WTF was all that about at the beginning?

Well known right wing posters getting upset about respect shown to Islamic players shocker..
Why do you need to be right wing to be against this sort of thing?

I go to football to watch football and that's it. I don't want to witness knee taking, rainbow stuff, Ramadan or any other political stuff. There's a time and place for it.

For instance Lineker is entitled to his views on social media platforms but not on MOTD. I disagree with him but he has the right to say what he feels without being cancelled.

In a world where people seem to find more and more reasons to hate the actions of others, I find it refreshing that we are able to do things such as last nights 'fast break'. The fact that a fair number of supporters applauded when they realised what was happening makes me glad that I'm not alone.
As for moaning about the kick-off time, I think that's pretty pathetic. The game was scheduled to start at 19:45 anyway, regardless of Ramadan. Nobody made anyone get there 'early'

We needed a fast start to the game and it was a crazy decision to start and then see 2 players trying to eat and drink on the pitch. Start at 8 and let them do it in private.

I go to football to watch football and that's it. I don't want to witness knee taking, rainbow stuff, Ramadan or any other political stuff. There's a time and place for it.

For instance Lineker is entitled to his views on social media platforms but not on MOTD. I disagree with him but he has the right to say what he feels without being cancelled.

Thanks for proving my point.

I know we have had this subject before, but the American representative on the financial side over here full time for Bill Foley, was speaking on Solent as I was travelling to the game and did mention there will be changes re music in the stadium and will have one or two surprises before the season ends.

But he said we will not be having cheerleaders.

Doesn;t surprise me. Cheerleaders and that kind of thing will soon be a thing of the past across all sports.

'Grid Girls' were outlawed in F1 a few years ago, as that didn;t fit in the modern worlds outlook apparently. ... no doubt as it fits into the objectifying category.

Funny enough, beautiful women and high octane sports/sportsmen, fast cars have always been well suited, attracted. And as far as I know, the women involved (at least in the west...) are there completely voluntarily, and probably love every minute of it. But no, that doesn;t fit in with whats good for us and the wider and agenda does it...

Don't you understand? People have a busy schedule on a Tuesday night. 3 minutes could be the difference between putting the bins out and not putting the bins out.

Half the stadium had to make up for it by leaving 5 minutes before the game finished.

Players want to break their fast and everyone in the game (well most people) want to accommodate this. Two options are delay kick off or get everyone there, start the game, then stop it for five minutes two minutes after kick off. There was an easy way to accommodate this without disrupting the game and ruining the atmosphere that they'd built up in a massive game against an old rival under the lights.

There was far more time being wasted by play acting injuries from some of the Brighton players during the course of the match, than any religious break. After the collision with Billing in the second half, once the player got back to the benches, he forgot to limp.

Players want to break their fast and everyone in the game (well most people) want to accommodate this. Two options are delay kick off or get everyone there, start the game, then stop it for five minutes two minutes after kick off. There was an easy way to accommodate this without disrupting the game and ruining the atmosphere that they'd built up in a massive game against an old rival under the lights.
Spot on SDD.

I do agree the kick-off should have been moved if possible. However, as others mentioned it was nowhere near as disruptive to the flow and atmosphere as the referee enabled timewasting by Seaweed. I know which one I'm personally more accommodating and respectful of.

Thats a typical theme in general isn;t it. Certain sections just aren't interested in not calling people nazi's, gammons, right wing, racists, bigots whatever, if you so much as suggest something like that. Screaming and shouting from their moral high horse, with no interest in any kind of debate.

Maybe you should tell your players that you want to watch football instead of rolling around on the floor and spending 5 minutes deciding which player is going to take the goal kick. Surely that could be sorted out before the game?

Thats a typical theme in general isn;t it. Certain sections just aren't interested in not calling people nazi's, gammons, right wing, racists, bigots whatever, if you so much as suggest something like that. Screaming and shouting from their moral high horse, with no interest in any kind of debate.
You’re right. That other section will call you a snowflake, commie, cripple and other such stuff.

I don’t see what’s wrong with football trying to be more open to other sections of society,

I do agree the kick-off should have been moved if possible. However, as others mentioned it was nowhere near as disruptive to the flow and atmosphere as the referee enabled timewasting by Seaweed. I know which one I'm personally more accommodating and respectful of.

I suppose it comes down to avoidable disruptions vs unavoidable ones. Who knows what was up with the refs equipment but they should take steps to avoid that. Obviously if it's an early injury then it's one of those things. But a pre-planned five minute break two minutes in is very poor.

We've all paid money to enjoy the game and the atmosphere and the powers that be have decided for us that we're happy for five minutes disruption to that just after kick off and for all the pre match excitement to drain away into the night.

Is sunset the same time throughout the UK?
Does the sun go down in Ipswich at the same time as Swansea?

No, it was about 19:40 in Bournemouth and I'd expect it be past 20:00 in the highlands of Scotland. I wonder if there's a set time across the UK or England so that fasts are broken at the same time.

My understanding is they can be exempt, but it is still their calm whether they wish to take that exemption. Clearly they didn't wish to, and adhered to fasting

There's a cultural aspect to it too the attitudes between a North American, West African and South East Asian Muslim will vary. Different branches and schools much like Christianity also impact the observances. Finally, it's happening in public so there's the element of peer pressure.

Fun fact 1 - It was common practise in the middle ages for Christians to practise fasting for Lent (or Quadragesima). Christians would often mock Muslim fasts as weak, effeminate, and easy by comparison.

Fun fact 2 - Ramadan is an excellent source of data on the health benefits of fasting which would otherwise be limited studies with small sample groups. There's also a lot to be learnt about the mental health benefits of prayer which can be substituted for mediation and reflection for the non-religious.

Maybe you should tell your players that you want to watch football instead of rolling around on the floor and spending 5 minutes deciding which player is going to take the goal kick. Surely that could be sorted out before the game?
Time wasting is a totally separate issue. All clubs do it, including us, supporters know it happens and it forms part of the game. Time is added on (or should be). I have no problem if Brighton exploit it, I can give them and the ref a bit of stick if I wish.

You’re right. That other section will call you a snowflake, commie, cripple and other such stuff.

I don’t see what’s wrong with football trying to be more open to other sections of society,

Indeed! Although saddened to see you mention 'cripple' there. Don't hear/read that at all, so I hope thats not something you encounter.

No, it was about 19:40 in Bournemouth and I'd expect it be past 20:00 in the highlands of Scotland. I wonder if there's a set time across the UK or England so that fasts are broken at the same time.

There's a cultural aspect to it too the attitudes between a North American, West African and South East Asian Muslim will vary. Different branches and schools much like Christianity also impact the observances. Finally, it's happening in public so there's the element of peer pressure.

Fun fact 1 - It was common practise in the middle ages for Christians to practise fasting for Lent (or Quadragesima). Christians would often mock Muslim fasts as weak, effeminate, and easy by comparison.

Fun fact 2 - Ramadan is an excellent source of data on the health benefits of fasting which would otherwise be limited studies with small sample groups. There's also a lot to be learnt about the mental health benefits of prayer which can be substituted for mediation and reflection for the non-religious.

It's a really interesting topic to people, like me, who are unfamiliar with the rules and reasons. I've seen quite a few articles about the various ways they observe it and what they do for athletes, rules in places like Norway that don't have sunset during Ramadan.

;