Adam Smith

AFCBade - 4/6/2017 08:42

Don't understand the negativity toward smith. His defending has significantly improved and remains a key atttacking threat for us. He is a better back up to trippier (assuming walker goes) than Ben Davies is to Rose. Had a bad spell around the time he moved to midfield and played when not fully fit which hindered his game. I would rather have him than Clyne or Walker.

Agree with this statement, an adaquate right back

dragonm8 - 4/6/2017 10:26

Or does Adam Smith expose the defence?

Good going forward but at Five foot Three, and with horrible positional sense, the rumours of a move to Spurs or Chelsea are nothing but off season bullshft.

Got to admit when initially on loan in L1 I thought he was a bit of defensive liability so I was disappointed when he signed permanently. Didn't play much in championship but over the two years in Prem he has improved dramatically as a defender. Think last season Daniels and smith played more cautiously than in the first season in Prem but remain an attacking threat.

....we are three better defenders short of being a top six side IMO....but that said we are okay for attacking wing backs...bit of a conundrum?

If Spurs want to progress then they need to replace Walker with someone better than Trippier/Smith.

Also cannot see Levy and Spurs spending £15 million+ on someone who will come in as back up

Garbo - 4/6/2017 11:39

....we are three better defenders short of being a top six side IMO....but that said we are okay for attacking wing backs...bit of a conundrum?

Three defenders off being a top six side?

Whilst I agree with you, I think we are also 2 midfielders off a top six team as well.

Scoring goal isn't a problem, but as you have mentioned we are three defenders and two midfielders off being a top six team.

That's probably 60 millions worth of talent.

dragonm8 - 4/6/2017 12:02

Three defenders off being a top six side?

Whilst I agree with you, I think we are also 2 midfielders off a top six team as well.

Scoring goal isn't a problem, but as you have mentioned we are three defenders and two midfielders off being a top six team.

That's probably 60 millions worth of talent.

With Keane of burnley valued at £25m, i dont think £60m goes very far. Saints want that for van dijk alone!

AFCB Lost in Brum - 4/6/2017 22:30

....we are three better defenders short...
dragonm8 - 4/6/2017 12:02
...I think we are also 2 midfielders off a top six team as well...

The defenders clearly are the priority but the midfielders are important too if we're to push on.

agree - look at spurs with the combination of skill and strength provided by dier/wanyama and dembele in the midfield to protect the defence. Same at Chelsea with Kante and Matic. They can both afford to do this as they have sublime talent upfront.

Yep stand down - Looks like they are going for Pereira, looked that way from the Evening Stannit report last night.

And relax??

beds cherry - 14/7/2017 08:40

Yep stand down - Looks like they are going for Pereira, looked that way from the Evening Stannit report last night.

And relax??

"Evening stannit" reminds me of the old morecambe and wise newspaper seller sketch "morny stannit". Is that where it comes from?

boscombe botn - 14/7/2017 22:22

FFS is Cook and Francis centre backs with Ake right back the worst thing that could happen?!

I think you mean Francis at right back BB....at least i hope you do... :hihi:
Either way it wouldn't be great.

Btw is this Pereira the same Pereira we were looking at last year?

borisatha - 15/7/2017 08:30

Add Brad Smith to make it 7. Makes 3 on the left.

Haven't read most of this thread, but 7 across the back against West Brom?

Sounds like Eddie is parking the bus and then taking the wheels off.

:yikes2:

We have struggled with FB depth for several seasons now. No real replacement for RB when resting Smith and Franno. Needs sorted.

Uttoxeter cherry - 14/7/2017 22:01

beds cherry - 14/7/2017 08:40

And relax??

"Evening stannit" reminds me of the old morecambe and wise newspaper seller sketch "morny stannit". Is that where it comes from?

Yep! Rumbled :grin:

;