AFC Bournemouth v Wycombe Wanderers

billythekid

UTC Legend
Second From Top v Second From Bottom

Well after that performance against Huddersfield Town that saw five good goals, it would be good to carry that on against our next visitors to Dean Court Wycombe Wanderers. Certain names bring back certain memories and for me it was the Big Man’s debut on his return to our club from Crawley in January 2009, signed by Eddie Howe who had recently become our manager. Wanderers were top of the league at the time, but the Big Man gave their central defenders a torrid time and the Cherries won 3-1. It was the start of the upturn in our clubs fortunes and that particular Grimsby Town game and goal by Fletch towards the end of that season. After this saw our rise up through the leagues.

That season of 2008-09 saw Wycombe Wanderers finish third in the table and promotion into League 1. They spent one season in this league and were relegated back down into League 2. They were again promoted at the end of the 2010-11 season again in third place back up into League 1. But again they only lasted one season and were back in League 2 for the 2012-13 season.

In September 2012, Wycombe player Gareth Ainsworth took the job of manager of the Chairboys (High Wycombe was known for making chairs), they remained in this league until the end of the 2017-18 where again they were promoted in third place into League 1. They then spent two seasons in League 1 and the end of the second season (2019-20) they were promoted into the Championship via the play-offs.

Gary Ainsworth’s team have had a poor start to their first season in the Championship. Home and away they had seven straight defeats. Away from home they have won 1, at Birmingham 1-2. They have drawn two, 1-1 at Derby county and 2-2 with Preston NE. They have lost six, 5-0 at Blackburn Rovers, 2-0 at Luton Town, 1-0 against Reading, 2-1 against Norwich City, 2-0 at Nottingham Forest and 2-1 at Barnsley. Their home record, W 1, D 3, L 5. They are 22rd in the table with 11 points and AFCB are 2nd with 34 points.

The last time we met Wycombe Wanderers at Dean Court was on 2nd January 2012 in League 1, we beat them 2-0, scorers Wes Thomas and Michael Symes, a good result which happened to be on my birthday. In our home league games we have W 8, D 1, L 2.
In all competitions home and away W 13, D 6, L 6.

AFCB Team News
Diego Rico will be back from suspension. No new injuries reported from Saturday. So just Arnaut Danjuma and Josh King who were close to coming back from injury, but not featured in the matchday squad yet. Another player missing was Chris Mepham through injury at Swansea.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke, high on confidence and our leading scorer with 8 and joint top with assists with David Brooks on 4. They looked a good partnership against Huddersfield Town. But with the way our team are playing, it is the team as a whole to watch, with some of the youngsters making their debuts from the bench. Not forgetting the ‘oldies’, Asmar Begovic, keepers tend to be remembered for the negative things, rather than the positive things they do.

Wycombe Team News
Players who have been out injured, Ryan Tafazolli, Uche Ikpeazu and Curtis Thompson.

Wycombe Player To Watch
Joe Jacobson seems to be one of their strong all round players, the other is Scott Kashket.

Last edited:
Seeing this fixture brings to mind that win at home to Wycombe in L2 when they were top and flying, kick starting our -17 fightback. Return of Fletch, that Pitman screamer.

We all know its true Bournemouth style to struggle here, especially if the players go in with an assumption of superiority. Roll the sleeves up, get stuck in, match their effort, only then the quality will come through.

Dont think this will be a pushover tbh. Important we keep the last few games tempo, and dont revert to the stuff from some of the earlier games, especially if, as I expect they show little ambition offensively.
If you were Wycombe’s manager, after seeing our performance from yesterday, it is hard to imagine that you would set them up to come here and have a go at us. I think they’ll park the bus and slash the tyres. I think it will probably be a different type of game and could prove to be a tough old night for our lads. Any kind of victory will do. We will need to fight hard and be patient to achieve it IMO. We need to be able to win these type of games if we want to remain in contention for automatic promotion.

Seeing this fixture brings to mind that win at home to Wycombe in L2 when they were top and flying, kick starting our -17 fightback. Return of Fletch, that Pitman screamer.

We all know its true Bournemouth style to struggle here, especially if the players go in with an assumption of superiority. Roll the sleeves up, get stuck in, match their effort, only then the quality will come through.

See above in the opening of preview.

Anyone remember playing them in the fa Cup in early 80s on the slopping pitch, we won 3-0 i think. I remember going but not much about the game

The team with the best goal difference versus the team with the worst.

I'm going for a 0-0.
That’s what the Predictatron 2000 says after I punched in all of the numbers. Apparently these two stats cancel each other out, so 0-0 it will most likely be :(

If you were Wycombe’s manager, after seeing our performance from yesterday, it is hard to imagine that you would set them up to come here and have a go at us. I think they’ll park the bus and slash the tyres. I think it will probably be a different type of game and could prove to be a tough old night for our lads. Any kind of victory will do. We will need to fight hard and be patient to achieve it IMO. We need to be able to win these type of games if we want to remain in contention for automatic promotion.

Of their six defeats away from home, they have lost 2-1 at Norwich C and 1-0 at Reading, these two teams are in the top six at the moment.

Also when we lost to Preston at home they were sitting second in the away table, Wycombe are second from bottom

Last edited:
I think JT should focus on the left field clobber that Ainsworth will pitch up in.

It’s all well and good wearing.black and pitching up every week looking like the Don Corleone of the Arctic, but how is Jase going to compete with a leather jacket, a medallion spattered bared chest and skin tight jeans?

I think JT should focus on the left field clobber that Ainsworth will pitch up in.

It’s all well and good wearing.black and pitching up every week looking like the Don Corleone of the Arctic, but how is Jase going to compete with a leather jacket, a medallion spattered bared chest and skin tight jeans?

He certainly is not your typical football manager,looks more like an 80s rock star,I think he plays in a band doesn't he?

I like Wycombe,they are my second team thus season due to gaining promotion by default and being complete underdogs.

Always enjoyed visiting their place but one that sticks in the memory for me for some reason is when they were managed by Martin O'Neil and their strike force was one of the oldest in the league,Cyrille Regis and Simon Garner,a sun drenched afternoon on the old South End and I think we tanked them 3 or 4 nil,can anyone remember that one and the score and scorers?

He certainly is not your typical football manager,looks more like an 80s rock star,I think he plays in a band doesn't he?

I like Wycombe,they are my second team thus season due to gaining promotion by default and being complete underdogs.

Always enjoyed visiting their place but one that sticks in the memory for me for some reason is when they were managed by Martin O'Neil and their strike force was one of the oldest in the league,Cyrille Regis and Simon Garner,a sun drenched afternoon on the old South End and I think we tanked them 3 or 4 nil,can anyone remember that one and the score and scorers?

Martin O’Neil was their manager from 1990 until the end of the 1995 season.

Here are the results.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=359&team2_id=2898&teamTabs=h2h

Seemed to remember manager O'neil being sent off ?

Of their six defeats away from home, they have lost 2-1 at Norwich C and 1-0 at Reading, these two teams are in the top six at the moment.

Also when we lost to Preston at home they were sitting second in the away table, Wycombe are second from bottom
Sounds like they’ve got plenty of form and are relatively decent at parking the bus when required then. I fully expect the same against us but like the teams you mentioned it is vitally important that we too find a way to win !
I think it could well be a pretty ugly game :(

;