When the ball hit Atkinson yesterday....

Danny11

First Team
I have seen a few posts with anger directed at Atkinson for the incident yesterday in the 2nd half where the ball hit him and he pulled it back rather than giving us advantage.

I believe it is a new rule this season that whenever the ball hits the ref, play is stopped and the ball is awarded to the team who had possession at the time. So whilst I think Atkinson had an abysmal game yesterday, I believe he followed the new directive in this instance.

He followed the directive as soon as it looked like we would gain an advantage from it. He would have been docked points by his bosses for not giving it and I think the higher profile incidents affect their selection (and pay).

Another new directive this season, which I've only ever seen applied once (which was to us when attempting to waste a little time while leading) is substitutes going off at the nearest touchline. Doesn't seem to apply to any of our opposition that one.

Daft application, basically home sides cannot time waste with substitutions but away sides can.

Just like the new handball rule which is different depending on if you’re an attacker or defender.

Wish the law makers would just leave the game alone.

for years the rulemakers were careful not to tinker with the rules, and keep the laws consistent at all levels. I watched a parks game the other day, 3 players were sin binned. all gone a bit bonkers, and not in a good way.

He followed the directive as soon as it looked like we would gain an advantage from it. He would have been docked points by his bosses for not giving it and I think the higher profile incidents affect their selection (and pay).

He didn't seem interested in following the directive where a player leaves the pitch at the closest point when substituted.

for years the rulemakers were careful not to tinker with the rules, and keep the laws consistent at all levels. I watched a parks game the other day, 3 players were sin binned. all gone a bit bonkers, and not in a good way.
My son was sin binned the other week but he did question the linesman’s eyesight, age and parentage is the same sentence. Not a proud family moment and two nights without WiFi being turned on...

Even if Atkinson had let us play on, Stacey was offside anyway. Not that the useless **************** deserves me defending him

Must admit I lost it abit when he pulled back play for that incident but as it was our attack can't they just play advantage. I guess he got that right but the rest of his performance was very poor.

Must admit I lost it abit when he pulled back play for that incident but as it was our attack can't they just play advantage. I guess he got that right but the rest of his performance was very poor.
There is no advantage rule to be applied. Advantage only applies if the opposition commits a foul which they didn’t. Since the ball striking the ref gave US an unfair advantage, this is why the rule was changed this season. Once everyone has calmed down, they’ll see the rule makes sense and it was one of the few decisions he called correctly.

If they are going to bring in new rules make sure all officials understand them and the clubs.

It’s being inconsistent that annoys the fans, like I think it was McNeil right over on the left wing instead of just leaving the pitch where he was he walked right across the width of it to the dugouts side.

Atkinson should have booked him there and then for that, believe he was already on a yellow as well, so it would have been red.

If Dyche found he had lost a player because of that he may well make them cut it out next time.

Do they still have referees assessors at games ? If so , perhaps the marking should be made public, may sharpen some of them up a bit.

Also going back to McNeil, if he had picked up a red as he was walking off, the sub couldn’t have come on and they would have been down to 10 men.

Do they still have referees assessors at games ? If so , perhaps the marking should be made public, may sharpen some of them up a bit.
The pgmol will be in meltdown, the performance of their officials is not any concern of fans, managers or players.

pre-var reg whingers have a whole load of new stuff to whinge about now. great!

The whole performance from Atkinson yesterday was the worst I have seen since we have been in the prem it was shocking but then again so were we.

It was right up there with East,Knight , Shapter and all the shite we used to get

Another new directive this season, which I've only ever seen applied once (which was to us when attempting to waste a little time while leading) is substitutes going off at the nearest touchline. Doesn't seem to apply to any of our opposition that one.

A guy in Ireland was yellow carded for that and as it was a second booking earnt him a red.

;