Your favourite footie supporter moments

One little 'ditty' that did amuse me was when I did a scouting job at Walsall a few years back. With 10 minutes of the game remaining I was satisfied that I had got enough i.e. the set pieces were the same and no change of formation etc. So I decided to leave early to avoid the traffic. On walking down the steps the the exit there was some half wit of a steward who I asked politely to open the gate so that I could leave. He stated that he could not open the gate until the end of the game. I theN muttered under my breath 'plucking hell'. He then stated that if I used language like that again he would throw me out. I then said for 'pluck' sake and he opened the gate and asked me to leave. The irony of it all was that I wanted to leave anyway!

The logic of the situation was astounding.

I hope this this counts: years ago I, along with a dear friend of mine, published Cherries: First Hundred Years by the lovely Kevin Nash. We had had some copies delivered to the studio and I took it upon myself to take a box down to Smiths in Boscombe, in the hope they would take few. I arrived to discover the whole of one wall of the shop covered with the books and supporters in queues purchasing them. I think we pretty much sold out in a weekend. The book is a collectors item now.

I hope this this counts: years ago I, along with a dear friend of mine, published Cherries: First Hundred Years by the lovely Kevin Nash. We had had some copies delivered to the studio and I took it upon myself to take a box down to Smiths in Boscombe, in the hope they would take few. I arrived to discover the whole of one wall of the shop covered with the books and supporters in queues purchasing them. I think we pretty much sold out in a weekend. The book is a collectors item now.
I've got my copy.

They are the very best International fans by far !
Just to be sure Brian, Dutch fans jumping up and down a mile away from the ground makes them the best International fans by far, but Boscombe fans chanting the managers name in a stadium is fucking daft and achieves nothing?

Would love to know so I don’t embarrass myself at my next away day.

Funnily enough Rp, I was only looking at my copy of this book this morning. I love coincidences!!

As a supporter...Warren Aspinall playing against us, getting whacked in the nuts...then just about getting up and over it, gets walloped again in the nuts with the ball smacked into him...and then seeing him thumping the turf in pain. :lol:
That was a truly memorable moment. It was the only time in my life when I have seen what seemed like every single person in a stadium laughing their heads off (all bar one perhaps, although even he managed a grim smile when the pain wore off!)

Shame that book couldn't have been published twenty years later,so much has happened since the First Hundred Years.

Years ago at Edgar Street a then friend of mine and me thought it would be funny to go into the home end and stand in the middle and start cheering for AFCB…needless to say after some jostling and abuse we were kicked out by the plods…we climbed back into the ground but the top of the wall had that stupid fluorescent paint on it so we had to try and cover it up to avoid being chucked out again!
….happy days those 70’s at matches!

Went to Leyton Orient and it was the game where Alan Connell got injured whilst in a decent bit of form.

About 1500 AFCB turned up that day, and a lot of us rocked up at five to three. To try and ease the congestion, the stewards said to use any turnstile, so loads of us went to the U16 one as it was mostly adults queing. The turnstile operator just carried on charging the child price much to the amusement of all the grown men.

A few years ago, I took my dog Dylan, a Golden Retriever cross, to the North Kent derby (Ebbsfleet v Dartford). Dogs weren’t allowed but the turnstile operator pointedly turned a blind eye. I quite enjoyed the game but not as much as Dylan because the kid sat next to him kept surreptitiously feeding him bits of his hot dog.

It’s not really up there in footballing terms with promotion at Charlton or winning at Spurs but it’s a really lovely memory. The little boy and the dog complicit in doing something naughty.

Last edited:
Years ago at Edgar Street a then friend of mine and me thought it would be funny to go into the home end and stand in the middle and start cheering for AFCB…needless to say after some jostling and abuse we were kicked out by the plods…we climbed back into the ground but the top of the wall had that stupid fluorescent paint on it so we had to try and cover it up to avoid being chucked out again!
….happy days those 70’s at matches!
I remember getting stuck in the turnstiles at Edgar street. Needless to say it was the turnstiles that were too narrow.

I remember getting stuck in the turnstiles at Edgar street. Needless to say it was the turnstiles that were too narrow.
I remember Hereford fans moaning about that match early 80's when we got promoted and invaded the pitch and had a go at them. I was very young, went with my grandad so can't remember fully what happened...

;