Twitter -> Nitter

Kudos

UTC Legend
Is anyone else getting pissed off with the login nags on Twitter or want to read what feels like every 5th post without signing up?

I found there's a mirror called Nitter that will allow you to do just that and there's an extension for Firefox (Nitter Redirect – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US) (mozilla.org) ) and Chrome/Edge (Nitter Redirect - Chrome Web Store (google.com) ) that will automatically redirect you to a much cleaner website without nag screens.

It was doing my head in so hopefully it's a handy tip for others!

Being logged in doesn’t seem to help. Feels like my entire newsfeed is simply suggestions, posts because someone I follow follows this, trending or ads.

It’s a rarity that someone I actually follow appears on my feed.

Being logged in doesn’t seem to help. Feels like my entire newsfeed is simply suggestions, posts because someone I follow follows this, trending or ads.

I think you might be able to tidy Twitter up using an extension called Grease Monkey which allows you to apply user scripts from places like Greasy Fork User scripts for twitter.com (greasyfork.org) but not sure if that will fix stuff that the algorithm is spitting out.

Interestingly if you're very privacy-focused it looks like there are a number of private and 'ethical' alternatives to accessing 'free' services where you're the product.
  • YouTube ➝ Invidious
  • Google/Bing ➝ SearX
  • Reddit ➝ Libreddit
  • Twitter ➝ Nitter
  • Instagram ➝ Bibliogram
  • Wikipedia ➝ Wikiless
  • Medium ➝ Scribe
  • i.Imgur ➝ Rimgo
  • Odysee ➝ Librarian
  • TikTok ➝ ProxiTok

Same with Instagram. I'm being fed all manner of superfluous, asinine wank instead of stuff from people I follow. If the algorithm thinks I'm that basic, I suppose I am.

If it makes you feel better I still don't know to play shove ha'penny maybe we could exchange knowledge ;)

Well I'm not going to teach you.

I was taught the finer points by old blokes down the Globe in Herston when I was much much younger.
This was in exchange for beer and having to sit and listen to them going on about the war.

Years later, I wish I'd listened more to what they had done and seen.

I completely understand how bothersome it can be to repeatedly enter your login credentials every time you want to access the platform. It's like they're constantly trying to reel you in, right?Thanks a bunch for sharing the Nitter tip and those browser extensions. It's always great to discover workarounds that make our online experience smoother. Twitter should be about engaging with content, not constantly signing in!If you ever want to take your Twitter game to the next level and boost your online presence, you might want to consider getting yourself an aged Twitter account. They come with a bit of history and can help you stand out in the Twitterverse.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if, rather than a bot, it's a performance piece from an artist posing as a bot. It's almost too on the nose random to have been programmed this way.

;