Thoughts v Peterborough

kirsikka

UTC Legend
After an improved performance if not result at the weekend it was time to get the points along with a performance. We started all action, chasing all over the place and looking like we might carve them open only to spurn the opportunities.

Since the Stoke sending off there does seem to be an element of compensating from refs not wanting to give anything that could be deemed as even slightly soft. Fair enough on Saturday when it was the same for both sides. Not so good tonight when it was a one way process. A really poor performance from the ref on the non match-changing decisions. And note that I'm often prepared to stick up for refs.

First half, L Cook really looked a player again. Driving runs and nipping interceptions. Begged the question of what we do when Lerma comes back.

Sloppy defending to concede. Unlucky deflection but even so, the covering wasn't good and the challenges were poor.

We made lots of openings but snapped at our chances, not even getting them on target. Really wasteful finishing. In the first half we had 13 attempts on goal, they had 3. From that we had 1 on target, they had 2. That's the half summed up for you. Did their keeper even make a save from our total of 22 attempts in the match? I don't recall one.

The second half was an inferior showing than the the first. Posh sat back but for all our play, we created fewer clear openings than in the first period.

Promotion is back up for grabs for the chasing pack and we're the ones that have opened that door. If we don't go up automatically then failing to beat the teams near the bottom will be a large part of the cause.

I'm struggling with Parker's thinking here. Failing to break them down and his answer is to put a left winger that has struggled whenever he's been played on the right, on at right back.

Positive performances:
Christie - You can see how he makes the right side tick, and ergo the balance of the side. He's essential.

L Cook - Excellent first half. Not as impressive in the second, but few were.

Room for improvement:
Billing - Finishing has deserted him and as the auxiliary striker in the formation that's quite a miss. That two game suspension might be a blessing in disguise, both to give someone else a chance and to give him an opportunity to reset.

Solanke - He should be bullying defenders struggling at the bottom of the table. He isn't.

Kelly - Wasteful in possession at times with fairly simply things.

We created chances today the shooting wasn’t great.
In the end looked to be trying to force the pass

Was a really tough watch tonight. Created a few chances first half but so wasteful with our shooting. Christie and Cook the only players for me on form. Seem to be a team lacking in confidence, strange for a promotion hunting team. Was begging Parker to change it up and bring some subs on but he waited to the 87th min, strange! We are still in a great position but it was so exciting 7 years ago, this is a grind. Need to hit back with two wins (and performances) against Derby and Reading

If we had Posh on the rack, pinned in their area with the ball fizzing around near the goal with attempts testing the keeper I can understand why we might wait so late to make some changes.

We absolutely weren't doing that. It was timid management to wait so long and a bizarre first sub that I can't get my head around.

SACK HIM NOW
We just played the worst team in the league by a country mile and were STILL second best. Anybody who thinks we can genuinely go up under this clown is seriously deluded.

We try to play a possession based game but the positioning of our attacking players is so rigid it beggars belief. We are so ridiculously easy to play against it’s depressing. We work the ball out wide but then the player receiving it doesn’t have a team mate within 20 yards of him!! Parker is an absolute fraud. His tactics are dull beyond belief and make no sense. Hope he f**cks off and takes star boy Billing with him.

This was just not enjoyable.
If that was an understatement, here is another one.
We have to do a lot better on Saturday

There’s no creativity in the final third! Where’s the clever one-twos and cross overs gone from earlier in the season? Christie’s goal was down to individual skill and poor defending not a great team move. We have all these attack minded players (Solanke, Dembele, Cantwell, billing etc) and they have no fluidity or ideas upfront, Solanke was hopeless today, honestly don’t know why he was still on the pitch at the end. The game clearly needed a change upfront and what does our manager do? Puts on a winger and plays him at right back and waits till the 86th minute to put a midfielder and Lowe on - far too late to make an impact. I don’t know what’s going on in that training camp but it sure isn’t good enjoyable attack minded football. Solanke ran like a headless chicken today chancing balls and looked like he gave up in the second half. Hopeless boring appalling football, unless so called Parker ball has another evolution I’m starting to believe we might be seeing another play-offs this season.

;