West Ham away ,best way to get there,where to drink?

bigfatolly

Star Player
Just had a quick look,for those travelling from Bournemouth/Poole etc,it's looking like train to Waterloo,then Jubilee line eastbound on the underground to Stratford.
Alternatively Northern Line to Tottenham Court Rd,then Central Line to Stratford,which allows you to stop at Liverpool Street where there are a few watering holes.
Not many pubs around the ground by all accounts so where are people heading for?
I quite like the Wetherspoons at Liverpool Street Station so might head there.
What is everyone else planning ?

I posted about this a while ago - if you search you'll get more detail but I'll summarise:

Look up Hackney Wick station, it's one stop from Stratford on the overground. Then look up Crate brewery. Good beers and bits and pieces. There is also the German Deli and the tank bar that will serve good grub and beers.

As it's the first game, I have no idea if there will be any restrictions I'm afraid. There's a "pub" in the Westfield shopping centre which plays dance music and is appalling.

A 5 minute walk down the canal alongside the stadium will bring you to a lock where there's a bar at Swan Wharf called The Plough. A bit out of the way but should be quieter than Crate and there's a cut through to the stadium next to the old Big Breakfast house. A real sightseeing tour.

Also check out the Counter Cafe in the Stour Space gallery on Bream St/Roach Road but expect a wait if you get there much after 11. I think they also serve booze, now...

Hope that helps!

Hackney Wick is actually closer to the stadium than Stratford so don't get the overground one stop from there!

Also, if you drink around Liverpool St you should get the train from Liv St direct to Stratford, quicker and much quieter/pleasant than cramming onto a Central Line train.

Expect at least an hour plus from the grond to getting a train back at Stratford. Smart money may be on walk to mile end station instead.
will be drinking at Blackfriars beforehand.
Trains up and back will be rammed full @£16 return.

N19 - 15/8/2016 13:08

Also, if you drink around Liverpool St you should get the train from Liv St direct to Stratford, quicker and much quieter/pleasant than cramming onto a Central Line train.

Yes I did think that,the Abiello trains that go to Norwich from there stop at Stratford I think.

Not much time in it between the central line and the overland trains to Stratford, however if it's warm definitely take the train. Any train on the Shenfield line, or to Norwich, Ipswich , Colchester etc most of them will stop at Stratford. If you don't want to go to the wetherspoons there is the Red Lion on Eldon Street, the other side of the station.

I shall certainly not be buying anything at, in, near, or surrounding the ground.
Shocking sell off at a peppercorn rent.

There are several places to drink near the stadium. There is a sports bar called Cafe Football plus another couple of pubs nearby, such as Bat & Ball. Walk past Westfield through the outside retail area and you will see them. There is also a canal boat bar literally 2 minutes from the stadium. Although that's not really set up for a large crowd! Plenty of bars in the stadium complex with more space than you'd be used to, so you can drink at the stadium.

Unfortunately I've had it on good authority from a local that the pubs near Hackney Wick are going to be home fans only.

While there are a few decent drinking establishments at Westfield, they aren't ideal for large football crowds. The Tap East next to Stratford International would be the best bet for those who like craft lager or decent ale.

I'd actually recommend the Leyton Technical about 300 metres from Leyton tube station. Again a good selection of beers, a large pub and hopefully a bit more off the beaten track from the West Ham riff raff

;