Accounts

Al particularly quiet past few years, then unsurprisingly steps forth in a gloating tone when things take a downward turn. What a surprise.

Like a pig in ****************.

Can you see why some of us have simply sat back and enjoyed the ride? It was brilliant while it lasted and we've not really lost anything.

What is it you think people should be angry about?

Seriously rich bloke rocks up (trust me no ever thought that would happen ..ever). This very forum where we waxed lyrical over 1987 didn't believe it. Some mystical poster called UEL said it was true and Max had this 'plan' and all those hints. The only other person who really had a clue in the early days was @borisatha ..kept feeding us positive news, fair play.

Max then has the damned cheek to take the club to the promised land for not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 but 5 fecking years...with Eddie of course (I'm pretty damned sure it was a perfect match). In the process we beat nearly every PL team apart from City including all of the stablished top six. Many of us were fortunate enough to see it all in person, live, soak it up and bank it...

I've a mate who's a Chesterfield fan (remember Saltergate) look where they are now. They could only dream of achieving what happened here, he kind of looks at this club like we're a giant albeit a fallen one with relegation but really couldn't care less about the size of our ground - he accepts they'll never turn over Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal et al and be there to witness it in his lifetime and as a football fan isn't that the panacea ? Playing the very best, in the best league on the planet and beating them, matching them, out singing them in their vast souless monolith stadia.

That said, in the greatest traditions of the forum I'm probably tin pot for still being a bit starry eyed.

Back to the accounts.

After 11 years of giving the real meanings of the accounts, there is no point.
The f"tards still think the club is so beautiful and beyond reproach.
Hence my silence, but inner laughter on how people perceive things.

Seriously, some of the posts have had me crying with laughter....and I mean crying.
Which ones? Expand.

I am not sure what the "real meanings of the accounts" is and if I did know what the real meaning is, what I am supposed to do about it.

it's hard to argue against an unfalsifiable?

Which ones? Expand.

Like I say, was quiet the past few years, expect to see him become more prominent again if things spiral, claiming he had knowledge or foresight no-one else did.

I don;t think anyone on here thinks the club is beautiful and beyond reproach.

What a surprise, small club gets relegated and runs substantial losses. None of us could have seen that one coming...

Tell you what Al, as you and your God complex are above most of us mere mortals on here, tell us exactly what we can do about the present situation. Something actionable would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
The accounts as published show what what was expected a significant loss a debt to the owner trading losses all were to be expected.
The salary to turnover that was high but in a way will be offset by other income in the next year and will reduce or should in the next set of accounts.
The real issue is the loan to Max if we are successful then he may well take it over a period of time but if we start to struggle with that amount invested then he surely will have some serious thinking about calling in the loan or protecting it in some way.

The accounts published are interesting but in a number of ways are just the barest information needed.

You never really see a true picture until a company changes hands or folds but if a full glass is perfect and empty is oh hell, I sit just below half .
because no one knows what Max,s plan is and the value of the club has dropped massively since relegation.

Like I say, was quiet the past few years, expect to see him become more prominent again if things spiral, claiming he had knowledge or foresight no-one else did.

I don;t think anyone on here thinks the club is beautiful and beyond reproach.

What a surprise, small club gets relegated and runs substantial losses. None of us could have seen that one coming...

Tell you what Al, as you and your God complex are above most of us mere mortals on here, tell us exactly what we can do about the present situation. Something actionable would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• ExyaNPPU8AAl1l9.jpg
    ExyaNPPU8AAl1l9.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 30
Elton remembered when Rock was young.
..when Him and Suzy had so much fun..

We remember when Cooky pulled the trigger.
And the Scouse fans couldn't figure,
Stunned by the sun in their eyes.
They had to blink,
As Ake went 'dink,
Twas the Apex of Eddies Rise .

That was the outstanding memory of the period...with quite a few others rivalling that... but we needed a standing legacy from those years of drawing big bucks from the TV people.
The standing legacy could only be a Stadium at least as large as St Marys.. or MK Dons ! - a capacity three times ours in L1/ L2 !

Elton left Watford in a tidy state and would still bale them out if necessary !

Where's Ollie Murs now !

Seriously rich bloke rocks up (trust me no ever thought that would happen ..ever). This very forum where we waxed lyrical over 1987 didn't believe it. Some mystical poster called UEL said it was true and Max had this 'plan' and all those hints. The only other person who really had a clue in the early days was @borisatha ..kept feeding us positive news, fair play.

