West Ham friendly

it's not the manager per se, it's that we didn't conduct an exhaustive interview and selection process like what you do when you need a new tyre fitter or bakery assistant....:rolleyes:
It’s a multi million pound business with a chance of becoming a PL club again. I think it warranted something better, even better then a tyre fitter process:

It's a multi million pound business with income multi million pounds less than expenditure. Given that a new manager probably involves paying off a significant number of backroom staff and reemploying loads more, with no guarantee of success I'm not surprised they went for the cheap option. You've obviously decided what the reasons for our inevitable failure are already.

It’s a multi million pound business with a chance of becoming a PL club again. I think it warranted something better, even better then a tyre fitter process:

I know nothing if what goes on at the club behind the scenes so good to know what was the actual process followed?

I am sure we had a short list prepared if Eddie ever left and it’s quick nowadays to quickly ascertain who is interested or not. Heavily leaked that we were interested in Scott Parker but promotion quickly ended that option. Why leak it if we always wanted JT? Maybe Graham Jones as an option for coaching staff followed consideration of him as a candidate for main job? I don’t know either way,

I know nothing if what goes on at the club behind the scenes so good to know what was the actual process followed?

I am sure we had a short list prepared if Eddie ever left and it’s quick nowadays to quickly ascertain who is interested or not. Heavily leaked that we were interested in Scott Parker but promotion quickly ended that option. Why leak it if we always wanted JT? Maybe Graham Jones as an option for coaching staff followed consideration of him as a candidate for main job? I don’t know either way,
I don’t either

But Neil knows exactly how we did it, apparently

Inside sources, doncha know......

I think we have a good first team, but Neil's assertion we have the best squad is very debatable. A few injuries and we will be down to playing youngsters with very little game time at any level.
After all the departures, we badly need a few experienced players in, people like Grabban, Yann, Pugh etc who aren't quite good enough for Premier League but might get us there ( not suggesting we sign them, just that sort of quality)

Watching some of that Bet fred thing above, it stated that only Newcastle and Burnley have gone straight back up, automatically, in the last 5 years.
Hull and Fulham, only ones via the play offs.
I knew it was tough, but further context.

Add to that Sunderland, Bolton, Coventry, Portsmouth, Swindon, Bradford, Blackpool who have all dropped more than one division following time in the PL. We have to hope the players don't think like some of our support and believe we just need to turn up to piss this league.

I cant see how anyone will say we should get automatic promotion, this is the most competitive league there us no big 4/6 to try and break into, stoke would have had a good team of players villa the same Leeds had a very good squad for years and it didn't work for them, personally i would say in and around playoffs would be a good season as potentially we would of lost 9 from last years first team squad with no replacements as yet.
when we won the league we had a lot less pressure on us as a team but now we're a relagated PL team so some teams will see us as a "cup final" match

Our owner vaguely mentioned 'getting back where we belong'

As soon as possible.

I don't think he meant Aldershot away.

I agree with Neil about the strength of our squad....we're not comparable with the likes of Stoke or a Sunderland who had squads made up with proven PL players wo were well past their best.....that's the route they went down during their time in the PL.....thankfully we didn't ....we bought potential.....potential which will thrive in the Championship......we will absolutely piss this league even with the squad we have now.....even without any signings this is a far more exciting team than the one which got us into the PL.

On paper we should, in the same way Groves should have had the League 1 team at top of the league, but somehow had us near relegation 3 months in...

Hopefully Tindall can deliver, but a good team on paper doesn't guarantee success, particularly if the manager isn;t up to it.

It’s quite a claim I know, but I struggle to think of a club/squad as talented as ours to get relegated from the Prem. I think it’s sort of backed up by the interest in our players and the money clubs are willing to pay for them.

We need some added depth given the departures, but should we add some half decent quality in the right areas then we really should be aiming for the top 2. This years championship is weak.
West ham went down with cole carrick kanoute di canio Sinclair etc.most talented by far to be relegated

I will make a bold prediction ....Assuming that the 2020/21 Premier League runs its full course, three teams will be relegated despite all the efforts of their managers or their expensive transfers.

I’m not sure as I don’t know who is out there! I doubt many Saints fans had heard of Pochettino or Hassenhutl... I just expected a bit of a thorough root around and some people putting cases forwards as to players they would bring and styles they would play. Not a coronation.
Havent you done your research? ;-)

My God.... fancy a squad with that talent getting relegated !..
....well they did..... you play on grass...not paper !
I mean Christ...what do you measure it with in the first place?.. Don't say transfer prices...it just doesn't cut it !

Are some of our fans getting like Manu fans...?
..with regard to some kind of 'entitlement' .

The squad has some exciting talent no doubt. It was a squad in transition with young players with talent being added to the squad and moulded towards a long term aim.

But it had its weaknesses once injuries kicked in and confidence fell. There was also a lack of leadership on the pitch and that was with some big senior players who have now gone or are likely to be gone soon.

You’re looking at a side that has a 21 year old goalkeeper with only 3 appearances to his name.

A centre of defence which is only a couple of injuries away from relying on Jack Simpson...

An attacking threat of Junior Stanislas, Danjuma and Brooks, who have struggled with a medical book of injuries.

A senior striking talent of Dominic Solanke.

If it all clicks, we’re confident and we have a better injury record then I’m excited to see this side develop.

But anyone who thinks that this side should breeze to automatic promotion in a truncated 46 game season doesn’t know the Championship very well.

;