AFC Bournemouth v Leicester City - Fifth Round FA Cup

Agreed on your last point although I would argue how he's doing at Wolves goes a long way to dispel the PE teacher clueless manager opinion some push on here.

But I would argue against your point it's worked out as the season hasn't finished yet and if our current form continues through March AIs position might become under threat. The owner has made significant investment over the summer so a 16th or 17th place finish may well be below whats expected.
All about those last 4 games last season for me. Win a couple of those and I just don't see how GON would have been sacked.

It was a hard enough decision anyway.

When I'm asked about how well he's doing at Wolves I say - decent coach with good players - in my view a better standard 'on the whole' than ours.

You'd rather be out of the cup with 27 shots that have a quarter final tie against Coventry between us and Wembley? Results trump style of football and always will.
Some years ago the consensus on here was that people wouldn't want to watch a team playing Iike Stoke or West Brom even if it meant staying up. People preferred Eddie's approach.

Maybe that's changed.

I saw Anne Widdecombe once...she was 'holding court' with a fairly large audience in the corner of a motorway service station cafe near Exeter...awful woman...trying to undo much of what the Suffragettes fought for..she doesn't agree with having women vicars or women getting to high positions in the Church ..or Abortion.
...I didn't seek to join her slavering, rapt audience...more likely I'd have looked for a bargepole to poke her with... haha!

Last edited:
Some years ago the consensus on here was that people wouldn't want to watch a team playing Iike Stoke or West Brom even if it meant staying up. People preferred Eddie's approach.

Maybe that's changed.
Not for me. Annoyed me when he changed his… still think we’d have stayed up if he hadn’t.

Maybe that's changed.

It's true but it still doesn't mean that style is more important than results. Stoke and West Brom were getting the same results as we were. If it won us a cup or got us into Europe everyone other than Neil would be delighted.

It's true but it still doesn't mean that style is more important than results. Stoke and West Brom were getting the same results as we were. If it won us a cup or got us into Europe everyone other than Neil would be delighted.

It’s a short term strategy. No one had a long term vision in football to be successful playing ugly football. It’s why Stoke and West Brom have since been relegated and why the managers who play that style never last longer than 12 months in a role.

If you want a team with an identity and a philosophy, you don’t build it on that style of football.

It’s a short term strategy. No one had a long term vision in football to be successful playing ugly football. It’s why Stoke and West Brom have since been relegated and why the managers who play that style never last longer than 12 months in a role.

If you want a team with an identity and a philosophy, you don’t build it on that style of football.

Maybe not but that is the extreme and here we're talking about Gary O'Neil who played pragmatic but often decent football. You could also say that open expansive football isn't a long-term strategy for bottom half teams. Brighton have seemingly managed it atm but it won't last forever.

Maybe not but that is the extreme and here we're talking about Gary O'Neil who played pragmatic but often decent football. You could also say that open expansive football isn't a long-term strategy for bottom half teams. Brighton have seemingly managed it atm but it won't last forever.

Like anything online, it's all in the nuance and debate.

As a semi regular defender of GON in his time here, I thought some of the comments about his style were exaggerated, and I'd still echo those thoughts. Plenty of legitimate reasons to give GON stick over some shockingly poor games (Palace I'm looking at you) and welcome a change of course, without glossing over his whole stint which included some real bright patches, and in it's own way brought a logical structure to our game.

I expect AI to be managing at the top end of European football eventually - he's clearly got a higher ceiling than GON and I fully understand why we changed. Iraola is probably in the right place here to develop his craft before he moves onwards and upwards. But because it's a development process, it's bound to be bumpy.

Watching us play fast paced chaotic football that creates 20 chances a game, only for the chances to fizzle out or the shots to head into row Z, is a difficult watch itself. Not sure what AI can do to fix that, he can't put the ball in the net himself.

Like you I have no idea who will be in the lineup. So I won't be worrying about it.
I will enjoy the game whoever turns up
The problem is that if we are absent of both our main strikers our chances of scoring will be substantially reduced. So in which case, if Burnley take the lead it will effectively be 'game over' for us. So in which case your enjoyment of the game will be significantly reduced.

The problem is that if we are absent of both our main strikers our chances of scoring will be substantially reduced. So in which case, if Burnley take the lead it will effectively be 'game over' for us. So in which case your enjoyment of the game will be significantly reduced.

No it won't it will be enhanced. If Burnley take the lead it means we are guaranteed to win the game plus also the next four games. In which case your enjoyment of those games will be reduced.

I think he's taking the piss as a response to your idiotic post.
With respect. I don't believe my post is idiotic. You must surely grasp that if we without out two main strikers our chances of scoring and winning the game is drastically reduced. If they take the lead it will be a vastly up hill struggle for us. So what is idiotic about that?

Like anything online, it's all in the nuance and debate.

As a semi regular defender of GON in his time here, I thought some of the comments about his style were exaggerated, and I'd still echo those thoughts. Plenty of legitimate reasons to give GON stick over some shockingly poor games (Palace I'm looking at you) and welcome a change of course, without glossing over his whole stint which included some real bright patches, and in it's own way brought a logical structure to our game.

I expect AI to be managing at the top end of European football eventually - he's clearly got a higher ceiling than GON and I fully understand why we changed. Iraola is probably in the right place here to develop his craft before he moves onwards and upwards. But because it's a development process, it's bound to be bumpy.

Watching us play fast paced chaotic football that creates 20 chances a game, only for the chances to fizzle out or the shots to head into row Z, is a difficult watch itself. Not sure what AI can do to fix that, he can't put the ball in the net himself.
How the screaming f√ck....has Iraola clearly got a ' higher f√cking ceiling' than O'Neil....where the f√ck do folk get this type of sh*t from...
How in the name of Lord Harry Rock are two Managers in the middle of the PL going to be any different in Ambition ...and how do posters on a Fans Forum have the ability to judge who is the more likely to be successful ?

;