Votes: 9 19.6%
  • West Ham officials

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • To close to call

Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably not a popular option, but:

- according to rules (new this year) if the West Ham player did not deliberately handle the ball, then Zoumas goal should stand . Shlt rules, but not officials fault.

- JZ handled the ball. And his hands were above his head. Annoying that ball was going nowhere, but a penalty, according to the rules. So not officials fault.

- our penalty claim was rightly not given.

in regretful conclusion, Liz Truss. Clear and obvious.

- according to rules (new this year) if the West Ham player did not deliberately handle the ball, then Zoumas goal should stand . Shlt rules, but not officials fault.

- JZ handled the ball. And his hands were above his head. Annoying that ball was going nowhere, but a penalty, according to the rules. So not officials fault.

Youre either in a wind-up or you’re just talking plain crap.

For their goal he deliberately handles the ball. Why would both his hands move forwards if that’s not the case?

JZ’s hands were in a natural position for a player who is sliding full stretch to bacon a cross. Where the phuck is he supposed to put his arms?

Why is Johnson’s not a handball if all of ours recently have been? Oh, and don’t even start me off about the Steve Cook one

You can't give him the benefit of the doubt. He handled it and they got a huge advantage from it so that's enough to decide that it was deliberate.

At one point it was Law 11- Offside which caused all the trouble, now it is Law 12. Well I watched the game today, and then I put on my referee's hat. This won't please many Cherries supporters but the referee and VAR got it right today guys.
As the laws are written and Richnrg above is correct, the first goal was good because the goal was not scored DIRECTLY from the West Ham handball. (Yes it would have been HANDBALL if the goal was scored directly from the offense).

When Zemura slid it might seem that his hands were in a natural position, but they also made his body larger, and he took a risk. The referee was correct to award the penalty - it was handball!

Referee and VAR consistency is an issue for the league, but it has always been so, even when I refereed and I was a very good referee. I might call something this week against a team, and next week the referee may let it go. That is the nature of the job, just as players are also inconsistent with their own performances, VAR is no different although it should reduce subjectivity, it really doesn't, it was designed to identify Clear and Obvious mistakes of the on-field officials, and generally it does, but it is not perfect, and on that point I think we all agree,.

A disappointing result tonight for sure, but don't blame the referee. The players were unable to score goals and that is the only way to win games. Let's move on.

At one point it was Law 11- Offside which caused all the trouble, now it is Law 12. Well I watched the game today, and then I put on my referee's hat. This won't please many Cherries supporters but the referee and VAR got it right today guys.
As the laws are written and Richnrg above is correct, the first goal was good because the goal was not scored DIRECTLY from the West Ham handball. (Yes it would have been HANDBALL if the goal was scored directly from the offense).

When Zemura slid it might seem that his hands were in a natural position, but they also made his body larger, and he took a risk. The referee was correct to award the penalty - it was handball!

In my opinion, the goal doesn’t happen without the handball. It was all in the same passage of play. For as clear and obvious a deliberate handball as it was, you can absolutely read the whole incident as the goal coming directly from the deliberate handball. For me, 100% handball, 100% wrong decision. If that situation isn’t a handball, then what sport are we even watching anymore. It’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen.

I think the Zemura one is a penalty. It’s the same situation as our penalty shout; both players blocked a cross with their hands - deliberately or not. Why is their’s a penalty but ours isn’t? Why was ours last week against Southampton not? Why was Kelly’s and Lerma’s?

I do blame the referee, because we lost the game, ultimately, due to 2 incorrect decisions. Irrespective of how badly we played. I can appreciate that you disagree, but I don’t personally understand how!

Referee and VAR consistency is an issue for the league, but it has always been so, even when I refereed and I was a very good referee. I might call something this week against a team, and next week the referee may let it go. That is the nature of the job, just as players are also inconsistent with their own performances, VAR is no different although it should reduce subjectivity, it really doesn't, it was designed to identify Clear and Obvious mistakes of the on-field officials, and generally it does, but it is not perfect, and on that point I think we all agree,.

A disappointing result tonight for sure, but don't blame the referee. The players were unable to score goals and that is the only way to win games. Let's move on.

Handball was deliberate.

Just watched the game.

2 horrible decisions.

The first one being the worst.

The prick punched it forward with his wrist to keep the ball live.

Let's hope Solanke and Neto aren't too badly fcked otherwise we are toast.

Very proud of the boys over the last 2 games, but you can't play against 13 men.

The first goal should have been chalked off, and then only Brian knows what may have happened.

An enjoyable game to watch destroyed by VAR and the ref.

Really proud of all the players but the lack of squad depth may well cost us at this level.

Cook again shows why he is a clustwrfck of a player.

He now gets Gary O'Neil nod of approval to take all dead ball situations......then delivers worse ones than Tavernier.

Broke up many counter attacks with his indecisive through balls, and cost us more with hist **************** ones.

The guy needs a sit on the sidelines, but out lack of depth means we have to play him.

Anthony and Zemura tried well, the backing was generally good.

Tavernier has talent but needs a goal to cement hat in his mind.

Fredericks is good for about 40 mins.

Lerma played well.

Billing ****************.

Christie worse.

We can't rely on Moore at this level at all.

We have absolutely zero depth and if Neto and Solanke are out for a while we are fcked.

