Why it was right Eddie left after relegation

AFCBade

UTC Legend
Always interesting to hear Eddie’s views on management and I think it sums up why it was the right decision that Eddie left us after relegation.

No doubt that time away from the game helped him regroup and become an even better manager. Pleased for him. It wouldn’t have happened in a condensed championship season impacted by covid. Think he needed the break

He needed that break, so yes he did make the right decision to take a year out and ’recharge his batteries’.

Newcastle United and their fans are now getting the benefit from that decision.

But what he has achieved so far up in Newcastle will not be missed for those looking for a replacement for Gareth Southgate in the future.

Eddie is probably the sort of person who would be a good fit for the England job and what it entails, interviews, man management etc.

Only problem is that EH thrives on day to day contact with the players, getting his ideas and values across.. and he won't get that so much if managing England.

I thought he looked seriously burnt out towards the end of his time with us.

He could be England Manager in a few weeks time..

...I can see England failing to win the group or at least not getting past the first knock - out stage.. they are just not very good.

Great to see Eddie looking so well and rejuvenated - he did indeed burn himself out trying to keep the AFCB boat afloat despite the best efforts of Fraser and one or two others.

Think the England job comes way too early for him. I'd love to see him win things at Newcastle, then maybe progress to one of the very top club jobs in world football.

The man is a legend, and we were blessed to have him for as long as we did.

...I can see England failing to win the group or at least not getting past the first knock - out stage.. they are just not very good.

wonder if southgate will step down, regardless of performance... this is his 3rd major tournament isn;t it? if he does fail to get out the groups, 100% certain he'll go for sure. Seems so many are bored of him/his football, so unless getting to the semi's or beyond, don;t think many would be that bothered to see him go.

No chance Eddie will take the England job now though. Depending how things transpire, he seems the ideal man at some point over the next 20 years. FA will love to appoint him at some point, as he's totally clean cut, in addition to being a very good manager.

That would be some downfall. Can't see it myself.
Realistically, there's only about half a dozen nations capable of winning it, and England has to be one of them.

What indications are there for us winning the damn thing....I'm buggered if I can see them !
Other than Foden, Madison or Mount maybe, none of the squad rekindle any previous embers of imagination within my brain !

Only problem is that EH thrives on day to day contact with the players, getting his ideas and values across.. and he won't get that so much if managing England.

Yes, this exactly. It's a bit of a cliche phrase to use, but Eddie is built to take players on a journey. He needs the consistency of time spent with a squad. It's still remarkable that he has had such a quick impact at Newcastle. The England job seems to be an elder statesman kind of role, which of course Eddie looks destined to become, but not yet.

I reckon he could do both. Let’s face it, England Manager isn’t really a full time job..

Sometimes things go stale when you’ve been at a club for an extended period like Howe and Wenger was at Arsenal. Just think a break was needed and it looks like it worked for Eddie. He’s be great for England with his attacking selections which England needs not boregate

And was let down badly by players who he now constantly picks for Newcastle.

Phenomenal insight from an exceptional man. Thanks for sharing.

This interview for me is what really sets Eddie apart from the masses in football management, he can reflect on his own performance, adapt and is absolutely meticulous in his preparation. Could be unfair, but do you reckon the likes of a Lampard, Gerrard or an old school 'proper football man' really put in that amount of preparation and thinking. And not a single football cliche in sight!

Interesting his point on learning to delegate more. Maybe Neil has a point..

A really great interview and a small window in to the man who transformed our club. Recommend watching the full thing.

The wee s hit rarely starts or comes on.
I listened to the whole interview and was a great listen. We knew Eddie was fully invested in his players and he describes it in the podcast as being like a father to children. It made me reconsider how he might have viewed Fraser as perhaps unfinished business. Despite his bad behaviour EH still "loved" him and was prepared to make him better. Fraser would certainly have been one of his favourite children, just watch the post match hugs after the 4-3 Liverpool game. He's still an ar$e in my eyes but Eddie is a forgiver.

;