AFC Bournemouth v Sheffield United

I don't like to single out individual players for poor performances, but our goalkeeper let us down. Aside from that, I saw a lot of energetic attacking build-up, but not always good judgment about how to finish it. I think it's hard to coach that. I thought Mepham played well, among others.
The short turnaround for the Luton match seems like a good opportunity to make changes to the starters. Neto and Tavernier would get a rest, for me. Maybe Kluivert, too. I would also consider lining balls up at 20 yards and making Christie, Cook, and Billing kick them into the empty net until they fall over. That's probably counter-productive, though.

I don't like to single out individual players for poor performances, but our goalkeeper let us down. Aside from that, I saw a lot of energetic attacking build-up, but not always good judgment about how to finish it. I think it's hard to coach that. I thought Mepham played well, among others.
The short turnaround for the Luton match seems like a good opportunity to make changes to the starters. Neto and Tavernier would get a rest, for me. Maybe Kluivert, too. I would also consider lining balls up at 20 yards and making Christie, Cook, and Billing kick them into the empty net until they fall over. That's probably counter-productive, though.
Time for ramsdale to re-sign?

Maybe they just add an extra minute or two on at the end? If they don't do that already it's probably the simplest solution. Sending a goalie off for time wasting would cause uproar, especially if it happened in the first half. Also, tbh, if we were 1-0 up against Man City I don't think any of us would want Neto to hurry things up.
The ref holds his watch up with flourish to show he's adding on time for the time wasting. The issue is the added on time just gets subjected to more time wasting. The game has to stop eventually or we'd still be there at 6pm . Give the keeper some warnings and then book him. I get the issue is no ref wants to send off a keeper so have a word with the captain and tell him that if he doesn't have a word with his keeper to stop the time wasting then he'll book him instead or aswell !
I get the time wasting, of course ,and would expect us to do the same as the parameters are there to get away with it. It's just so frustrating to see straight from the first kick off

TLDR of the stats.

Records tumble despite the draw. Highest xG, most penalty area touches, most attempts, most big chances, most shots on target, most touches, most passes, most crosses, most successful headers won.

The average position of the team shows only 3, of the 16 players being in our half.

No attempts from Shef U after their second goal in the 63rd minute. xG in the last 20 minutes was AFCB 1.57 Shef U 0.00

The handball thing is one of the many rules they've messed around with so any contact with the hand in the build up to a goal is handball, I think, but at no other time in the game. It's 2 tier handball.
Seems bizarre that 'they' can seem to just randomly change the laws of the game at the end of each season, presumably just because 'they' can!

What was wrong with the 'old' rule that it's not handball if there's no intent to handle?!

Surely there's a need to encourage more goals being scored, rather than just randomly ruling out goals where there was clearly no intent to handle!

Last edited:
My marks (FWTW)

Neto 5 At fault for both goals one poor parry straight to their player and one soft punch when he should have caught the ball into his body.
Smith 6 Not his best game of recent times unlucky to be carded though
Mepham 7 Did little wrong and solid generally
Zarbarnyi 7 Defended and carried the ball forward well
Kerkez6.5 some good driving forward play nearly scored but for a good save, defensively got in trouble a few times
Tavernier 5 out of form and needs a break from the first XI IMO
Christie 7.5 good display but spurned a few shooting opportunities by firing high or wide
Cook 7.5 Action packed effort covered well at RB when Smith went off
Kluivert 6 a bit subdued and couldn’t really get a foothold in the game
Solanke 6 awful penalty was fairly well shackled, his goal being chalked off was harsh but largely ineffective

Dango 8 Turned the game with his energy and drive great header for the goal
Sinisterra 7 some mazy runs and helped ignite the comeback
Billing 6 got stuck in had a great chance to win it but skied his shot
Scott 6 busy took a few corners that troubled their defence
Unal 6.5 took his goal well looks a useful player

The ref holds his watch up with flourish to show he's adding on time for the time wasting. The issue is the added on time just gets subjected to more time wasting. The game has to stop eventually or we'd still be there at 6pm . Give the keeper some warnings and then book him. I get the issue is no ref wants to send off a keeper so have a word with the captain and tell him that if he doesn't have a word with his keeper to stop the time wasting then he'll book him instead or aswell !
I get the time wasting, of course ,and would expect us to do the same as the parameters are there to get away with it. It's just so frustrating to see straight from the first kick off
What happens if the captain is on a booking? How can you possibly book the captain because the keeper is taking the pi$$? It needs a referee to issue two yellows for time wasting. If that happened just once, the whole thing would change.

Not sure we are quite as good as the Forum thinks we are.....
...it seems at the present time Andoni is getting 'found out' ...
...whereas O'Neil for example, that guy at Wolves, is finding out that he can manipulate opposition teams and managers reasonably easy and with flair if he chooses to.....people thought he was just a jumped up average 'coach'.
Whilst O'Neil is doing well at Wolves, if we had been 2-0 down after 65 minutes at home last year, we wouldn't have battled back to get the point.

O'Neil wouldn't have been brave/mad/inspired enough to take off both full backs and go for it.

And it is exciting to watch.

Last edited:
Whilst O'Neil is doing well at Wolves, if we had been 2-0 down after 65 minutes at home last year, we wouldn't have batted back to get the point.

O'Neil wouldn't have been brave/mad/inspired enough to take off both full backs and go for it.

And it is exciting to watch.

Yes was saying that to mate earlier.

Highly unlikely GON or Parker woukd have been as brave as AI was. Which is very reassuring imo.

What is likely to have happened is carried on in same vain, tapping the ball around the final 3rd with not expected level of urgency, with all sheff u players behind the ball. Desperate pot shots from edge of area and not much more as the game whimpered out in drab disappointment. With little bravery or adventure in terms of changes to style/tempo and formation.

Highly unlikely GON or Parker woukd have been as brave as AI was. Which is very reassuring imo.

What is likely to have happened is carried on in same vain, tapping the ball around the final 3rd with not expected level of urgency, with all sheff u players behind the ball. Desperate pot shots from edge of area and not much more as the game whimpered out in drab disappointment. With little bravery or adventure in terms of changes to style/tempo and formation.
I came away disappointed not to win, but also pretty sure we'd have lost the game last season. I won't be alone in that.

Tbf it's not like O'Neil didn't win points from losing positions last season is it?

Tbh, I can't really remember, most games were so dull. I do remember the abject surrenders at Leeds and at home to Spurs though. Nothing against GON, he did his job and kept us up. I do prefer AI style though but it has to filter through into improved league position.

Forest and Spurs away, Fulham and Leicester at home was 12 points from losing positions if I recall correctly.

Forest and Spurs away, Fulham and Leicester at home was 12 points from losing positions if I recall correctly.
Don't dispute that, for some reason I am remembering some of the real crap negative stuff that happened. The Forest away was the only one I remember where GON actually changed tactics when he brought Fredericks on at HT and pushed us forward, I think it was the second goal we conceded just before HT that forced his hand, he probably wouldn't have done it if we had gone it at 1-0 down.
Anyway GON has gone, and I am enjoying the games and the style a lot more but as I said results are the bottom line of it all.

;