What I'd Like to See

Redpost

First Team
Like many I was disappointed at the result against Southampton, I was also left pretty frustrated by some of the gamesmanship going on, it slows the game right down and it goes on week in week out.

Some of my ideas are not not original and obviously picked up from rugby. I also appreciate some of the suggestions are not perfect, I’d like to stimulate some debate.

I struggled with the injury situation particularly, but a badly injured player would be treated on the pitch before being removed on a stretcher and in any event, wouldn’t be back on the pitch in five minutes. Whereas a fake injury will know he is going to be taken off if the trainers come on the pitch and he’ll have to wait to come back on.

List
Lines people running both halves of the pitch and, for throw-ins, they stand where the ball leaves the pitch and the throw-in is taken from that point.

There is a stadium clock we can all see.

When the referee blows for an injury, the clock is stopped.

When the referee blows for a foul the clock is stopped and it is not started until the kick is taken.

Only the team captain may dispute a free kick, booking or penalty.

If players dispute a free kick, that free kick is moved forward 10 paces.

If players dispute a penalty those players are booked and sin binned.

The clock is stopped for players being subbed.

Other than a head injury, an injured player is immediately put on a stretcher and treated at the side of the pitch. Players will not be allowed back onto the pitch for 5 minutes from the time the stretcher reaches the pitch side.

A yellow card is sin binned for 10 minutes

Like many I was disappointed at the result against Southampton, I was also left pretty frustrated by some of the gamesmanship going on, it slows the game right down and it goes on week in week out.

Some of my ideas are not not original and obviously picked up from rugby. I also appreciate some of the suggestions are not perfect, I’d like to stimulate some debate.

I struggled with the injury situation particularly, but a badly injured player would be treated on the pitch before being removed on a stretcher and in any event, wouldn’t be back on the pitch in five minutes. Whereas a fake injury will know he is going to be taken off if the trainers come on the pitch and he’ll have to wait to come back on.

List
Lines people running both halves of the pitch and, for throw-ins, they stand where the ball leaves the pitch and the throw-in is taken from that point.

There is a stadium clock we can all see.

When the referee blows for an injury, the clock is stopped.

When the referee blows for a foul the clock is stopped and it is not started until the kick is taken.

Only the team captain may dispute a free kick, booking or penalty.

If players dispute a free kick, that free kick is moved forward 10 paces.

If players dispute a penalty those players are booked and sin binned.

The clock is stopped for players being subbed.

Other than a head injury, an injured player is immediately put on a stretcher and treated at the side of the pitch. Players will not be allowed back onto the pitch for 5 minutes from the time the stretcher reaches the pitch side.

A yellow card is sin binned for 10 minutes
Lots of good ideas in there. I suspect that the purists will not be in favour, but I don't have that historical perspective.

The problem with time saving is that games, at present, last about 1 hour. If you make players play for the full 90 mins they are effectively playing an extra 19 games a season. This will cause more injuries and player burnout. It also helps big clubs with better subs and more resources for rotation. This will, indirectly, ban small clubs, like ours, from competing at the highest level and prevent all but the richest clubs from ever winning the title or qualifying for Europe. Field is already not level, this proposal makes it near vertical, imho. Throw-in rule is a good idea.

I like this, but maybe only if the player wasn't fouled. If the player was fouled than they should be allowed back on straight away. I know it doesn't solve it entirely doing it this way, but you shouldn't be punished for having a bad, frustrated tackle towards the end of a game.

'If players dispute a penalty those players are booked and sin binned.'

With the amount of god awful penalty decisions going against us atm. We would have half the team sin binned every game.o_O:help:

I like this, but maybe only if the player wasn't fouled. If the player was fouled than they should be allowed back on straight away. I know it doesn't solve it entirely doing it this way, but you shouldn't be punished for having a bad, frustrated tackle towards the end of a game.
Which reminds me of one of the most annoying things I’ve ever seen. A few years ago at Barnet (iirc) our player had an accidental collision with their keeper as the ball went for a corner. Both players were treated, but the keeper was able to play on and defend the corner whilst our player had to stay off until the ref called him back on after the corner was done

Why does the reason for injury matter ? Also, doesn't stop players feigning injury.

