What he has achieved and what he can achieve.

clintclease

First Team
What Eddie has done at Bournemouth is almost unique - although I suppose Graham Taylor did something similar with Watford. His modus operandi is to think long term and gradually work towards 'goals', honing and polishing as he goes along. I think that it is pretty clear that if he couldn't see ways of improving and moving forward, then the work would lose a lot of its meaning for him. I expect in the back of his mind he has a plan for the Cherries to win the Premier League - is that possible? Well I think it is, Leicester did it just two years ago with similar resources. Would he enjoy managing one of the so called 'big six'? Personally I think that as long as he can see Bournemouth moving forward he would get more satisfaction and be happier at Dean Court. The directors have recently made a statement pointing out the importance of spending resources on the playing staff. I agree that this is a priority, however without Eddie Howe it is hard to see any other human being being able to maintain the standards that he has instilled in the team and the club as a whole. So retaining Eddie has to be the first priority - if he stays for the next few years I can see the team achieving ever more remarkable feats - but the directors will have to be brave, imaginative and resourceful to keep pace with him - are they up to the task? I hope so!

Agree this. Wherever I travel knowledgable fans say ours is a team where the collective is greater than the individual parts. And that is down to Eddie and his team. Just think of each player as they were when they joined us and where they are now. Smith, Francis, both Cooke’s, Daniels, Stan, Fraser, Callum & Josh....the list goes on. Then ask how many players has Jose improved? Enough said....

I also think he realises this which is why I never worry about him leaving.

It often takes one player a year to learn the Eddie way and that’s when surrounded by others that already get it.

Taking a squad that don’t get it on the same journey is not as easy. He found this out at Burnley. He currently manages a top six PL side. Where will he go to equal this and if he loses that job will he ever get a chance in a team this high again. Two or three more players the quality of Lerma and Brooks next summer and it could be very interesting.

I think you can forget top six clubs poaching him. If we hit a ceiling here he’ll go to Italy or Spain, he’s a student of the game, he spends most summers on a busmans holiday working with other clubs. I think he’d want to test himself in a completely different environment

Last edited:
Eddie is an unusual talent but there’s a whole team there built by him, including Jason (let’s not leave him out). I do worry about losing our manager, and given Eddie’s strong personal loyalties, losing the whole group.

Given what we’re seeing from the squad at present the sky’s the limit. But if there was evidence of a real crisis in the ownership/finances of the club why should Eddie stay? He can’t be expected to run the whole show.

Then the problem could be an exit of the management and back-up team plus our key players. We’ve seen it before - and not just at DC. Eddie is a superb motivator, team builder and increasingly an excellent tactician. But Superman he is not.

Eddie is an unusual talent but there’s a whole team there built by him, including Jason (let’s not leave him out). I do worry about losing our manager, and given Eddie’s strong personal loyalties, losing the whole group.

Given what we’re seeing from the squad at present the sky’s the limit. But if there was evidence of a real crisis in the ownership/finances of the club why should Eddie stay? He can’t be expected to run the whole show.

Then the problem could be an exit of the management and back-up team plus our key players. We’ve seen it before - and not just at DC. Eddie is a superb motivator, team builder and increasingly an excellent tactician. But Superman he is not.[/QUOTETogether anything is possible,apparently not

What makes Eddie’s achievement greater than some of the other managers who have taken teams through the leagues is the style of play and long term strategy.

I’m mainly thinking of Watford and Wimbledon here in the 80’s. They obviously had a lot of success and while any style which get results is a good style, there was no longevity. Some teams can still get success with hoofball now but let’s see where Cardiff end up this season.

In theory, Eddie’s modern style ought to be attractive to a top 5 club, but with media and fans always wanting big names rather good managers, we are likely safe for another couple of years. Well apart from the Villa and Scummer jobs because someone on the internet said so it must be true....*panic, panic, panic*

The difference is, a big team would give Eddie Howe the ability to buy the current Fraser / Lerma / Ake, etc. and have them at their prime, which he almost certainly won't if they carry on as they are.

It's an entirely different job being at the top where you don't really need to worry about bringing players through.

There is zero track history of the big six going for anyone that doesn’t have a detailed knowledge of European football. Eddie was supposedly a shoe in for the Arsenal job...

That means he is in the second tier lottery of Everton, West Ham etc. Four poor months at one of those and you are gone. The fans craving a bigger name than you not helping that process. Lose that job and he will be forever known as the man who could only manage Bournemouth. If his successor doesn’t work out no doubt we would welcome him back but momentum would have gone.

Of course he could make a success of an Everton or West Ham but the expectation is top eight...not the aspiration, the expectation.

I don’t personally worry he will go anywhere short term.

;