Villa at home 1971

Phil Boyer scoring the first goal in the 3-0 win. Just over 20,000 in the ground. I'm always amazed how many fans wore a collar and tie to the match in those days.
View attachment 12501
That is quite an interesting observation ( the shirt and tie thing ).
How times have changed !

Would you be allowed to wear a tie in the stadium these days ?
Is there not a safety concern with somebody using one to strangle or hang someone when things get "tasty" ?
Compared to a flask or an umbrella, in the wrong hands, I'd say that a tie is a deadly weapon :unsure:

Funny how times change in 50 years. I expect the people in that photo would say exactly the same thing when they looked at a photo from 50 years previous too.

I wonder what we're all doing now that will seem strange to folk in 50 years time.

gettyimages-1438668752-612x612.jpg

The tie thing was probably because many of the fans had come to Dean Court straight from work and then lunch somewhere near..no time to get a change of clothes at home - people worked on most Saturday mornings.

I wonder what we're all doing now that will seem strange to folk in 50 years time.
The complete lack of flasks and umbrellas will probably be quite disconcerting to them :p They'll probably presume that they hadn't been invented yet !

Last edited:
Phil Boyer scoring the first goal in the 3-0 win. Just over 20,000 in the ground. I'm always amazed how many fans wore a collar and tie to the match in those days.
View attachment 12501
Correct about the ties. Sad when one looks that the scruffy toilet types we see waddling the streets these days with their silly peaked cap worn back to front, beer gut sticking out, paint splattered trakkie bottoms with trainers with holes in the toes. Disgraceful

Talking about the way people used to dress for matches. I recall the John Benson era when one would spot the typical main stand supporter dressed Rupert the bear checked trousers, Jesus sandals, a silly polar necked sweater with Timothy White sun cream splattered over a balding head with an early edition of the Bournemouth Echo under ones arm. The chant would be "come on Bournemouth" every 20 minutes.

Correct about the ties. Sad when one looks that the scruffy toilet types we see waddling the streets these days with their silly peaked cap worn back to front, beer gut sticking out, paint splattered trakkie bottoms with trainers with holes in the toes. Disgraceful
Have you ever been on TV, Mr. R&R ?

Talking about the way people used to dress for matches. I recall the John Benson era when one would spot the typical main stand supporter dressed Rupert the bear checked trousers, Jesus sandals, a silly polar necked sweater with Timothy White sun cream splattered over a balding head with an early edition of the Bournemouth Echo under ones arm. The chant would be "come on Bournemouth" every 20 minutes.
That’s rich. From some one who wonders around Swindon in his tatty old Mothercare security guard uniform.
Instead of shouting ‘come on Bournemouth’. The locals gave to put up with ‘Hillman Imps, Hillman Imps, Hillman Imps’.

Did they ?
They did !
Just look at amount of the people in ties in the crowds...and it's evident.
In 66 I worked in a factory on Wallisdown Road..McDonagh Kitchens...and would leave at 1300 on Saturdays ( time and a half pay) . .and straight on to a yellow bus parked opposite Mountbatten Pub...which took me to Dean Court.
The Nation f√cking well worked in those days. . Ok there were a few strikes here and there but look at the mofo sh*t we are in now....

Last edited:
They did !
In 66 I worked in a factory on Wallisdown Road..McDonagh Kitchens...and would leave at 1300 on Saturdays ( time and a half pay) . .and straight on to a yellow bus parked opposite Mountbatten Pub...which took me to Dean Court.
The Nation f√cking well worked in those days. . Ok there were a few strikes here and there but look at the mofo sh*t we are in now....
Time and a half. Doing overtime then.
Not a normal working week.
Most small shops and some larger closed on Wednesday afternoons and some Saturday afternoons. Certainly no large stores open Sunday. Even local village cop shops were shut.

Last edited:
They did !
The UK weren't the inequality kings like we are now.

;