Throwback Thursday : 84/85 v Dartford

Was that a replay?
I think I was probably at that game.
Lovely goal by the number 8,was it Robbie Russell or something ?

We got a 1-1 draw at Watling St to set up the replay I didn't go to Dartford but a few of mates did and said it was a bit scary to say the least, running battles all afternoon.

Yes this set up Man U away got stuffed 3-0 and the freezing train on the way home.

We got a 1-1 draw at Watling St to set up the replay I didn't go to Dartford but a few of mates did and said it was a bit scary to say the least, running battles all afternoon.

Yes this set up Man U away got stuffed 3-0 and the freezing train on the way home.
Away at Dartford was mad and dangerous. Millwall were away and decided to turn up and give us a kicking. Very hairy and no old bill to intervene. Happy days..............

We were drawn to play Dartford in the the FA Cup two years in a row. Both were drawn and needed a replay.

The first match in 84/85 at Watling Street was indeed the one where Millwall supporters turned up and were "rather unfriendly." It was a horrible cold, grey, damp, dark day. One end of the ground was just a grassy bank. Was just good to get away from there.

The winners going to Old Trafford is why I suppose that the TV cameras were there for the Dartford replay and why the attendance was higher than might otherwise have been.

The next season we played at home first and won the replay at Dartford. Then we had Dag and Red at home who we beat quite easily, if I remember. The "prize" being that wonderful trip New Year's trip to Wigan.

Last edited:
I remember that second year at Dartford in the Cup. evening replay, snowed on the way up around Dorking area, nearly got stuck at one point.
We won but the highlight of the evening was the team bus turning up at the chip shop we were in and Harry buying us our fish and chips and chatting to us while we ate them outside.

Went to both, although they were in December, not January ;-)

Unusual for the cameras to be Main Stand side though.

;