50 gigs that changed music. (non)

Stretch had Elmer Gantry as lead singer. Misty were great there, they had the mighty observer sound system in 82. Eek a mouse magnificent as were various other reggae bands promoted by Kimberly Productions. Think I saw Aswad. Didn’t see the cure but saw them that same tour at my college bar in Kingston. A mate curated the tour and put them on so I could see them.

After the town hall there were reggae gigs at Midnight Express née Jokers. Certainly saw Talisman there.

Far too many to mention but purely from a Bournemouth perspective it has to be The Nice sometime around 1968/9 at the old Ritz. Apart from the music the image of Keith Emerson plunging 12 inch hunting knives into his keyboard has really stuck in my mind.

Far too many to mention but purely from a Bournemouth perspective it has to be The Nice sometime around 1968/9 at the old Ritz. Apart from the music the image of Keith Emerson plunging 12 inch hunting knives into his keyboard has really stuck in my mind.

Before my time but would have loved to have seen that. My first gig was ELP at the winter gardens. 10 November 1972. Our school speech day was there in the afternoon so they couldn’t start setting the stage until we’d finished!

Opening track I think was Hoedown.

Before my time but would have loved to have seen that. My first gig was ELP at the winter gardens. 10 November 1972. Our school speech day was there in the afternoon so they couldn’t start setting the stage until we’d finished!

I prefer the original

My first gig as well, went with my older brother and his mates. Not 18 at the time, so had to stand back from the bar in the Exeter pre gig, drinking my Trophy top.

Never heard of a school having a speech day back then, unless it was in Whack-o, Billy Bunter or a Jennings book : )

My first gig as well, went with my older brother and his mates. Not 18 at the time, so had to stand back from the bar in the Exeter pre gig, drinking my Trophy top.

Never heard of a school having a speech day back then, unless it was in Whack-o, Billy Bunter or a Jennings book : )

I went to Winton boys and we had speech day every year at the town hall. Cllr Bessie Bicknell always gave a speech. 1964-69.

I may still have one of my Jennings books!

For sheer musical listening pleasure I’m surprised no one has mentioned Motörhead at the BIC.

Bournemouth always seemed to feel it was too good for metal/rock. Often it was a case of Poole Arts Centre or Soton Gaumont.

One stuck in my memory - Led Zeppelin in 1971 at Starkers Royal Ballrooms, Boscombe. An unusual venue for probably the biggest band in the world at the time.

;