1968 admission price.

RecordMac9

First Team
My first game was in this year at Dean Court,however I can't remember what the charge was to get in.I stood in the main stand pen area until moving to the South end the season after.Any older fans remember?

1968. My earliest memory, tho I was taken to DC before then.

My first memory is Liverpool at home....or was it Bury St Edmunds away?
League game was Tranmere at home 3-4.

Fanta and Coke was 6d a bottle, with 1d back on the empty.

Started going to away games in 70/71 season but parents always paid for me so no idea what admission prices were for away games or what cosy coaches charged us for getting there.

I was 12 in 1968, and I'm pretty sure it cost two bob to get in the South End. Wonder how much that would be today adjusted for inflation ?

I think when they had the enclosure running the length of the MS it cost 2/6d, but could be wrong as it was a long time back.

In 1968 I was ten and living on Holdenhurst Road near the station. Memory can be an unreliable witness. That said, I remember my dad giving me half a crown (two shillings and sixpence, or 12.5p) to go in that enclosure. Instead I spent two shillings (10p) to go in the Brighton Beach end, and bought two packets of polos with the sixpence I saved. The game was against Stockport County I think and it was a freezing cold day.

Amazing really to think of a ten year old being given the money to go off and do something like that on their own.

Edited to say that we played Stockport at home on 20 January that year so maybe my memory was right about it being very cold. We won 1-0 but I don’t remember that.

Last edited:
In 1968 I was ten and living on Holdenhurst Road near the station. Memory can be an unreliable witness. That said, I remember my dad giving me half a crown (two shillings and sixpence, or 12.5p) to go in that enclosure. Instead I spent two shillings (10p) to go in the Brighton Beach end, and bought two packets of polos with the sixpence I saved. The game was against Stockport County I think and it was a freezing cold day.

Amazing really to think of a ten year old being given the money to go off and do something like that on their own.

Edited to say that we played Stockport at home on 20 January that year so maybe my memory was right about it being very cold. We won 1-0 but I don’t remember that.
When 11 I went with a scouse kid at school to the away end at the Dell to watch Everton. Just the two of us jumped on a train and paid on the gate to stand up then got the train back. My kid is 11 and i look at him and think there’s no bloody way I’d let him do that!

is he molly coddled, is society different or did my parents not give enough of a s***??!! Probably a combo of all three.:grinning:

When I was 14, we had to move down to Worthing, so I used to regularly hitch to Dean Court and back, all by myself. Definitely wasn't a mollycoddled child, my mum and dad were of the wartime generation and were happy for me to simply get out there and enjoy life without endless fussing and worrying. And blimey, nearly half a century later, I'm still here ! But I won't be hitching down to Boscombe tomorrow.

When I was 14, we had to move down to Worthing, so I used to regularly hitch to Dean Court and back, all by myself. Definitely wasn't a mollycoddled child, my mum and dad were of the wartime generation and were happy for me to simply get out there and enjoy life without endless fussing and worrying. And blimey, nearly half a century later, I'm still here ! But I won't be hitching down to Boscombe tomorrow.
Just think... do that today and you will be stuck in an electric car for 2 hours on the M27 roadworks having to watch the start of the game on your telephone via a satellite orbiting above India... Imagine if someone had told you that back then...

When 11 I went with a scouse kid at school to the away end at the Dell to watch Everton. Just the two of us jumped on a train and paid on the gate to stand up then got the train back. My kid is 11 and i look at him and think there’s no bloody way I’d let him do that!

is he molly coddled, is society different or did my parents not give enough of a s***??!! Probably a combo of all three.:grinning:
Today the kid would expect you to drive him to Southampton, buy him a Mcdonalds before the game, drop him at the ground, pick him up afterwards and take him home via KFC. Different world.

I recall when I was 13 going on the Cherries Bees coach to Brentford with a mate. Got there no problem, straight in the Brentford end of course for fun and games. Got back to where the coach pick up was and the cops tell us they sent the coach on early because of trouble ! We knew there was another Cherry Bees coach that was spending the evening in Soho and then departing from Victoria coach station about midnight. So with a couple of other lads we hatched a plan to get there. This involved jumping the tube barriers a couple of times and finding our way across London to Victoria (without the aid of phones and map apps of course).
We arrived at Victoria and dossed about for a couple of hours or so and the coach driver let us sit on the floor all the way back home as the coach was full. Got back to DC at 3.00 a.m.
To say that my Dad was furious would be an understatement, not pissed with me but the Met Police. I was present when he rang them the next day to tell them what he thought. First time I ever heard the "F" word from my Dad.
Great day out though.

In 66 you could travel to the Dell see a game and back,
Bus, train, fish n chips, program, ticket, train, bus, Football pink.
all for a £1.

I used to stand on the Brighton Beach end in the early/mid 60's and, if my memory is correct, it cost 1/3d or 1/6d.
I used to catch the public bus to primary school in the 50's and the fare was 1d single. Sometimes I would walk home and spend the 1d on an ice lolly or 4 farthing chews.

;