Gary O'Neil......did alright.

The first goal was a handball, then he lost his two best players,but our attack offered nothing.

Thanks Parker, you 3 striped Muppet.

I'd start Rothwell ahead of Cook, but in true English style Cook should be rejoiced for his ability to turn back towards goal, and not have a fcking clue what to do when it's ahead of him.

Hence ZERO PL goals.

Cook is pants.

JZ and Anthony have to start at the weekend. We looked so much more positive when they came on, also Tavs on the right seems a better fit.

I usually rate Cook (and I don't think he had a bad game) but I noticed a particularly immature side to his character against Saints and again tonight. He's prone to a bit of a flounce when things don't go his way and he's happy to call out anyone around him; might be nothing but I didn't like what I saw.

With regards to this now farcical handball rule, the IFAB need to review it asap. We have a long world cup break coming up – what better time to review it and scrap it.

Without fail there is a significant handball related VAR call in every round of games. Every round this season! How many points is this going to cost us come May? Are we going to sit on our hands and do nothing??

And finally, what a **************** away day. I'd forgotten how incompetent they are at dispersing a crowd and getting them away from the stadium. Absolute shambles.
Terrible place, terrible atmosphere.

Cook wasn't the reason we lost, but he has a massive hand in the reasons why we don't win.

He is defensively minded and likes to turn back towards goal when he has the ball.

He can't play a forward ball for toffee and the 2 presentable attacks that we did have he just simply couldn't put the ball where it needed to be. He was on the ball when we could have been assertive in that moment.

His dithering and propensity to turn back towards his keeper costs us.

Stand up Lewis Cook for dead ball attacks.

The guy hasn't hit the net in a PL game for about 7 years.

This ridiculousness if Tavernier and Cook are stood over dead balls when Cook only takes them needs to stop.

If Tavernier is definitely not going to take it, as scripted from the hymn sheet, then what on earth is he doing queued up behind the ball?

This charade of 2 players stood over the free kick and only one taking it serves no purpose other than giving the defensive side a one man advantage, when we already know who is taking it.

I like what O'Neil is trying to do, and we do look solid, but our nailed on starting 11 doesn't have much depth, especially up top.

That however is not O'Neils fault.

What we have seen under O'Neil is a massive upgrade as to what Parker served up.

Poor Gary O'Neil is stuck between a rock and a hard place, with little chance to change personnel when we get hit with injuries.

Where is the second lightning quick replacement that we always had under Howe,when the first one falls over.

Hate to say it, but Moore is Fletch all over again, but in a league where these types of players get little change.

Look at Woods at Newcastle.

Ineffective at this level.

You need speed and running the channels.

Not hold up play to draw a foul, which Cook and Tavernier stand over and neither of them can put a good ball in.

This team isn't far off being brilliant.we just need some additional world class players, which every other PL team seems to have.

Not the players or the managers fault, but come the January window, Foley is, in true Las Vegas style, have to stick or twist.

Let's hope he has the stomach for a spell in the Championship.

Last edited:
Cook wasn't the reason we lost, but he has a massive hand in the reasons why we don't win.

He is defensively minded and likes to turn back towards goal when he has the ball.

He can't play a forward ball for toffee and the 2 presentable attacks that we did have he just simply couldn't put the ball where it needed to be. He was on the ball when we could have been assertive in that moment.

His dithering and propensity to turn back towards his keeper costs us.

Stand up Lewis Cook for deadbolts....

This ridiculousness if Tavernier and Cook are stood over dead balls when Cook only takes them needs to stop.

If Tavernier is definitely not going to take it, as scrupted from the hymn sheet, then what on earth is he doing queued up behind the ball?

This charade of 2 players stood over the free kick and only one taking it serves no purpose other than giving the defensive side a one man advantage, when we already know who is taking it.

I like what O'Neil is trying to do, and we do look solid, but our nailed on starting 11 doesn't have much depth, especially up top.

That however is not O'Neils fault.

What we have seen under O'Neil is a massive upgrade as to what Parker served up.

Poor Gary O'Neil is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don’t think Lewis Cook is the first name we need to be looking at. The amount of ground he covers, the amount of tackles and passes he makes are adding to the team.

If you want a serious answer, Liz Truss and the Chancellor at the time decisions re mini budget affected a lot of our people with their mortgages going up, food prices etc with the damage to our economy.

These football decisions upset managers, players and fans, but it doesn’t affect people having to decide between putting food on the table or turning the heating on.

Some people would not be able to afford go to the game or even watch it on Sky etc.

Think this was a tongue in cheek question though.

Reactions: DJ
Neither are fit to hold office.

Both have had plenty of time to prepare to perform better.

Both have failed their supporters.

With regards to this now farcical handball rule, the IFAB need to review it asap. We have a long world cup break coming up – what better time to review it and scrap it.

Without fail there is a significant handball related VAR call in every round of games. Every round this season! How many points is this going to cost us come May? Are we going to sit on our hands and do nothing??

It's not the referees it's the rules. But let's say they change the rule tomorrow.
Next match it hits the hand of one of our players, 10 seconds later we score. Goal disallowed.
That's not a level playing field. West Ham benefit from an old rule, we don't. Arguably we lost a point last night and then a rule change will work against us in the future. You need consistency.

;