Where We Stand On Boxing Day

davidwhitehead

Fans' Favourite
We play Fulham at home on Boxing Day, which will take us up to 19 games, the halfway point of the season.

Including the Fulham match, we have two games that are obvious "must-wins" (Sheff Utd away, Luton at home), and three games where we could reasonably hope to get a point from each (Palace away, Forest away, Fulham at home).

Then we have three games which will be difficult, but where we could perhaps hope to gain one point from nine (Newcastle home, Villa home, Man Utd away).

So, if we managed to get 10 points from the next 8 games, would 16 points be enough to save Andoni ?

After the Spurs game on NYE, we have a 3 week break, so that would be the obvious time to make changes, if deemed necessary.

Currently he looks finished and we've hardly got to know him or what he is about

I hope he's still with us in the new year but I can't see him making December

I don’t see the point in making a bold move to reinvent the side as an attacking progressive team, full of young exciting potential, if you don’t have the courage to stick with your convictions.
Quite right. I don’t think he looks finished at all, and as per previous posts I’m really hoping the club stick with him come what may this season. Thought yesterday’s performance was decent against-let’s face it- a superb footballing side- and I was happy to hear the majority of supporters I spoke to on the coaches and at Warwick after the game agree.

......because GON was offered the same players that Andoni got, it's seems that whoever comes in has to use what given to him/her.
So it seems we need a manager who fits our recruitment model ( ?? ) and has to do it within 15 games in a league with some of the riches clubs in the world and best players.
As we have seen at the weekend luck/VAR/injuries/fixture list are the most important elements in this league..................

I don’t see the point in making a bold move to reinvent the side as an attacking progressive team, full of young exciting potential, if you don’t have the courage to stick with your convictions.
Or the courage to stand up and say when it's not working and act on it.

There’s factors other than points total…

Is Bill trigger happy? ( he was at Vegas early doors)
Are the fans onside? (as it stands yes)
Do we have a replacement? (as I understand it is Hassenhutl on a watching brief but he may go elsewhere)
Has he got the dressing room? (I was wondering about this a couple weeks ago, since then I’d say he has)

If you asked me to put money on it id say he won’t be here in January.

Personally id like him to stay even if we go down and rebuild us. Unfortunately I think there’s too much ego and testosterone at stake here and don’t think we will see him in the dug out for many more weeks.

so if he gets sacked it'll be everyone else's fault but his

marvellous
Well clearly he has made mistakes. He’d be an unusual manager if not.

But if you appoint a manager following one hopes a thorough interview process, sack a guy who kept you up on a zoom call at 6am to accommodate him, don’t replace the player of the year’s position, give him an imbalanced squad, don’t work out in advance his team of coaches don’t have the qualifications to join him and then sack him less than 15 games in to him learning a new league you’ve only got yourself to look at…. Surely?

I see where thisis going but who is "available" and would they be short term or long term. Ralph from up the road doesn't impress but say the Ipswich manager on paper would attacking football etc but unproven in the Premier League. Would he come from a team with the chance of promotion to one with the chance of relegation?

Better the devil you know etc.

But if you appoint a manager following one hopes a thorough interview process, sack a guy who kept you up on a zoom call at 6am to accommodate him, don’t replace the player of the year’s position, give him an imbalanced squad, don’t work out in advance his team of coaches don’t have the qualifications to join him and then sack him less than 15 games in to him learning a new league you’ve only got yourself to look at…. Surely?
Called "unlucky" perhaps.

Having decided to make the change, I hope the owners have the courage to stick with it a while longer. They decided on Andoni and the guy was pretty impressive in Spain - he doesn't become a bad manager overnight. Chopping and changing managers rarely works in the long run, and continuity is usually key for all successful teams.

Not many of our results have gone against the form book. I've seen enough so far to believe that we'll stay up, and that would be a platform to build from. Under Andoni, I feel like we at least have a go at attacking the other team, even if it is largely with a blunt instrument!

And he's had to contend with a Lerma-shaped hole in the middle of the pitch. Lerma may not have been the most talented of footballers but he was very effective and clearly hasn't been replaced (with any one fit at least). It's a big miss.

Under GON, watching us was painful. Sitting in a low block pretty much the entire game (at home too), riding our luck defensively and hoping to catch a team on the break was not exactly entertaining. The only idea of possession last season appeared to be passing in a horseshoe shape from one winger to the full back, across the CBs to the other full back, and then to the winger on the other side, before going back again the other way ad infinitum.

Be careful what you wish for.

100%
it's epl management, fcuking brutal, results or you're out etc etc
all the rest is excuses

I hope he stays .. we have had a lot of changes.. we never expected anything other than a loss yesterday, we have never got a point against city have we, well not in the prem..
Newcastle next week will be tough , but don't expect the same scoreline as yesterday.. Will be much tighter .
We are going to miss Scott , it just seems to sum up our season so far ..
Point wise, we need to get 10 between now and boxing day .. we will be OK. Fortunately there is 3 worse teams than us.. I think under 30 points will keep you up this year !. Stick with Andoni , let's hope he gets his number 2 ASAP.. wish there was a update on this? Why hasn't the press mentioned this?.

With the way the current league stats are heading, I’d be very surprised if the manager gets to be part of the Snootsworth Advent Calendar 2023.

P 11
W 1
D 3
L 7

Being realistic, this just isn’t good enough.

For me one of the biggest issues is he doesn't have 'his team' with him. If his current assistant can't come, surely there is someone equally experienced who can assist. I hope he stays.

;