VAR

I suppose this is one of the two threads where we can risk going all-smhinto and repeating ourselves .... Brexit being the other, although on that one I get so confused that I'm not sure who stands for what!

I have posted on "instant replay" in North American sports before, but for NFL specifically ......
1) when it works, it works - this past weekend was the first round of playoffs and it came into use a number of times at critical stages.
2) it doesn't fix an ambiguous rule. Earlier on this tread, hand-ball was mentioned as something that is unclear by nature. Same in the NFL. They have struggled with a "legal catch" definition for a few years, is still a problem. So even if you see it a number of times on replay, it is still subject to interpretation.
3) And not everything is reviewable, which can be very disconcerting when an incorrect call is allowed to stand because it is not, by the laws of the game, subject to review.
4) agree that NFL is stop/start, but it is also a game of momentum. A team on offense might have the opposition on the run, defense tired. The QB hurries the team up to the line, but then the whistle gets blown for a replay look.
5) NFL games run at least 3 hours already ... replay does add a few minutes to that.
6) there is an element of anti-climax when replay is required, especially on a touchdown - did ball break the plane of the goal line or not? As someone said, can be a big let-down or lead to a double celebration.
7) NFL teams can call three time-outs per half (wouldn't that be something for Eddie to have in his back pocket when we are having one of our defensive "spells"). A coach's challenge, if shown to be wrong, costs one of those time-outs.
8) Officials are slowly figuring out that the play should be allowed to run - only blow the whistle when certain the play is dead. This allows replay to correct errors (replay is looked at in the background for all scoring plays and turnovers ... i.e. no coach's challenge required). Linos should definitely take this approach when VAR comes in.
9) NFL has 7 on field officials. On questionable plays - in/out of bounds being a good one, penalty calls being another - the officials do huddle to try to get it right.

All in all, as I said at the top, when it works, it works. But will not fix all ills.
For me, the most brilliant aspect of video replay in NA Football is the ability for a team to "challenge" the call (or non-call) after a play. So far, the biggest problem with VAR is that it is used arbitrarily.
If Eddie can tell the 4th official "we want you to review that play because Callum Wilson was dragged down in the box while trying to receive a pass", well now they actually have something concrete to assess. They then have to be honest and say "No, Wilson just dived" rather than some BS-line like "VAR was used to review the play and nothing was found".

So to sum up, in a cup semi final, VAR has over ruled the Lino for an offiside decision and possibly/probably got it wrong.

It’s impossible to be absolutely accurate even with multiple angles, which is why goal line technology isn’t just a couple of cameras.

Shambles.

The pic Sarri was using, the ball has already left the players foot. They have very conveniently cropped that out of the image in that article.

The pic Sarri was using, the ball has already left the players foot. They have very conveniently cropped that out of the image in that article.

I’ve seen the pic with the ball in it, it’s blurred, it’s the point of impact, it’s a screenshot and it’s everything why you cannot rely on it being accurate enough to overrule the linesman.

Also, the line is drawn on the ground and at that angle the line needs to be higher to be 'in line' with Kane's upper body.

Anyone think we'd have had a penalty with Gomes hauling Lerma to the ground today at the end if VAR had been there? Don't really blame the ref for that one, so much to look at when the ball's going in the box from those chances.

VAR will slow down what is a fast-paced entertaining concept and referees will STILL be influenced/bullied by the large crowds at the big clubs. Likewise Linesmen! Fear of intimidation and physical abuse!
Then...there are the MONEY interventions......no point in anyone challenging my opinion on this with any force....by all means offer up your reasons to support it and provide other angles on the problem ..but I've seen and heard enough to feel happy with my view!

Anyone think we'd have had a penalty with Gomes hauling Lerma to the ground today at the end if VAR had been there? Don't really blame the ref for that one, so much to look at when the ball's going in the box from those chances.

Probably. But they’d have got one for Ake’s hand being up when it hit it from two yards because they always looks worse in slowmo.

The real issue yesterday was Gomes staying on the pitch for his five or six bookable offences. None of which would be rectified by VAR.

Probably. But they’d have got one for Ake’s hand being up when it hit it from two yards because they always looks worse in slowmo.

The real issue yesterday was Gomes staying on the pitch for his five or six bookable offences. None of which would be rectified by VAR.
No way would Ake's have been given even with VAR. No movement to the ball at all even in slo mo. Agree about the lack of second yellows. VAR isn't and can't solve everything but where we can help the refs we should

I'm a fan of VAR and I'm amazed it can be applied like that. Offside decisions are always benefit of the doubt with the striker and it's virtually impossible to show the Derby player as offside.

Haven't seen it, so don't know how close it was, but was it offside or not?
Even if it's a toenail offside, you have to draw the line somewhere don't you? Whatever that line is - and this is the problem, it needs to be the same for every game and team.
I wonder if we can get the computer to do that bit, the VAR pauses when the ball was played (yes this could be done a frame or so later to help the big boys) and the computer program draws the lines and says which player is furthest forward? I would be surprised if that sort of technology isn't possible?

Trouble is how do you know exactly when the ball leaves the players boot as it is played forward. May well not be totally clear from the camera in which case you cannot say 100% where the "offending" player is at the crucial time.
There will always be arguments, thats why I don't think it is an improvement in very marginal cases.

Trouble is how do you know exactly when the ball leaves the players boot as it is played forward. May well not be totally clear from the camera in which case you cannot say 100% where the "offending" player is at the crucial time.
There will always be arguments, thats why I don't think it is an improvement in very marginal cases.
I’ve always thought this. If the freeze frame is a fraction out out as to when the ball leaves contact with the attacking players pass the outcome could be wrong.

;