Tightening the purse strings.

Winsor Cherry

Star Player
I think most people would agree that football finance is crazy, it appears virtually every club overspends irrespective of the country they play in or the division they represent, this appears to be true regardless of the income that they receive.

Regarding AFCB we have 'enjoyed' 5 years at the top table and received approx £600m. To my knowledge the longest contract we have ever offered a player is 5yrs so our entire squad have had their contracts negotiated whilst we were in the Premier League. So whilst we were guaranteed £125M a year surely we should have been capable of budgeting to that. It enabled us to offer attractive salaries like the one accepted by Callum & the one we offered that wee Scrote I mean Wee Scot whilst also buying players for huge sums. This was apparently the priority rather than a stadium buy back or new build as survival in the PL was deemed more important.

We all knew the circus of the Premier League would come to an end, most of us believed it was likely after our first season ironically it happened after our fifth season when most would argue we had our best ever squad and we were quietly confident of a solid Top10 finish.

We now hear it's a budget appointment, a firesale, we must off load, we cannot afford, we need to streamline, redundancies, so tinpot (some things don't change) etc etc...

Perhaps we should have offered contracts that were not only affordable in the Premiership (Wellsworld) but also affordable in the Championship ie by inserting significant relegation clauses, maybe offer Callum £100K a week but instead of a token 25% off if relegated (unless we can afford it) perhaps 80% off dropping to £20K on relegation would be more realstic and more importantly affordable. This might have resulted in these highly paid stars actually performing and collectively busting a gut inorder to survive and maintain their super wealth status. Its all very well accepting that relegated clubs have to strip the high earners out but why do we allow them to be high earners 1/ after failure and 2/ by putting our clubs very future at risk.

It appears the pressure is on for instant promotion before the parachute payments reduce/stop. My current concern is that the majority of our squad are probably being paid more than we can really afford so failure to jump straight back may result in us having to break up a good squad.

I hope any new contracts offer a healthy bonus for promotion but conversely a suitable reduction on relegation or we will sadly be in a similar situation all over again, granted the drop from PL To Championship is far far greater than Championship to League 1.

Really looking forward to the season and hope that we get off to a good start where perhaps the team performs as it used to, greater than the sum of its parts so we don't have the vultures circling in January.

:utc:

;