Max then has the damned cheek to take the club to the promised land for not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 but 5 fecking years...with Eddie of course (I'm pretty damned sure it was a perfect match). In the process we beat nearly every PL team apart from City including all of the stablished top six. Many of us were fortunate enough to see it all in person, live, soak it up and bank it...

I've a mate who's a Chesterfield fan (remember Saltergate) look where they are now. They could only dream of achieving what happened here, he kind of looks at this club like we're a giant albeit a fallen one with relegation but really couldn't care less about the size of our ground - he accepts they'll never turn over Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal et al and be there to witness it in his lifetime and as a football fan isn't that the panacea ? Playing the very best, in the best league on the planet and beating them, matching them, out singing them in their vast souless monolith stadia.

That said, in the greatest traditions of the forum I'm probably tin pot for still being a bit starry eyed.

Back to the accounts.

Don’t forget your mate did see the Big Man for one season after his ‘holiday’ away from Dean Court. :grinning:

Max we were told was a fan of our club after watching us for three seasons before he became involved.

Most importantly, apart from being a businessman he is a football fan.

We have a lot to thank him for, taking us on that enjoyable ride through the leagues and making my dream amongst others come true to see my team play in the top league against the top teams and players.

Max and Eddie were a perfect partnership and that mustn’t be forgotten whatever happens in the future.

Max I don't think is particularly bothered about the infrastructure/property side of things. I suspect he took one look at the potential returns of that type of investment and thought it would suit him better to focus on the squad. I don't know what he's taken out of the club or whether he has had more intangible benefits - it may simply be a vanity project for him in which case he's decided that there's more glamour in buying expensive players than spending loads on a ground.

I can't see him benefitting fiscally from his ownership. There's no way he could've extracted £160M without it showing on the accounts.

What I don't really understand is that he waited to go big on investment in the EPL and now we're letting players go and taking 'cheap' managerial decisions. Like you say it's his choice and his money so fair enough. If vanity spending on players was the motive it's very selective though.

I also don't really get all the talk about improving facilities if the plan was always vanity spending on players because the stadium and the training ground were talked about like a dead cert for years.

It's very difficult to learn anything about Max or his plans from any of this.

I didn't say about using the EPL cash for a stadium. In many ways it doesn't matter where the cash comes from - if the return is less than investing in something risk-free then you're losing money however you look at it. Investing in the ground was ways going to be writing the money off unless they could fund in through development or public money like many other clubs.

I think you said something along the lines of you'd sooner have a stadium than have ever reached the Premier League. My phrasing was a bit janky but the point still stands unless I misunderstood.

I can't see him benefitting fiscally from his ownership. There's no way he could've extracted £160M without it showing on the accounts.

What I don't really understand is that he waited to go big on investment in the EPL and now we're letting players go and taking 'cheap' managerial decisions. Like you say it's his choice and his money so fair enough. If vanity spending on players was the motive it's very selective though.

I also don't really get all the talk about improving facilities if the plan was always vanity spending on players because the stadium and the training ground were talked about like a dead cert for years.

I think you said something along the lines of you'd sooner have a stadium than have ever reached the Premier League. My phrasing was a bit janky but the point still stands unless I misunderstood.
I do wonder if whilst Eddie was bringing home the bacon every season in achieving and over-achieving, Max felt Eddie was worth the infrastructure outlay (at least to the training ground level of cost) to keep him happy and keep those results rolling in. If your horse keeps winning you the races, and you then need to spend more to maintain the horse, you'd do it.

Perhaps at some point over the last couple of years, as Max saw it Eddie was losing that midas touch? And if Max did start to question whether Eddie was to be the sure fire bet forever, added to the relegation fight we were dragged into autumn 2019, then covid 2020, it might make sense that he became hesitant on the non-squad related spend that was intended to keep Eddie happy here.

Complete speculation that. And the flaw with that line of thinking is, if Max hasn’t been so happy with Eddie lately, why were the club on such a back foot when it came to other options (twice).

Last edited:

Well, I suppose we have to be careful what we say on here but it seems to me that the whole of football finance is a very murky business with lots of potentially hidden benefits that don't appear to make sense at face value. Transfer fees at vastly inflated prices don't appear to be the same sort of investment as infrastructure where you are dealing with non-football contracts.

On my preference I was just saying what I'd prefer as a supporter if it was an either/or choice along similar lines as the cup win vs promotion debate. It turned out very enjoyable even though we didn't get the bigger ground many of us would have liked.

;