Adam Smith

Garbo - 9/5/2017 11:26

...think his attacking abilities are as good as most full backs in this league...but his sloppy defending and sometimes ill timed tackling are areas he needs to improve on...which to be fair I think he has done from where he was last season..

No need to add to much to this,as pretty much my thoughts too!
I was only saying exact thing to my dad today when talking about AFCB and Smudger.
He had a good game against Stoke last Sat and generally as long as he stays away from defensive areas he's a good player and is usually involved in most attacks. However,he's usually half a yard or three on the wrong side of an attacker when defending,choosing a poor position then lunges and goes to ground with costly freekick,or worse outcome awarded against us.

Like we have established - Trippier has shown as capable to be first choice if Walker leaves, Smith would be back up to him, no problem with that - I think he would be good enough as back up.

I think he'd be too good to be a backup, and being that Spurs aren't huge payers, and he's been released by them before, I'm not sure how much he'd want to go. I'd be very wary of returning to an old employer if they'd made claims my work wasn't good enough for them

Smith has mastered the art of falling over to make sure the foul is given, a good fit for THFC. He could play in front of a back 3 similar to the Moses role for CFC.

cockbeard - 10/5/2017 09:46

I think he'd be too good to be a backup, and being that Spurs aren't huge payers, and he's been released by them before, I'm not sure how much he'd want to go. I'd be very wary of returning to an old employer if they'd made claims my work wasn't good enough for them

He wasn't released. We paid Spurs £250k for him. I think he'd be quite keen on a return TBH but I don't think we'd be able to agree a fee with Spurs.

The arguments about him being good going forward but suspect defensively should mean he's more successful at a club playing more on the front foot, like one of the top six. So that's almost an argument for them signing him!

Where they may come unstuck is if Trippier was unavailable for, say, a CL game against Barcelona.

As someone who came through their youth system, he's also count as a 'club homegrown' player and so help fill up their European squad quota there.

Seems unlikely but not impossible.

The Alchemist - 12/5/2017 07:30

Chelsea are also said to be watching Smith - scouting him again tomorrow.

Ooooh maybe we could sell Adam Smith to Chelsea and get Ake in part exchange.

Ake + £10m = Adam? :hihi:

Just imagine, Earshot! Replace Poch with Conte as appropriate:

Poch: I give you 10 million for Smith

Eddie: <spits out tea> Suit yourself!

Poch: So we have deal? You are as soft as your team!

Eddie: He's all yours <hangs up phone as quickly as possible>

PRE SEASON BEGINS

Poch: What Wayne Rooney's skinny Australian brother doing here? He is more out of depth than Ryan Fraser in puddle.

Back in the news again...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/812659/Bournemouth-Adam-Smith-Tottenham-transfer-news-Mauricio-Pochettino-Kyle-Walker

Absolute rubbish.

Smith is lucky to get a spot in our team as a defensive player.

Tottenham of Chelsea?

You're having a laugh.

Don't understand the negativity toward smith. His defending has significantly improved and remains a key atttacking threat for us. He is a better back up to trippier (assuming walker goes) than Ben Davies is to Rose. Had a bad spell around the time he moved to midfield and played when not fully fit which hindered his game. I would rather have him than Clyne or Walker.

I would have Walker over Smith 100 times. Quality deliveries, absolute powerhouse, lighting quick.

Adam Smith has been good for us but there is no way in a millions years he's better than Walker.

simonhpieman - 4/6/2017 09:20

I would have Walker over Smith 100 times. Quality deliveries, absolute powerhouse, lighting quick.

Adam Smith has been good for us but there is no way in a millions years he's better than Walker.

I think walker would be exposed at afcb as a poor defender but at Spurs with a great defence and midfield he can bomb forward and not worry so much. As for delivery, trippier far superior in making that final ball than walker imho. Got to remember the way afcb play exposes our defenders.

Or does Adam Smith expose the defence?

Good going forward but at Five foot Three, and with horrible positional sense, the rumours of a move to Spurs or Chelsea are nothing but off season bullshft.

;