Wigan weather forecast...

remember a game at the old Wigan ground back in the 80's. Went in the pub at 12-30 in bright sunshine, came out at 2-30 to find 3 inches of snow. Game was played with the lines swept but with a white ball. Only knew Wigan had scored when snow on the back of the net was shaken off. Lines swept at half time and an orange ball was found, lost 3-0 and snow stopped just before full time. trudged back to car and got about 2 miles down the road and suddenly it was all clear and raining. Got home no problem.
Safe travels for those going tomorrow.

Maybe most ofthe game will miss the worst of it.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-01-17&lat=53.5452&lon=-2.6361

redharry - 16/1/2018 14:16

remember a game at the old Wigan ground back in the 80's. Went in the pub at 12-30 in bright sunshine, came out at 2-30 to find 3 inches of snow. Game was played with the lines swept but with a white ball. Only knew Wigan had scored when snow on the back of the net was shaken off. Lines swept at half time and an orange ball was found, lost 3-0 and snow stopped just before full time. trudged back to car and got about 2 miles down the road and suddenly it was all clear and raining. Got home no problem.

Jan 4 1985

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
redharry - 16/1/2018 18:19

Jan 4 1985

I love that.

Where's the 'like' button?

I think you'll find that, if you magnify the other end, those are Emperor Penguins.

No way was that Springfield Park. You were in some poncy northern art gallery looking at a Lowry painting.

We did have a good snowball fight at half time.

edit to add it was an F A Cup third round game as well !!! Hope its a different score this time.

Anyone remember the "Big Freeze" of 1962-63? Started at the end of December and went on almost until April. Almost no football played until mid-March, I think.

DC was under snow for weeks - unheard of on the south coast. I think things started again with a match against Halifax Town on a pitch like an ice rink, only Ronnie Bolton managing to keep his feet. All before global warming ...

for those that are interested in wigan today it hit a high temp of 3 lol mix of rain hail sleet and snow nearly froze me knackers of getting a bacon butty at 9am 20 miles north in preston now n it is hailing like mad ah well only a 2 mile trip from work to the ground for me tomorrow

The TO told me that any uncollected tickets would be sent up to Wigan with the coaches. They also said that tickets were only posted out if there was three clear days before the game.

I'm sure there was another game at Wigan that got abandoned whilst we were winning by Clive Thomas because of snow. Ten minutes later it stopped! And I think when we went back midweek for the re-arranged game we got our revenge and won!

EnglandCherry - 16/1/2018 23:02

I'm sure there was another game at Wigan that got abandoned whilst we were winning by Clive Thomas because of snow. Ten minutes later it stopped! And I think when we went back midweek for the re-arranged game we got our revenge and won!

86/87 season. Abandoned at just past the point refunds not offered. Afcb pressing for the win given wind in our favour. Was horrendous but no worse that at kick off. Orange ball. Remember all road signs covered in snow so couldn’t find directions to get home (no sat nav back then!)

there was an abandoned game, I think in our promotion season with Harry. won the rearranged game 2-0 with O'Connor scoring both. I remember it being a bit warmer that day!

langham - 16/1/2018 19:31

Anyone remember the "Big Freeze" of 1962-63? Started at the end of December and went on almost until April. Almost no football played until mid-March, I think.

DC was under snow for weeks - unheard of on the south coast. I think things started again with a match against Halifax Town on a pitch like an ice rink, only Ronnie Bolton managing to keep his feet. All before global warming ...

Yes I remember that well. There is an archive Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly photo of our players around a dumper truck out on the snow covered pitch clearing the snow. Bill McGarry is driving the truck.

That year the season went on late into May. Some clubs managed an earlier resumption by using road tar burning machines to thaw out the ground. Two clubs using these machines were Brighton and Swindon. I distinctly remember those two away trips where the only grass visible was in the back of the goals.

;