AFC Bournemouth v Brentford

I must have been at a different game…
There were plenty of nice passages of play where we took players on and tried to create something. Unfortunately nothing came off but there was no fear to try to create something out of nothing, unlike in the Parker era.
But if you didn’t notice that, fair enough, you are maybe more glass half empty than I am. That’s fine by me.

To me was the day O’Neil showed he is not the man for the job. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for not attempting to attack a desperately low on confidence Wolves but to do it again and have a second home game bereft of intent or entertainment should mean he is viewed as a caretaker then back in as a coach.

Set up was wrong.. Moore starting blunts us especially when he goes out to the wing to cross to Tavernier. Billing wasted on left side, Cook wasted further forwards… Solanke is wasted when not on last shoulder. Amateur tactics and errors.

Then to not spot it and change it… then when you need goals you remove one goal threat, ignore Anthony, Dembele and Marcondes, who have their faults but know where the net is and offer something different, to bring on Christie the same hard working, no pace couldn’t score in an under nines game with rush keepers, midfielder as the others you had on the pitch.

Just not PL standard management. So we will probably appoint this week…
Neil, we drew after a massive period with no games.

Players have no continuity after these ridiculous breaks.

If we had won 1-0 you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

It was lacking in quality yes, but it wasn't as bad as you are making out.

4 games unbeaten.

Not too shabby.

To me was the day O’Neil showed he is not the man for the job. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for not attempting to attack a desperately low on confidence Wolves but to do it again and have a second home game bereft of intent or entertainment should mean he is viewed as a caretaker then back in as a coach.

Set up was wrong.. Moore starting blunts us especially when he goes out to the wing to cross to Tavernier. Billing wasted on left side, Cook wasted further forwards… Solanke is wasted when not on last shoulder. Amateur tactics and errors.

Then to not spot it and change it… then when you need goals you remove one goal threat, ignore Anthony, Dembele and Marcondes, who have their faults but know where the net is and offer something different, to bring on Christie the same hard working, no pace couldn’t score in an under nines game with rush keepers, midfielder as the others you had on the pitch.

Have to agree, today was tactically just bizarre.

How in God’s name can you have seen Phil Billing play football and think that it’s a good idea to stick him out wide on the left?

Moore as a lone front man just doesn’t work, and it never will. He needs to be an impact sub and nothing more.

Solanke is our most important player and needs to be played in his actual position.

We looked very good with three at the back and wing backs against Newcastle and Forest, why not just stick to what we’re good at?

Also puzzled at why the likes of Dembele and Marcondes aren’t given a go when we offer so little creatively.

I didn’t think the quality was that bad today outside of both sides finishing. Some slick passing at times from both teams, some good counterattacking play. The Wolves game was way worse IMHO. Certainly wasn’t good today mind you I just thought it was mediocre.

For me, both are penalties. I don’t understand how he’s not given the first one. It’s slightly harsh but he takes him out.

The second one, by the barest sliver of the law maybe it can’t be given. But I mean, his arm is outstretched, it stops it going to a dangerous area. He borderline slaps at it. The handball rule really is nonsense now. There is no objective approach that’s fair. You see penalties given all the time for an “accidental foul”, but yet this can’t apply to handball.

Also, I thought it was for an accidental ricochet. I don’t think you can call that an accidental ricochet. He makes the decision to kick out at the ball, and HE fucks it up. That should be the fair punishment; he fluffed his own lines. It not like someone hammered the ball at him and it came off his leg. I think it’s bullshit.

Neil, we drew after a massive period with no games.

Players have no continuity after these ridiculous breaks.

If we had won 1-0 you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

It was lacking in quality yes, but it wasn't as bad as you are making out.

4 games unbeaten.

Not too shabby.
We have no continuity because he keeps randomly changing the team. In both games vs Forest and Newcastle we were transformed after going to wing backs. Why do we keep reverting to a back 4?

