Transfer Window - The Verdict

...And can't quite believe the guys heading to Rangers were truly on a path to a higher destiny. Last year JS was up against Salah and Sterling at packed stadiums...next year Alloa away!

You mean this season it was Rotherham away and next season they'll be playing in Europe...

Reasonably positive though would have liked a new left wing back as others have stated.

That said, I’m fully anticipating my positivity to be quashed by 7:45 tonight when we’re 1-0 down, Billing has started the game and has run a total of 45 yards, Rico has given away 13 silly free kicks, Solanke is yet to touch the ball and Lerma has been sent off for winning a header.

I think we've come through on a slight plus. King's gone, not before time. Gosling has moved on, been a good servant to the club. And one or two others who haven't really had much effect on events. Pearson, Wilshire and (I hope) Long will bring in experience and have a positive effect on the rest of the team. Woodgate could be interesting, I hope he gets his experience across on to our defence at least.

We went into the transfer window needing to address one massive hole in the team - an up and down left back in the mould that JT wants his fullbacks to play, whether they are playing as wingbacks or in a four.

We spent weeks dancing around Matt Ritchie only to have his boyfriend storm over from the bar and tell us he isn't available just before closing time. Maybe we should have checked that out early on and moved to another target?

So, on that basis, it hasn't been great.

I'm tentatively pleased with Pearson and understand the logic of Long but have no clue if he will be successful with us.

Still, a failure to land the number one target makes it a failure.

Time for Rico/Kelly/Zemura to step into that hole in the side and make it work.

I actually don't quite agree that the left back position was our priority. If you look at where most of our problems have come from, either from a defensive or attacking perspective, this season and the past few seasons, it's actually in the centre of the park. We tend to get regularly outnumbered or stifled in this area so I was extremely happy that our 2 quality additions have been in midfield. I really didn't feel that a midfield 3 of Billing, Lerma and Cook was going to get us out of our poor run of form so it's good to have some competition in this area. I also feel like Shane Long could help with the link up play between midfield and the forwards.

I do think that we have quality left backs in Rico and Kelly, it's just that the team needs to be better balanced in order to not put them under huge amounts of pressure and get the best out of them from an attacking perspective.

I would also argue that it is our wingers who have been more lacking in terms of delivery of early balls and link up with the full backs (including defensive covering duties) of late. Again, there is no question of their quality but the form and decision making has been poor. Some of this may have been formation driven but it's also clear that we are not playing some simple passes that would result in a tap in goal.

Anyway in conclusion I think we've had a successful window and hopefully we'll figure out our best XI, formation and tactics sooner rather than later.

Good question Rob. Allegedly a fee was agreed between the two clubs and then NOTHING. It was either a BS rumour or maybe we couldn't agree player terms. Perhaps we withdrew the offer at the last minute ?
If anybody has any more info on this one, we'd be glad to hear it.

The replies to the tweet were generally from Pompey fans, pissing themselves that this story had got so far. It sounds like it was their equivalent of a Lord Snooty rumor, trying to get rid of a player they all think is a bit pants!

thought it was an ok window. The ins out weighed the outs. Yes King will be a miss but he wanted to leave 6 months ago, and missed a bunch of games. He comes back and we stop scoring :)

JT has brought in two work horses in Pearson and also Long.

Wilshere we know about and keeping fit and free from injuries, he will be an important player until the end of the season.

JT has brought three players with experience.

Pearson experience of the Championship and the other two experience of playing in the top league for a good time.

Disappointed to see Gossa go , not everyone’s cup of tea but a player that gave 100% for the badge every game he played ..good luck !!

Shame players like King get reams of good luck messages when he couldn’t give a sh*t half the time , but a club servant like Dan barely gets a mention.

Last edited:
it's hard to believe that Wilshere is still in his 20's (29). Unbelievable he was 24/25 when he came to us originally and even then it seemed like he have been around forever.

You never know what was really possible or come end of season if it's worth it.

My sense is though we have done some useful changes without causing disruption, keeping the right squad size and have good depth. There are still players like Wilshere was, out there available without contracts if we really need them.

I do enjoy the 'we' need a LB/LWB comments. It's a valid opinion, but so often written as if it's a fact.

The team spirit will come from one thing only, winning.

You never know what was really possible or come end of season if it's worth it.

My sense is though we have done some useful changes without causing disruption, keeping the right squad size and have good depth. There are still players like Wilshere was, out there available without contracts if we really need them.

I do enjoy the 'we' need a LB/LWB comments. It's a valid opinion, but so often written as if it's a fact.

The team spirit will come from one thing only, winning.

I know what your saying but I never really sensed a team spirit even when we were winning ...but none of are in the dressing room so who knows .

Sums it up for me, don’t mind so much if he’s given a chance. But if we persist with Rico and Kelly then I’d say the window has been a failure as we haven’t addressed the most glaring weakness of the team.

Kelly was a star for Bristol city in the same division and the same position , what’s gone wrong .

So was the Pompey player signing posted in error?

We haven't signed Ritchie, but we don't know why it was suddenly ruled out yesterday. So I dont think that can necessarily be classed as a failure.

Ben Close was the player, I saw it, disappeared. I checked the Pompey website, papers etc. and there was no mention of him.

Kelly was a star for Bristol city in the same division and the same position , what’s gone wrong .
It is puzzling. He looked brilliant at the end of last season too against far superior opposition, now he just looks like a kid who’s out of his depth.

;