50 gigs that changed music. (non)

Let’s talk Winter Gardens. If I listed all of the bands I saw there it would be longer than War and Peace. My first gig was either Curved Air or Family ( the brain gets foggy at my age) and the last one I remember before leaving town was Joe Jackson.

The 2 Tone gig at the (then) Chelsea Village in ‘79 was special (excuse the pun).

I remember that Terry Hall was in the same pub or bar as us before the gig, but I can’t remember what pub it was.
Yeah, Elvis Costello was hanging around that night as well.

The 2 Tone gig at the (then) Chelsea Village in ‘79 was special (excuse the pun).

I remember that Terry Hall was in the same pub or bar as us before the gig, but I can’t remember what pub it was.
They were in the central bars with a journalist,record mirror, i think.Was the gig on a Sunday night.

According to the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ylan-goes-electric-50-gigs-that-changed-music

There's about a dozen I would have loved to be at, but only managed one.

That being the obvious.

Kate Bush's only tour, at the Art Centre.

A memorable gig made slightly strange by us going to the stage door after the gig and meeting her as she came out.

A bit stoned and smelled like she hadn't had a bath in 3 months.

Bizarrely, the only one from their list that I saw the tour of was The Shamen at The Opera House some time before their big hit singles. There was barely anyone in the audience, maybe 50 people at most, no support and they turned up very late did about 20 minutes and walked off. We complained and asked for our money back but the manager said they'd played so no refunds, which is presumably why they did the 20 minutes.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds were support for Dave Edmunds and it was at Chelsea Village. Great gig. Saw a few other great ones there too; Johnny "Guitar" Watson only a couple of dozen people there but he was great, Procul Harum, Blondie's first UK gig, The Jam.

Johnny Guitar Watson was a great night. By the end there were only a handful left. He came out and asked us what we’d like to hear as an encore. Met him afterwards and still have the signed programme.

Elton, The Beach Boys and The Eagles amongst others at Wembley 1976.

The others were Joe Walsh (who also played with the Eagles), Rufus and Stackridge. 21 June 1975. Great line up.

Of the 50 I was at one, the two time tour at the Lyceum in London, it was a great night. Madness had left the tour by then to be replaced by the relatively unknown Dexy’s. It was a brilliant, sweaty night and we left just as the fight started. During the encore ‘you’re wondering now’

Elton, The Beach Boys and The Eagles amongst others at Wembley 1976.

The others were Joe Walsh (who also played with the Eagles), Rufus and Stackridge. 21 June 1975. Great line up.

Of the 50 I was at one, the two time tour at the Lyceum in London, it was a great night. Madness had left the tour by then to be replaced by the relatively unknown Dexy’s. It was a brilliant, sweaty night and we left just as the fight started. During the encore ‘you’re wondering now’

I saw Stackridge in Yeovil and they were so good we saw them again at Boscombe Ballrooms as was on the same tour. Really great fun gig with Mutter Slater playing the dustbin lids. I even remember dancing.

My first ever concert was in 1960 Cliff Richards and Shirley Bassey visited our school and sang a few songs, next up was the Beatles at the Gaumont cinema 1963,
1967, the most weirdest gig i have ever been to, the Catacombs in the church next to the Echo office . There were about 100 people sat on the floor with psychedelic lights on the walls and some very loud strange music, the band playing was Pink Floyd. Always remember that as my first real gig, been to 1000s since but that one always sticks out.
Status Quo always playing at the Hive was another, a 5 piece band back then, they were known for Matchstick Men and Ice in the Sun, so hearing them playing hard rocking blues was amazing.
They went on to bigger things too.
Music fans were lucky to live in the Bournemouth area with venues like the Winter Garden , The Hive, Village Bowl.

https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2019/09/whatever-happened-to-chelsea-village/

My first ever concert was in 1960 Cliff Richards and Shirley Bassey visited our school and sang a few songs, next up was the Beatles at the Gaumont cinema 1963,
1967, the most weirdest gig i have ever been to, the Catacombs in the church next to the Echo office . There were about 100 people sat on the floor with psychedelic lights on the walls and some very loud strange music, the band playing was Pink Floyd. Always remember that as my first real gig, been to 1000s since but that one always sticks out.
Status Quo always playing at the Hive was another, a 5 piece band back then, they were known for Matchstick Men and Ice in the Sun, so hearing them playing hard rocking blues was amazing.
They went on to bigger things too.
Music fans were lucky to live in the Bournemouth area with venues like the Winter Garden , The Hive, Village Bowl.

https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2019/09/whatever-happened-to-chelsea-village/

Just spoke to my friend, apparently Pink Floyd were playing the next night at the Winter Gardens and were just jamming in the church basement.

There were some amazing gigs at the Village. Stand outs for me were The Stranglers, the first time I ever saw punks.
Live Stiffs. Wreckless Eric and Lene Lovich being the stars.
Human League. Before they went MOR with the women, we even had a slide show.
Man.......in quadrophonic!
Gary Glitter, let's not go there!

AC/DC twice in less than 18 months also,damn they were loud. Saw Wilko Johnsons Solid Sender in the disco section with a "crowd" of about 50 !

The Fabulous Thunderbirds were support for Dave Edmunds and it was at Chelsea Village. Great gig. Saw a few other great ones there too; Johnny "Guitar" Watson only a couple of dozen people there but he was great, Procul Harum, Blondie's first UK gig, The Jam.
Yes thanks, Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe in a group called Rockpile. The Fabulous Thunderbirds were better in my opinion though. Probably 1980?

One my strangest was seeing uriah heap at the hive, seats set out in front of the stage, 200 people max early 70's deaf for days .......

The Smiths, Poole Arts Centre. Just a great gig.

Pink Floyd, The Wall, Earls Court, 1981 I think.

Loads of others that I really enjoyed.

Two Tone tour Buddy Holly Pistols out of the Guardian list of ones I'd be bothered to see.

Locally would have loved to have seen Rockpile and Ramones that have been mentioned. Favourite local gig probably The Jam in 82 at Arts Centre

;