Well run businesses

Coughlin

Reserves
Generally well run business do well. Obviously exceptions but lets assume just as relevant to football. So Brighton & Brentford are exemplars , Watford & Southampton polar opposites. But where are we? Under Max & Jeff we knew what we were and were a popular club, partly due to Eddie. Now I just don't know what we are. We have loads of money but have staffed so much on bad signings. We have a new coach but he has inherited the panic bench put together after Parker was sacked - he has an uphill battle. And day to day we seem to be guided by Blake & Hughes but honestly what have they really got on their CV's to justify the roles they have?

Get it right off the pitch and maybe other things will begin to work.

I've heard we've got some stat bods involved and if we pair that up with a stable of clubs over the world we'll have a decent global scouting network and the ability to get players playing at a level that suits their ability. Long term the future could be pretty bright but short term you're right in that we're relying on a modest old school approach to get the right players in.

Brighton and particularly Brentford are well ahead of the game but hopefully.

I would be cautious though as not long ago Watford and Summers were the model to follow according to the media.

I've heard we've got some stat bods involved and if we pair that up with a stable of clubs over the world we'll have a decent global scouting network and the ability to get players playing at a level that suits their ability. Long term the future could be pretty bright but short term you're right in that we're relying on a modest old school approach to get the right players in.

I would be cautious though as not long ago Watford and Summers were the model to follow according to the media.

brighton and brentford have established owners
watford and scummers basket cases for years, constantly ridiculed in the media

Plus, what back-up technical support does our new manager have, apart from a couple of popular academy coaches in the dugout?

brighton and brentford have established owners
watford and scummers basket cases for years, constantly ridiculed in the media
Scummers changed hands since being championed but Watford were praised for their multiclub model and for a system that meant they could frequently cycle through managers without it hurting the team.

Both teams were considered at least in the trash media as contenders for joining the top 6 along with Leicester (also now out of favour).

It was only February 2022 that the Southampton CEO was on 5 live bragging about their '5 point plan' with all the pundits fawning over him. A year later and that seemed like it had been a 'plan to get 5 points'. He was sacked after Scummers were relegated due to poor transfers and a horror show of a managerial appointment in getting Jones.

There's a lot of outcome bias in football across the media. A few good results and suddenly everything at a club is well run, joined up, strategic, sustainable blah blah. Then the house of cards falls down with a few bad results or selling 1 or 2 too many players. If we go on a good run now, survive comfortably and play some nice football, we will be a well run and ambitious club with a young, hungry manager and squad. If we lose a few more, it'll all be that the owners don't understand the PL, we spent too much on foreigners and we are a shambles.

I think the reality is, as stated multiple times elsewhere, while the club has invested heavily on the playing side and is doing so in our training facilities and our commercial side, we lack the depth in coaching and recruitment/scouting compared to other PL clubs. The key is whether we can address that while still getting the PL flowing in.

It's clearly more of a shuffle money around a bit model rather than a business built entirely for football purposes.

Foley has purchased a club in NZ, where they produce 1 footballer every 40 years who makes it into the top league.

It's probably got a lot more to do with moving money about, rather than players

It's clearly more of a shuffle money around a bit model rather than a business built entirely for football purposes.

Foley has purchased a club in NZ, where they produce 1 footballer every 40 years who makes it into the top league.

It's probably got a lot more to do with moving money about, rather than players
Quite possibly but the most common foreign nationality in Scottish football is Australian so there's obviously some movement going on. Second most is Japanese which seems logical they might go via the aleague but you'd be better placed (literally) to know.

When you thinks about it .. where we are in this weird extension of the Championship that stretches up to about 8th position in the PL...it's only getting lucky with the right gel of 2nd rate players that will propel your club up near 8th...and requiring a genial manager of the likes of Thomas whatismame at Brentford to get the necessary commitment from those players to achieve it !

Who knows....if Iraola can scrape a few more wins before Xmas ...then this time next season we are rivalling Brentford ...and hopefully a similar Stadium plan .....into brick mode !

;