We’ve got Nathan Ake all wrong

GARYafCb

Fans' Favourite
Watched the interview with Arnaut Danjuma on AFCB tv
Interested to see that when he talked about his fellow Netherlander Nathan
he pronounces his surname name like Baker, without the ‘B’

Would make his song sound a bit different.

Or Ma Baker. I'll sing the bass line.

‘He was the meanest cat from near old Pokesdown’
‘He was the meanest cat he brought the strikers down’
‘And when the foxes came’
‘He didn’t play their game’
n n n Nathan Ake
He heads it away
N n n Nathan ake
His hair will sway
n N N Nathan ake
He’s here to stay....

Bit bored tonight. Sorry. Now trying to see what Sister Sledge songs work for Steve Cook.

Last edited:
It's probably pronouned "dean juuuu may" or something, hence his confusion

I'm sure I recall Ake saying something very early about how to pronounce his name, but haven't time to try and find it now

His Dad is from the Ivory Coast so it's not a Dutch surname. I'd therefore be inclined trust someone that knows him personally over how other Dutch people would pronounce it.

Although as CB says, I'd trust what Nathan suggests even more...

They speak French in the Ivory Coast and Nathan has an accent above the e in his surname : Nathan Aké

Since it's an e accute, it's -ey, like in hey. So in the likely native language it's Ahk-ey

I have and Irish forename and surname and even though all you lot speak (roughly!) the same language as me I get all sorts of pronunciations and spellings.

They speak French in the Ivory Coast and Nathan has an accent above the e in his surname : Nathan Aké

Since it's an e accute, it's -ey, like in hey. So in the likely native language it's Ahk-ey

I have and Irish forename and surname and even though all you lot speak (roughly!) the same language as me I get all sorts of pronunciations and spellings.

Are you not called Norman Iron then. No wonder I couldn’t find you on Facebook...

An old and well worn trope but still raises a chuckle, mostly at myself as some names still stump me even after this many years

Remember as a teenager working for a company with an Irish arm, and being totally bamboozled the first time I got a note to call 'Siobhan'

Also, I may be wrong (and entering geek levels) but I think in the first season we signed Afobe, the club didn't have accents on the shirt names. That was a new introduction the following season with Aké

And no, @Neil Dawson, don't be daft. It's Norman O'Iron. Honestly.......

;