YouTube and Adblockers (nonish)

They’re everywhere aren’t they? As I’m tapping this on the iPad I’ve got Nespresso pods flashing at me at the bottom and last minute Cruises at the top.

I pretty much never click on the Echo website any more- the ads make it pretty unreadable as they either obliterate the whole article or they bounce the text all over the page. Just tried it to prove my point- went for an article about Senesi’s absence yesterday, and I’ve got two dental laboratory ads, another cruise ad, something about lingerie sets I just can’t live without, garden office huts, mobile stairlifts and recliner chairs and sink unblockers! Bloody hell- they must think I’m a toothless hobbling wrinkly perv with blocked drains who struts around the garden in his undies dreaming of a life on the high seas . Oh, hang on ……

They’re everywhere aren’t they? As I’m tapping this on the iPad I’ve got Nespresso pods flashing at me at the bottom and last minute Cruises at the top.

I pretty much never click on the Echo website any more- the ads make it pretty unreadable as they either obliterate the whole article or they bounce the text all over the page. Just tried it to prove my point- went for an article about Senesi’s absence yesterday, and I’ve got two dental laboratory ads, another cruise ad, something about lingerie sets I just can’t live without, garden office huts, mobile stairlifts and recliner chairs and sink unblockers! Bloody hell- they must think I’m a toothless hobbling wrinkly perv with blocked drains who struts around the garden in his undies dreaming of a life on the high seas . Oh, hang on ……

I use AdBlock on all my devices, including the kettle, it works really well unless sites like YouTube get stroppy and block you for using an adblocker.

I use uBlock Origin and Ghostery. I still get the occasional pop up from Youtube telling me to disable but I'm able to refresh the page to get around that for now.

Ublock for me too, I turn It off, click on the vid to make It play, then turn ublock back on, I only get the one advert at the beginning and no three strikes.

I pay about £1.30 a month with subscription from India using Revolut. I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV where you can't use an adblocker (you can if you have an android box or TV), so it's well worth it to me. Certainly wouldn't pay the £15 or whatever amount they want in the UK though.

Install tampermonkey on Chrome and use one of the youtube advert blockers. They work quickly to keep ahead of the blocks. Since YT got stricter I now have to put up with a millisecond blink of the adverts and it just continues.

I pay about £1.30 a month with subscription from India using Revolut. I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV where you can't use an adblocker (you can if you have an android box or TV), so it's well worth it to me. Certainly wouldn't pay the £15 or whatever amount they want in the UK though.

Yeah, although my music service of choice is also youtube/Google music, whatever they call it now.

By the time you factor in all the pissing around, plus music thrown in and easy flexibility of playing/seemlessly syncing it across all your devices, being able to download YouTube videos (dj/dance music mixes in my case...) I just thought f*** it and went down the legit route.

Of course the cost has steadily risen over the past 5 years or so, as is tge case with most streaming/subscription services...

As with anything, people derive value from different things. I've spent enough years p1ssing around with music/videos via less legit means to value ease of use/convenience over saving a few pounds and headaches that inevitably pop up. People's mileage varies of course.

So why does Sky have so many ads when you have already paid a hefty sum to watch their programs.

A lot of Skys content is either created by them or they pay for it. Youtube is a streaming platform, they haven't paid for anything you watch on there (unless its the paid streaming services) so their costs are infrastructure based. The people really missing out from adblocks are the content creators and since the adpocalypse they hardly pay the creators anything from the adverts they run before or during the videos. Thats why most of them have in video sponsors so they dont miss out.

I use AdBlock on all my devices, including the kettle, it works really well unless sites like YouTube get stroppy and block you for using an adblocker.

If I downloaded this App, would it stop my wife from talking/interrupting while I’m watching TV?

A lot of Skys content is either created by them or they pay for it. Youtube is a streaming platform, they haven't paid for anything you watch on there (unless its the paid streaming services) so their costs are infrastructure based. The people really missing out from adblocks are the content creators and since the adpocalypse they hardly pay the creators anything from the adverts they run before or during the videos. Thats why most of them have in video sponsors so they dont miss out.
Thats not the point, paying for something then having to put up with ads is not on.
ITV or C4 and other tv channels are free. You Tubers like any other content makers make money by the ads, I believe 1 million western views will generate £2000 for the creator.
Asian views and the ad money is less.

Thats not the point, paying for something then having to put up with ads is not on.
ITV or C4 and other tv channels are free. You Tubers like any other content makers make money by the ads, I believe 1 million western views will generate £2000 for the creator.
Asian views and the ad money is less.

Sorry, I am lost. Whats not the point? If someone creates a video which is watched 1 million times....how much do you think advertisers are paying Youtube for the advert played in front of their video? Can you imagine being creative enough to produce work which is watched by 1 million people a month and only getting enough money to cover your mortgage. (The actual amount will depend on the content and demograph)

If Youtube actually paid the advertising money fairly to the creators they wouldnt need to have their own video sponsors.

Or did I miss the point of your post?

I use YouTube premium and find that worth the cost. Yes it means no pre or mid stream ads, but it's also useful for other functions. Such as keeping audio going with the screen locked, given much of what I "watch" is more of podcast type, and downloading them to my local storage for when I'm traveling on car / bus / train.

Any sponsor / advert the creator sometimes read out at some point (to make up for how poorly YouTube treats them) is insignificant compared to the more intrusive YouTube placed adverts, which cut away and come back. So I don't mind, so long as they keep them fairly minimal.

Sorry, I am lost. Whats not the point? If someone creates a video which is watched 1 million times....how much do you think advertisers are paying Youtube for the advert played in front of their video? Can you imagine being creative enough to produce work which is watched by 1 million people a month and only getting enough money to cover your mortgage. (The actual amount will depend on the content and demograph)

If Youtube actually paid the advertising money fairly to the creators they wouldnt need to have their own video sponsors.

Or did I miss the point of your post?
paying for something then having to put up with ads is not on.
I was talking about SKY, why do you have to pay for it if they are making millions from ads.

;