Adam Smith

Ake played well for Watford last season on loan as a left back.

Watford's on-loan defender Nathan Ake managed to escape a serious injury after taking a fall off the Vicarage Road pitch during the club's goalless draw with Bournemouth on Saturday.

Ake, who is spending the season at the club from Chelsea, was unhurt after he was seen running towards the corner flag, stopping the ball from going out of play before stepping onto the advertising hoarding and jumping below.

Unbeknown to the left-back, however, was a six-foot drop awaiting him which resulted in Ake falling to the concrete ground below.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/watford-defender-nathan-ake-lucky-to-escape-injury-after-falling-off-vicarage-road-pitch-a3191416.html

when smith was injured during pre-season, didn't we play a range of players at RB? I remember O'Kane and perhaps MacDonald playing there?

when smith was injured during pre-season, didn't we play a range of players at RB? I remember O'Kane and perhaps MacDonald playing there?

USCherry - 6/11/2016 12:46

The Alchemist - 6/11/2016 07:43

Wilson is injured.

It'll be Franno at RB at and Mings in the middle.
Trouble with this is, we disrupt two partnerships, rather than just playing Ake at RB and keeping our CB pairing consistent. Although we do have the break to work on pairings so it is possible.

Agree. Two unexpected defeats makes the stoke game even more crucial. Give ake a run out at right back makes sense

Ake and the positions he likes to play.

“I can play in midfield, left-back or centre-back. I’m a player who works really hard, a left-footed player who tries to play football on the ground.

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/first-team/150817-nathan-ake-on-joining-watford-fc

USCherry - 6/11/2016 13:13

Only problem with that is they have both left the cllub

Smith is one of our best players now, he's going to be a massive miss regardless of who comes in. With Surman, Wilson, Gradel and now Smith out, we seem to have quickly lost a lot of key players.

NWCherries98 - 6/11/2016 16:27

Smith is one of our best players now, he's going to be a massive miss regardless of who comes in. With Surman, Wilson, Gradel and now Smith out, we seem to have quickly lost a lot of key players.

What's up with Gradel?

tedisking - 6/11/2016 09:35

USCherry - 6/11/2016 13:13

Only problem with that is they have both left the cllub
lets see if you can infer what my point was

Walker got subbed off for Spurs today with an injury, increasing the likelihood of Smith getting called up for England.

BoyRacer - 6/11/2016 17:44

Walker got subbed off for Spurs today with an injury, increasing the likelihood of Smith getting called up for England.

Think it was being reported in the papers today that Smith was one Sunday injury away from a call up so Walker going down probably makes that likely.

Wilshere due to be picked too - which worries me a lot knowing our luck with injuries.

I thought too he had made a gesture, but it seemed more questioning(as if he had received some grief) rather than aggressive to whoever the target was.
Its also a sad state of affairs internationally if he does get called up, says a lot about availability. I like his passion, his willingness and ability to take people on with a short 5-10 yard burst often just in opponents half that puts them on the back foot, often resulting in good positions
However, I do get frustrated by his poor crossing (highlighted yesterday), and his insistence on taking a pause before cutting in onto his leftfoot. Cutting in at times is great, gives the FB something to think about, but maybe his poor crossing leads to lack of confidence in the quick ball after going outside their FB?

....Ake can play RB so should be the replacement, failing that Franno can move back (although recently when he did this he looked not so good!) and Mings could come in to CB.

Ake for me though....

Three games in and I've see little or nothing to think, when we go forward, it's a good option for us.

Maybe to help close out games or because of some in-game tactical response to a specific scenario but to as a starting option it just doesn't feel right. Can anyone else see it working? Apart from EH and JT.

And yes, this could come back to bite me badly. I'm just commenting on what I've seen of it so far though.

;