Aaron Ramsdale

Played full game for England U21's last night beating Qatar 4-0 in Toulon Trophy.

Lewis Cook was subbed at half time.

The other way around, he came on at half time and finished the match, Not injured, nothing to worry about it. Think he was being rested but at only 1-0 at half time Adie wanted him on. Aaron didn't have much to do really

edit: ^ that up there

edit2: We're almost guaranteed to be in the semis though. Headlines say anxious wait, but unless both Togo beat France and Scotland beat South Korea both by 4 clear goals, we'll be in the semis as best runner up. Both games this afternoon/evening

Last edited:
I managed to find a stream and saw most of the match. Qatar team was their under 19s and had already been beaten 4-1 by Mexico, but England U21s struggled to score in the first half. I got a feed about 5 mins in and immediately saw Lewis wasn’t in midfield but decided to continue watching anyway. Most of the play was in the Qatar half as the U21s needed to win by 5 to top the group and guarantee a semi-final place. I gradually noticed that the goalkeeper looked like Ramsdale - but the ball rarely reached him so he wasn’t often in shot. Eventually the commentator confirmed Boothroyd had made seven changes with Lewis on the bench and Aaron starting in goal. First half ended 1-0 to England (own goal) - though it was a scrappy game with lots of poor finishing by England and a few decent saves by the Qatari keeper (though he made one Karius type blunder presenting the ball to Abrahams who managed to scuff it and allowed a defender to clear when it looked like a certain goal). One point of interest in the first half was that the Leeds fullback that we are apparently interested in (Tom Pearce?) played and he became more involved as the game progressed and became quite a threat the longer the first half went on. He was involved in the second best chance to score another goal by taking a free kick and hitting the outside of the post.

Second half started with two substitutes on - Lewis (for Everton’s Davies) and Da Silva for Pearce (who was a tad unlucky to be taken off, but England went three at the back and played wing-backs, trying to press more for goals). There was an instant upping of pace and passing accuracy at the start of the second half and England were much more dangerous. Lewis was pulling the strings and put through some fine balls, some which led to good chances and at least one created an opening for the second or third goal. England also had a goal ruled out for offside (Abrahams) and the Qatari keeper made a series of great saves...even though eventually it was 4-0. Abrahams got one and so did Armstrong - but the best goal was Ronaldo Viera’s (strong midfielder, also at Leeds, who would be a great addition for us). England needed 5, but ended with 4, but should still go through as the best second place team. Commentator was very positive about Lewis and more or less said he’d come on and changed the game. Fantastic to see two AFCB players representing England - for Ramsdale it was his U21 debut but he was rarely called into action.

One final point - Steven Gerrard was there in the stand scouting potential players for Rangers (bet he was impressed by Cook - but he ain’t getting him obviously).

Last edited:
England U21s are definitely through to the Toulon semi-finals as Scotland only managed a 2-1 victory (so if they finish second in their group with 7 points and +2 goal difference, England would better that with 7 points and +5 goal difference).

Makes sense for him to get some solid competitive game time.

Who will be our third choice keeper until the end of the season now? I'm guessing someone from the youth team. That could be a scary prospect!

Ok, blandford_cherry already answered. Is Travers pretty highly rated then?

Who will be our third choice keeper until the end of the season now? I'm guessing someone from the youth team. That could be a scary prospect!

Wasn't there something about emergency recall clauses still being allowed for loaned KEEPERS ? In that case we are still covered. If anything happens to Bego and Boruc we would still have the option to recall Ramsdale. In the meantime he might hopefully get some regular game time which will enable us to better assess his progress and future potential.

I think he’s Irish under 21 keeper, he’s the one that warms up with begovic and boruc every game

I think Ramsdale is rated higher but that's why he needs gametime to progress more. Yes emergency recalls are allowed for keepers. Rather than watching Kingstonian, I'll swing over there a few times now to see how he's getting along

I think Ramsdale is rated higher but that's why he needs gametime to progress more. Yes emergency recalls are allowed for keepers. Rather than watching Kingstonian, I'll swing over there a few times now to see how he's getting along
Keep us up to date on his progress Cockbeard (y)
Really hard to judge a keeper when he doesn't get an extended run in the team. Hopefully that's exactly what he'll get at Wimbledon. We'll soon be faced with the problem of replacing Boruc ( I'd imagine ) and we need to know whether we will be looking to buy someone in or whether Ramsdale can come back and become our new number two.

;