Personally thought it was a pretty low quality affair. Our defence did well to nullify the threat of Toney and Mbeuno but we lacked any sort of offensive wizardry and in the end it was a pretty awful watch. Was an interesting line up that immediately showed Billing up as a round peg in square hole, didn't work out and effectively we lost half a player.Was very frustrating seeing opportunities to break being halted and the ball going backwards and in the end it was apparent that we were happy to win the point. Now before KO I would've been happy to take a point but during that game, and seeing how ordinary Brentford are, I thought the opportunity to go for the win was there. Especially after only 65 minutes Brentford showed their hand with a triple substitution that made no impact on their team. 10 mins after that we could have changed ourselves and gone for the win. A point is a point but it could've been three if we'd been a bit more adventurous. Three home games without a goal. Not a good stat either really

I agree with this. GON has steadied the ship and made us solid at the back (although to be fair to Parker, we haven't played a top 4 opponent under GON), but 2nd half of Forest aside, we look pretty blunt and lack creativity. Today in particular, the set-up wasn't right and didn't get the most out of the players out there.

I think some fresh ideas from an experienced manager with a couple of shrewd buys in Jan could genuinely keep us up this year. With GON staying on to keep learning as assistant to provide some continuity.

Getting rid of Parker was 100% the right call but think we have a platform to build on now and should've had more of a go at them today.

We have no continuity because he keeps randomly changing the team. In both games vs Forest and Newcastle we were transformed after going to wing backs. Why do we keep reverting to a back 4?
A shortage of CB's??? Maybe if Fredericks was fit, Smith might have become a three.

A shortage of CB's??? Maybe if Fredericks was fit, Smith might have become a three.
Just play Lerma there. We function better as a team with a three, it shouldn’t matter that it’s not his natural position if it’s for the good of the team.

Genuinely surprised how poor Brentford were. We completed ceded the game to them, hoping to hit them on the break and they just didn't know what to do. Their performance reminded me of some of the worst PL matches under Eddie Howe. I don't think they'd have scored if we'd have carried on playing for another six hours.

If that is anything to go by, nullify Toney and they become a heap of crap. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in or around the relegation zone come the end of the season.

Probably he didn't go to a back 5 because fredericks and Kelly weren't available

Personally, I'm glad he was in the middle of the pitch today.
When opposition have the ball I'd agree.
However, too often Lerma was the main distributor just inside their half, allowed space to place the pass which is often safe and lacks the killing defence splitter. Cook should be the one there in charge of flow and distribution, not Jeff. Maybe they wouldn't allow Cook as much time , close him down and potentially giving more space behind?
So wrong people in wrong position in that set up in my view, but a clean sheet and a point, so not all bad

can someone explain the current foul play/penalty rules please;

the first one, matey slides in out of control clips JZ then knees the ball away

the second one hits their player on his outstretched [unnaturally positioned] arm, similar to jeff the other week, which was a pen.......apparently.....

any ideas?

can someone explain the current foul play/penalty rules please;

the first one, matey slides in out of control clips JZ then knees the ball away

the second one hits their player on his outstretched [unnaturally positioned] arm, similar to jeff the other week, which was a pen.......apparently.....

any ideas?

Also, it hit his own arm because he was too **************** to kick the ball properly. How much protection can a player get??

Genuinely surprised how poor Brentford were. We completed ceded the game to them, hoping to hit them on the break and they just didn't know what to do. Their performance reminded me of some of the worst PL matches under Eddie Howe. I don't think they'd have scored if we'd have carried on playing for another six hours.

If that is anything to go by, nullify Toney and they become a heap of crap. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in or around the relegation zone come the end of the season.
Completely agree. Couldn’t see them ever scoring, seemed bereft of ideas. All we needed was for one of our counters to come off or one of the two penalties to have been given and it would have been three points to us. Today just wasn’t our day offensively or refereeerly ;)

;