Wave Your Flags!

Come on, own up - who actually did as they were told when this flashed up on the screen?
I had a quick glance around the stands and I counted about six.

Saved on buying an Easter present for the grand-children, they stuck them on their heads and when running round the house, cue for me to leave...............

I think I can remember a trolleybus terminating at Wonderholme Parade (Kinson Road).

What number it was, I wouldn't have a scooby.

I can also remember a Paraffin dispenser in the wall on the Turbary Park Ave/Kinson Road junction.

It was very Hunger Games. Up went the screen and quite a few people around me did it. One step away from NBA’s ‘everybody clap your hands’ coming out on the tannoy.

It doesn’t bother me that much, I get more bothered that people follow the instruction rather than the fact it happens…

or it could just be a bit of fun to get the crowd going

for those unfamiliar with the term;

fun

: what provides amusement or enjoyment. specifically : playful often boisterous action or speech. full of fun. 2. : a mood for finding or making amusement.

It was very Hunger Games. Up went the screen and quite a few people around me did it. One step away from NBA’s ‘everybody clap your hands’ coming out on the tannoy.

It doesn’t bother me that much, I get more bothered that people follow the instruction rather than the fact it happens…

Groupthink.

Amazing how many behave like brainless seals when part of group/crowds....

Been to some very low rent/bottom rung entertainment things with daughter, and obviously expect kids to enjoy it, dance along, but find it almost disturbing/concerning (albeit amusing at times) how parents really get into it. Dancing along, taking it seriously etc... obviously doing it with their kids is fair enough, but when kids at front 20 odd metres away, just looks demented/moronic some of the time.

Check out these cool customers. Ideas for our home games perhaps.

:D

Kids love it, kids parents join in. People have fun.

Don’t want to do it, don’t join in. Easy really.

I have attended a number of MLS matches. Not one has been anything like sold out. This one, Real salt Lake vs San Jose Earthquakes was 2/3 full at the start.

RSL 1.JPG

Once people had had their fill of beer and grub people (families with bored kids, specially) started to drift away at half time. By the final whistle, it is possible that up to half had already gone home. Only the Spanish-speaking supporters group stayed to a man (in contrast to the rest of the ground there were few women in the standing section reserved for them).

RSL 10.JPG

It was only the supporters group that made any noise at all. So not surprisingly, perhaps, they announced the score at the end to enlighten the remaining crowd as to what happened on the pitch - not a lot actually - think Dyche plus Benson plus Groves plus Quinn. This was one bit of action, though.

RSL 13.JPG

There was more action off the pitch with folks who kept shouting food orders, getting up to get food, deliver drinks, kids running around, etc. Apart from the aforementioned Latinx group who had a band, marched into the stadium en masse ...

RSL band.JPG

... and - at times - made a concerted effort, the atmosphere felt heavy and dull. No wonder then, they had the directed singing of the club dirge anthem via the screen at the beginning and after each RSL goal (there were two).

RSL song 1.JPG

You also get a chance to see yourself on the screen (seemingly, a big thing in US sports).
Note: RIOT refers not to raucous behaviour but the (now former) sponsor of the stadium RIO Tinto plc

RSL Song 2.JPG

Apart from the signing of the funeral march club anthem (which was artificially boosted by a recording from the tannoy system), there were staged directions to wave flags, etc. including this one...

RSL scarves.JPG

The real funny thing was that, even at 8pm on a Saturday evening, it was still 26 Celsius and no-one, upon no-one had a scarf. Only a fool would have one in that heat (yes, I did). So, when are we getting this delight at Dean Court?

The orchestrated shows of support were totally alien to me. I would not want to attend this kind of event every other week. Even the Spanish-speaking supporters group seemed as much for the entertainment of the crowd as to increase the atmosphere and boost the team.

The above might be enjoyable for some but, in my opinion, it ruined the attempt at football.

I have to say, to balance things up a little, that I have also watched the women's team play. The standard on the pitch was superior to the men's game and the crowd reacted spontaneously to events on the pitch. People actually came to watch the match!

Last edited:
I have attended a number of MLS matches. Not one has been anything like sold out. This one, Real salt Lake vs San Jose Earthquakes was 2/3 full at the start.

View attachment 13712

Once people had had their fill of beer and grub people (families with bored kids, specially) started to drift away at half time. By the final whistle, it is possible that up to half had already gone home. Only the Spanish-speaking supporters group stayed to a man (in contrast to the rest of the ground there were few women in the standing section reserved for them).

View attachment 13714

It was only the supporters group that made any noise at all. So not surprisingly, perhaps, they announced the score at the end to enlighten the remaining crowd as to what happened on the pitch - not a lot actually - think Dyche plus Benson plus Groves plus Quinn. This was one bit of action, though.

View attachment 13715

There was more action off the pitch with folks who kept shouting food orders, getting up to get food, deliver drinks, kids running around, etc. Apart from the aforementioned Latinx group who had a band, marched into the stadium en masse ...

View attachment 13716

... and - at times - made a concerted effort, the atmosphere felt heavy and dull. No wonder then, they had the directed singing of the club dirge anthem via the screen at the beginning and after each RSL goal (there were two).

View attachment 13717

You also get a chance to see yourself on the screen (seemingly, a big thing in US sports).
Note: RIOT refers not to raucous behaviour but the (now former) sponsor of the stadium RIO Tinto plc

View attachment 13718

Apart from the signing of the funeral march club anthem (which was artificially boosted by a recording from the tannoy system), there were staged directions to wave flags, etc. including this one...

View attachment 13719

The real funny thing was that, even at 8pm on a Saturday evening, it was still 26 Celsius and no-one, upon no-one had a scarf. Only a fool would have one in that heat (yes, I did). So, when are we getting this delight at Dean Court?

The orchestrated shows of support were totally alien to me. I would not want to attend this kind of event every other week. Even the Spanish-speaking supporters group seemed as much for the entertainment of the crowd as to increase the atmosphere and boost the team.

The above might be enjoyable for some but, in my opinion, it ruined the attempt at football.

I have to say, to balance things up a little, that I have also watched the women's team play. The standard on the pitch was superior to the men's game and the crowd reacted spontaneously to events on the pitch. People actually came to watch the match!
Thanks for that. Sounds even worse than I had imagined !
Whatever we do, the owners must understand that in the UK people go to the football to watch the football. We don't want DC turning into some sort of food mall / Disneyland hybrid.

Having said that, if I'd been at DC at the weekend, I would have been waving my flag like a mad man, just because it would have been such a pleasure to have finally made it to a game. Equally I will admit that I probably would have left it on the seat by the second game because under normal circumstances I take delight in not doing what I am supposed to do :Fingers:

:utc:

Reactions: DJ

View attachment 13712

View attachment 13714

View attachment 13715

View attachment 13716

View attachment 13717

View attachment 13718

View attachment 13719

Re leaving early...Probably off to some weird religious/cult like ceremony?

;