I have always thought a player who is injured through a foul from the opposition player, should be treated on the pitch and then remain on the pitch.

Otherwise the team who committed the foul are at an advantage be it a short time, while the player injured from the foul is on the touchline.

Think this was mooted once but never happened.

I would the player who is ‘injured’ not be allowed back onto the pitch for a minimum of fives minutes…and I am talking about the players that just drop to the ground whilst play is going on!

The problem with time saving is that games, at present, last about 1 hour. If you make players play for the full 90 mins they are effectively playing an extra 19 games a season. This will cause more injuries and player burnout. It also helps big clubs with better subs and more resources for rotation. This will, indirectly, ban small clubs, like ours, from competing at the highest level and prevent all but the richest clubs from ever winning the title or qualifying for Europe. Field is already not level, this proposal makes it near vertical, imho. Throw-in rule is a good idea.
if you make each half 30 mins but the clock is stopped for every time that there is no play, ie injuries , ball out of play, timewasting, then the players may be on the pich for 90 mins but only actually playing 60 mins so there should be no burnout.

This stopped clock idea that keeps getting mooted is horrible. It'll totally play into the hands of the Pulis / Allardyce types managers who want to turn every throw in or free kick from into a set piece. Horrible, and would completely take all momentum out of the game. Even more so than the current feigning of injury etc.

Plus, I'd imagine that in time, it would also be used as a way to insert tv ads into the running time of a half. After all, the clock is stopped. We'll end up with refs waiting to restart the game for the in-stadium spectators whilst they wait for the tv audience to return. Look at the wait money influences football and tell me with a straight face it won't happen.

The 10 paces forward on free kicks was tried before and failed as teams started using it deliberately as a way to move a free kick into a place where the angle was worse for the takers. I wouldn't be against a rule like this, but where the ref can award the team with the free kick the option to move the ball anywhere within a ten yard radius. That way they can find the best possible angle to suit their particular free kick taker, whether moving back, forwards or sideways. Of course, that brings in more delays which goes counter to the above.

So an opposition player scythes down an AFCB player and he needs treatment to, say, his leg. AFCB get a free kick but the AFCB player has to leave the pitch for five minutes, meaning because our player got badly hacked we play with ten men for five minutes?

if you make each half 30 mins but the clock is stopped for every time that there is no play, ie injuries , ball out of play, timewasting, then the players may be on the pich for 90 mins but only actually playing 60 mins so there should be no burnout.

They are on the pitch for 60 mins now, so what's changed?

A team can only make a substitution if it is their ball, ie throw in, free kick, corner, goal kick or penalty.

I'd quite like to see the captain's challenges that they have in NRL, and are currently using in the rugby league world cup. Each side is given 1 challenge per game, and can dispute a decision within 10 seconds of it being made.

The 10 paces forward on free kicks was tried before and failed as teams started using it deliberately as a way to move a free kick into a place where the angle was worse for the takers. I wouldn't be against a rule like this, but where the ref can award the team with the free kick the option to move the ball anywhere within a ten yard radius. That way they can find the best possible angle to suit their particular free kick taker, whether moving back, forwards or sideways. Of course, that brings in more delays which goes counter to the above.

Worked for us once (I want to say away at Exeter?). Ref moved the ball forward about 15 yards, into a decent position, and we scored from it.

This stopped clock idea that keeps getting mooted is horrible. It'll totally play into the hands of the Pulis / Allardyce types managers who want to turn every throw in or free kick from into a set piece. Horrible, and would completely take all momentum out of the game. Even more so than the current feigning of injury etc.

Plus, I'd imagine that in time, it would also be used as a way to insert tv ads into the running time of a half. After all, the clock is stopped. We'll end up with refs waiting to restart the game for the in-stadium spectators whilst they wait for the tv audience to return. Look at the wait money influences football and tell me with a straight face it won't happen.

Disagree. Last season at times the time wasting we had to endure was ridiculous, every game in which we were behind opposition players would start dropping like flies in the second half and a great deal more time was wasted than was added back on at the end. Anything that would move towards stopping these kind of antics would be a positive step imo.

;