VAR

Maybe we just don’t hear about the errors week on week ?

Just in European games where the officials are going to be better - hopefully!

VAR was never going to get everything “right “ as most decisions are subjective.

If that is what people expected out of VAR then they were mistaken and should have been told so at start rather than being promised it would clear things up and there would be nothing go to debate .

TBH the main issue for fans seems to be how slow the system is and the lack of communication more than anything else.
ha weird, when re-reading my note I realised I said "here"...obviously I am not "here"

Anywho, when googling I was looking more for studies showing support for/against VAR

Here is a good one for example

ha weird, when re-reading my note I realised I said "here"...obviously I am not "here"

Anywho, when googling I was looking more for studies showing support for/against VAR

I can't find anywhere in that report which says where / how the surveys were conducted, but I would bet that it was a survey of people watching the games on tv, rather than those actually in the stadia

Trouble is whatever decision they make someone isn't going to like it but I bet for example the Everton fans and players will say well it's about time we got some luck going our way.

How will Howard Webb explain way this clear and obvious finding...

The Uefa Football Board says VAR needs to become more "consistent, transparent and understandable" for players, fans and coaches.
The board, which is led by former players and elite-level coaches, met in Nyon, Switzerland on Monday.
It said that VAR should be used as a tool to help referees, and that "its interventions should not be perceived as a negative judgement on referees themselves".
"It is clear that not everything on the pitch may be seen by the referee," the statement added.

The board also called for an improvement in player behaviour towards referees and officials, and to reduce instances of diving and time-wasting.

"The behaviour of players and coaches towards match officials in several recent instances has become a critical issue and does not contribute positively to the good image of the game," the statement said.
"The Board concluded that it is important for coaches to set the example for their teams and for the mobbing of officials to be eliminated."
They also called for a player-led campaign to discourage "situations of players faking injuries to gain an unfair advantage, waste time and disrupt the flow of the game".

For the sake of the argument. Let’s ignore the fact that referees and linos both act differently when they have VAR alongside them. Linos don’t make borderline decisions, referees lean on VAR for any goal incident or penalty etc.

Apparently this is how the table would look without it.

Ironically Nottingham Forest are not the club that has been affected the most this season.

For the sake of the argument. Let’s ignore the fact that referees and linos both act differently when they have VAR alongside them. Linos don’t make borderline decisions, referees lean on VAR for any goal incident or penalty etc.

Apparently this is how the table would look without it.

Ironically Nottingham Forest are not the club that has been affected the most this season.

I hate these things as they implicitly imply VAR is doing a good job and normally shows an underperforming big club as being the victim.

This only captures where a decision has been overturned by VAR, not when they apply it or indeed whether the correct decision was made.

I hate these things as they implicitly imply VAR is doing a good job and normally shows an underperforming big club as being the victim.

This only captures where a decision has been overturned by VAR, not when they apply it or indeed whether the correct decision was made.
Who knows what decisions would have been made without VAR and different refs might have given different decisions if they had been on the pitch or in the VAR booth so yes not rally a true reflection.

Just someone else's subjective opinion.]

People seem to get the idea that VAR will give the same decision each week and I think that where the trouble lies.

They all thought every handball would be given or not given for example.

People seem to get the idea that VAR will give the same decision each week and I think that where the trouble lies.
I'll put my hand up to belonging to that number. I don't think it's too hard to have 3+ people exposed to literally hundreds of examples with determination and give them a good enough feel for the correct call even if it's not bound tightly in law.

Given comparisons between Smith's "handball" and West Ham's volleyball spike. I'm clearly wrong!

I'll put my hand up to belonging to that number. I don't think it's too hard to have 3+ people exposed to literally hundreds of examples with determination and give them a good enough feel for the correct call even if it's not bound tightly in law.

Given comparisons between Smith's "handball" and West Ham's volleyball spike. I'm clearly wrong!
Yes I agree there have been some wildly inconsistent calls there is no doubt but each one seems to be debated for ever as much as it would have been before VAR.

And should there really be a difference between attacking handball and a defender doing it?

Go to a boxing model.

5 off pitch refs/linos all have a button. 4 of the 5 press the button then the on pitch ref is notified he got the decision wrong. Maybe connect it up to a tazer device to incentivise the ref to get it right in the first place.

CIA would approve.

Reactions: drd
How about having a bloke (or girl) on the pitch who runs around with a whistle making decisions, and 2 other blokes (or girls) that run up and down each side to determine when the ball has gone out or if someone is offside?
Revolutionary! Surely they've got to have i-Pads strapped to their chests so they can draw thin red lines every time someone's toenail strays into an offside position?

;