To rotate or not rotate

• Thread starter removed at users request
  • Start date
Phuck rotating we are here to win every league game and went out the Cup early for that reason I hope.
Rotation in a 46 game season to some degree is vital. The midfield three of Lerma, Pearson and Billing will work well in some games, but in others it will be too defensive and we will require more creativity. Not as simple as just playing the same team every week. Even in 14/15 we rotated Pitman and Kermogant.

Rotation in a 46 game season to some degree is vital. The midfield three of Lerma, Pearson and Billing will work well in some games, but in others it will be too defensive and we will require more creativity. Not as simple as just playing the same team every week. Even in 14/15 we rotated Pitman and Kermogant.

Now is not the time for that though, we have some momentum, we're unbeaten and only in September, come Christmas when the schedule, injuries and form effect us the most then yes we should rotate but not now.
Luton are dangerous and beat us at DC last year, need to play the best squad possible to win.

Now is not the time for that though, we have some momentum, we're unbeaten and only in September, come Christmas when the schedule, injuries and form effect us the most then yes we should rotate but not now.
Luton are dangerous and beat us at DC last year, need to play the best squad possible to win.
The point is that the best team possible will vary at times depending on the opposition. If Luton come and play with a low block for example, our chances of breaking them down reduce significantly with Pearson picked ahead of Christie. The onus will be on us to create. Against Sheffield United however they will likely come at us and look to play through us, so we will need Pearson to shield the back four and give us more control in the middle of the park. Pearson, Lerma and Billing works in certain games, in others it won’t. The fact that Parker started Christie ahead of Pearson vs QPR shows that he recognises this too.

The point is that the best team possible will vary at times depending on the opposition. If Luton come and play with a low block for example, our chances of breaking them down reduce significantly with Pearson picked ahead of Christie. The onus will be on us to create. Against Sheffield United however they will likely come at us and look to play through us, so we will need Pearson to shield the back four and give us more control in the middle of the park. Pearson, Lerma and Billing works in certain games, in others it won’t. The fact that Parker started Christie ahead of Pearson vs QPR shows that he recognises this too.

Yes different teams will call for different tactics and at times players. I think Christie will be a good player for us as he has a decent pedigree and is a Scotland international but in the QPR game if I'm honest I thought he was anonymous the whole match as was Lerma to be fair so we managed to win the game without a midfield pretty much.
When Pearson plays you know he's playing and the same goes normally for Lerma, and Billing because of his stature and advanced position these days although to be honest it feels like he's had a free role position now since Woodgate.

I think that Billing has 100% made that free role position his own. He also has struck up an excellent partnership with Solanke. As well as their inter passing (eg when Billing hit the post v QPR), when other players have the ball Solanke and Billing attack different areas of space. So they rarely get in each other’s way and they provide at least two central attacking options whenever Anthony/Zemura or Christie or Brooks/Smith find space on the flanks or cut in.

I have seen Brooks play very well in that free role/withdrawn number 10 position for Wales and Christie can play there as well. So we have cover should Billing get injured, banned or lose form which is great.

But for now, I wouldn’t mess with any of the players I’ve mentioned above other than the need to choose between Christie and Brooks wide right. Personally for now I would opt for Christie for his greater energy, physicality and so as to continue to integrate him into the team.

Other than that I would be inclined to start Mepham ahead of Cahill from time to time and, personally, I would play Kilkenny against Luton instead of Pearson because of Kilkenny’s creativity. But I think that there is more chance of SP turning up in jogging pants and a ripped tee shirt than the latter.

I think that Billing has 100% made that free role position his own. He also has struck up an excellent partnership with Solanke. As well as their inter passing (eg when Billing hit the post v QPR), when other players have the ball Solanke and Billing attack different areas of space. So they rarely get in each other’s way and they provide at least two central attacking options whenever Anthony/Zemura or Christie or Brooks/Smith find space on the flanks or cut in.

I have seen Brooks play very well in that free role/withdrawn number 10 position for Wales and Christie can play there as well. So we have cover should Billing get injured, banned or lose form which is great.

But for now, I wouldn’t mess with any of the players I’ve mentioned above other than the need to choose between Christie and Brooks wide right. Personally for now I would opt for Christie for his greater energy, physicality and so as to continue to integrate him into the team.

Other than that I would be inclined to start Mepham ahead of Cahill from time to time and, personally, I would play Kilkenny against Luton instead of Pearson because of Kilkenny’s creativity. But I think that there is more chance of SP turning up in jogging pants and a ripped tee shirt than the latter.

I agree in regards to Billing's free role position, he took it and hasn't looked back since. Under EH and Tindall he was obviously told to be this box to box destroyer which he certainly isn't despite his stature he's not even comfortable heading the ball for a guy whose 6'4", so one had to look through his physical attributes which JW did tbf and said you're most comfortable as a CAM free role as your good on the ball in advanced areas, good at creating chances, for the attack and getting a few goals by not having that responsibility of running back when a pacey winger or fullback is on the counter like in the PL. And Scotty has obviously continued with that probably having looked at his form pre JW and after.

;