Transport for Wednesday night

ErikthViking

UTC Legend
This has been mentioned on other threads but perhaps it requires one of its own for folks to leave suggestions.

Last night, I received the e-mail from the club, Your matchday information for Palace.

It contained these words:

SEVERE DISRUPTION ON RAILWAYS

There will be a limited London Overground serving Norwood Junction throughout the day, including the pre-match arrival period. From 9pm, Norwood Junction station will be closed, and supporters (as well as non-football customers) will be unable to use the railway after the game.

Further to this, Selhurst Station will be closed all day on Wednesday to facilitate engineering works and will not be reopening in time for post-match travel.

There will also be very limited National Rail services from stations further afield (for example, East Croydon), so fans need to plan their journeys very carefully, avoiding rail travel wherever possible. Arriva Rail London staff will be on hand at Norwood Junction to assist customers alighting London Overground services and provide directions to the stadium. At this point, they will be reminding customers about the absence of trains after the game to prevent them from returning to the station (and also to prevent them from walking to Selhurst Station after the game, as this will be closed as well).

Any bright ideas?

And this is why I haven't bothered getting a ticket for the Palace game. Context - I never miss a game in London if I can help it. It's the worst ground in the Prem to get to and to watch from. Nothing about the experience is enjoyable, except occasionally (rarely) the result. I applaud those of you who will be making the effort to get there on Wednesday, I hope you are rewarded big time for your efforts, but I'll be cheering from my sofa.

Where are you heading in from / back to Erik? If you need the rail network, maybe sit tight with a refreshment for a bit afterwards, and then get a cab to somewhere on the Tube, like Brixton (Victoria) or Tooting (Northern).

Not that I'd suggest a lowly Palace / Bournemouth match would have any impact on events, but jeez - between the engineering works and the strike you couldn't mess up the logistics for this match more if you were actively trying.

That we've sold out is a good effort.

There is an excellent bus network so assume that is working. Similarly, Croydon has a tram network that extends to Wimbledon that opens up the west for travel - not sure if that is affected by strikes?

There is an excellent bus network so assume that is working. Similarly, Croydon has a tram network that extends to Wimbledon that opens up the west for travel - not sure if that is affected by strikes?
True, but can you imagine the queues for the bus afterwards. I gave up on this one long ago when strikes were likely.

Where are you heading in from / back to Erik? If you need the rail network, maybe sit tight with a refreshment for a bit afterwards, and then get a cab to somewhere on the Tube, like Brixton (Victoria) or Tooting (Northern).

Not that I'd suggest a lowly Palace / Bournemouth match would have any impact on events, but jeez - between the engineering works and the strike you couldn't mess up the logistics for this match more if you were actively trying.

That we've sold out is a good effort.
Staying at Euston to get the train up to Manchester.

There is an excellent bus network so assume that is working.
Thanks both. Bus to Brixton is a possibility.

True, but can you imagine the queues for the bus afterwards. I gave up on this one long ago when strikes were likely.
Any travel option is going to be busy for an evening ko in London with a train strike.

Thus, won’t blame anyone for not travelling especially given the awful view in the ground and palace’s ability to stop teams playing.

Buses are decent in London though

This has been mentioned on other threads but perhaps it requires one of its own for folks to leave suggestions.

Last night, I received the e-mail from the club, Your matchday information for Palace.

It contained these words:

SEVERE DISRUPTION ON RAILWAYS

There will be a limited London Overground serving Norwood Junction throughout the day, including the pre-match arrival period. From 9pm, Norwood Junction station will be closed, and supporters (as well as non-football customers) will be unable to use the railway after the game.

Further to this, Selhurst Station will be closed all day on Wednesday to facilitate engineering works and will not be reopening in time for post-match travel.

There will also be very limited National Rail services from stations further afield (for example, East Croydon), so fans need to plan their journeys very carefully, avoiding rail travel wherever possible. Arriva Rail London staff will be on hand at Norwood Junction to assist customers alighting London Overground services and provide directions to the stadium. At this point, they will be reminding customers about the absence of trains after the game to prevent them from returning to the station (and also to prevent them from walking to Selhurst Station after the game, as this will be closed as well).

Any bright ideas?
I don't know if the WATC (Wacky Alternative Travel Club) are still active. Perhaps hot air balloon may be an option.

Any travel option is going to be busy for an evening ko in London with a train strike.

Thus, won’t blame anyone for not travelling especially given the awful view in the ground and palace’s ability to stop teams playing.

Buses are decent in London though
Yes plenty of tram/bus options, just look on tfl website.
Its saying for me a train to Wimbledon still running from surbiton then tram to West Croydon and bus to selhurst.
Uber for part of it also an option.

Yes plenty of tram/bus options, just look on tfl website.
Its saying for me a train to Wimbledon still running from surbiton then tram to West Croydon and bus to selhurst.
Uber for part of it also an option.
Worst case you could walk for 35 mins from west Croydon but plenty of buses that go to Whitehorse lane

Staying at Euston to get the train up to Manchester.

Thanks both. Bus to Brixton is a possibility.
Thameslink is working so perhaps a train from St Pancras to Croydon East and then a bus? to the stadium? I don't live in London and I don't really know if you can get a bus from Croydon.

When are you travelling to Manchester. I am going back on Thursday afternoon.

Thameslink is working so perhaps a train from St Pancras to Croydon East and then a bus? to the stadium? I don't live in London and I don't really know if you can get a bus from Croydon.

When are you travelling to Manchester. I am going back on Thursday afternoon.
Thursday morning. Then going on to Blackpool to stay there because it is so very much cheaper.

For Saturday, I am considering the Briton's Protection for a lunchtime pint, then walk along the canal to OT.

Re the strikes.

My son’s friends husband is a Brighton fan but lives in London. He and his wife plus his father and a friend were flying to Athens to see Brighton play their Euro League game there.

They had rented an Airbnb near the Acropolis and invited my son to join them, as they were staying until Sunday.

He flew out on Thursday on a much cheaper flight as he would land well after the game had started.

While in Athens he went to see Fatboy Slim who was doing a gig out there.

My son had booked a late and cheaper flight back to Gatwick which arrived back around 1 am. His problem then because of the strike was getting back to South East London, an Uber would cost a lot, so he ended up in one of the hotels at Gatwick for the night and the money he saved on the late flight was spent on his overnight stay.

Last edited:
N
If they needed any help filling the balloon up maybe you could talk into it for five minutes.
Nope. A dose of reality and realism and saying how it is will not inflate any balloon. As you well know the poster 'Borisatha' often has nothing constructive to say on any given topic. So I am sure she will be able to assist with her continuous hot air emitting from both her facial orafice and digestive drparture lounge.

Hope this helps.

Walk to East Croydon and then Thameslink train to Kings Cross/St Pancras is the best option. Might be a queue at Easy Croydon but the trains are huge, pretty regular and run late so you’ll be ok. If you see a pub on the walk to Easy Croydon you like the look go in.

Alternatively it looks like Crystal Palace overground station is open; again a bit of a walk.

If you are able to I wouldn’t bother with buses. They are terrible even when all the trains are running!

It may be sold out but I predict lots of empty seats - I’m not going now.

Agreed with comments above above walking to / from East Croydon. It’s about 30 mins or so depending on how quickly you walk! Thameslink will be running. It’ll be busy but, as the line serves Gatwick, they are full length trains (and reasonably regular). I’ve messed about with other stations in the past (Selhurst / Thornton Heath etc) and it’s just not worth the hassle just to get c.15 mins closer. A coupe of decent pubs en route too … but home fans only so tuck your colours away and remember to use your best Del Boy accent when ordering a pint.

;