Ticketing points system

The club doesn’t understand two things when gauging final demand for away tickets from early sales.

First, people usually go to away matches with friends and family, and want to buy tickets together. So if two of you have ten points and three have four, you will wait until the 4+ point drop before buying.

Secondly, it is usually the blocks with the worst view which go on sale first, so sometimes people will wait for better blocks to go on sale.

I don’t use Twitter but if anyone wants to tweet these points for Jim Frevola to see, feel free.

Going to the lower decisions has nothing to do with it, as it was too long ago.

I had an ST for 25+ years, until the season after COVID, when I decided I couldn’t commit every weekend anymore. During those years I attended multiple away games every season, too.

I now only ever succeed at buying tickets for away games, as getting a ticket for a home match is pretty much impossible due to a lack of points. Substantial history counts for nothing in this system (which I was/am totally aware of).

I suspect I won’t be able to attend a home game again until a new stadium is built.

It would be nice if away points counted for something at home, but I don’t see the advantage of doing so from the club’s perspective.

I think new STs stopped after league one and our first season in the championship, happy to be corrected though.

They sold half season tickets mid way through the Championship winning season. So following promotion, everyone who purchased then became full season ticket holders in the Premier League.
That was the golden ticket!

I’m sure I’m not alone but I’ve never been to a home premier league game despite having been to half a dozen home cup games and probably close to 30 away premier league games. No system is perfect and I’m so glad we don’t have a system like some clubs where there’s no time cut off and you needed to have seen hundreds of games to get an away ticket!

I don’t think going to away games is an issue; if you need to get a point just buy one for a northern game that goes on general sale and then you can get a ticket for almost all other away games (saints being the exception).

The only way of solving the home ticket issue is by increasing capacity.

I do think its about time the club had a "tidy up" or "own up without retribution" check-up on existing season ticket holders - there must be loads of people using tickets from people sadly no longer with us etc. Other clubs have done this.

I’m sure I’m not alone but I’ve never been to a home premier league game despite having been to half a dozen home cup games and probably close to 30 away premier league games. No system is perfect and I’m so glad we don’t have a system like some clubs where there’s no time cut off and you needed to have seen hundreds of games to get an away ticket!

I don’t think going to away games is an issue; if you need to get a point just buy one for a northern game that goes on general sale and then you can get a ticket for almost all other away games (saints being the exception).

The only way of solving the home ticket issue is by increasing capacity.

The Sheffield United system is much complained about here. There is no time cut off, so people who attended lots of games in the past but none in the last 5 years would still be near the top of the queue. It is almost impossible for new people to break into the closed shop. You need thousands of points

I'm maybe biased, but I like the current system (although thought that the suggestion of X away points or Y home points for the tiers was potentially a good idea). My son and I have now got max away points despite only attending for the last few years. Being in the North and in the Championship helped. We've only a couple of home points but I would feel uncomfortable taking home seats from people in the Bournemouth area

I don't understand why we'd need to tinker with the home points system, as we're selling out every home game on the 4th or 5th point drop. I'm a season ticket holder, so won't affect me, but I can't see the problem.

As for the Everton tickets, can't believe they're saying the uptake wasn't quick enough when it sold out on 1 point on Sunday morning with a month to go until the game. And all the 1 point tickets were restricted view.

We were never gonna take up the extra allocation, they've used that line all season, and not once have we put more tickets on sale once the initial allocation has sold out. (With the exception of maybe West Ham).

I do think its about time the club had a "tidy up" or "own up without retribution" check-up on existing season ticket holders - there must be loads of people using tickets from people sadly no longer with us etc. Other clubs have done this.

If you weren't going to give it up when the previous owner stopped using it why would the club asking nicely change your mind? Would the club transfer ownership of the ST or would the new owner just get stiffed?

If you weren't going to give it up when the previous owner stopped using it why would the club asking nicely change your mind? Would the club transfer ownership of the ST or would the new owner just get stiffed?

I don't know. But I suspect a reasonable proportion of st's aren't in the "correct" hands, and out of fairness to those struggling to get tickets for home games, its just an idea.

Red 'dead' Army
Manchester United have revealed that an estimated 1,800 of its registered season ticket holders are actually dead.

The fans are not cheering the Reds on from beyond the grave - their families have held on to the tickets so they would not lose a coveted seat at Old Trafford.

The club has now agreed to give the family members the chance to come clean.

If they do, they will get to keep the season ticket in their own name.

Families like to hand them down like heirlooms
Paddy Harverson, Manchester United

Paddy Harverson, the club's director of communications, said it was about taking a "common sense" approach to the issue.

"We want to give those fans who have season tickets in other names to go legit," he added.

"Season ticket holders can change the name on the ticket and we will turn a blind eye.

Last edited:
The club's official line (as I was looking into this recently) is that continued use of a dead relative's ST by someone else is against policy and liable to sanction (whatever that means?) if found out... But it cannot be transferred and must go into the general sale pot for home points holders.

So there's basically no incentive to be honest about it, but yes that practice undoubtedly hurts non ST holders who scramble for the general sale tickets.

On the subject of tickets if anyone knows of anyone not using theirs I need 3. I went on the site this morning where it said tickets left and when I entered 3 it said there were insufficient tickets left!

On the subject of tickets if anyone knows of anyone not using theirs I need 3. I went on the site this morning where it said tickets left and when I entered 3 it said there were insufficient tickets left!
... and in there lies for the problem... It's not that there aren't spare seats, it's that people/groups/families cannot get them next to each other...

Last edited:

They have done some checks with students and concessions etc of non st’s but as you say I think Mis use among STs is probably rife…..

;