AFCB Heartbreak Moments

Red_Dez

First Team
1) Reading away in the first Defoe season, 3-1 up In the last game of the season and heading for the playoffs which would be against Reading, Darren Caskey appears from the bench to inspire the biscuitmen back to a 3-3 draw. Still can see Graeme Murty scampering back to clear a late effort from us off the line.

2) Grimsby Auto Windscreen shield final at the old Wembley - golden goal decider, awful watching their fans going nuts and nothing we could do about it.

3) Djimi Traore showboating into his own goal to deny us an away fa cup tie at Liverpool...then getting beaten by Burnley and having them take Gareth O’Connor, Wade Elliot and John Spicer off us at the end of the season.

Carlisle on the last day 2008. We were completely out of it, survival was impossible, but somehow we were on the verge of what would have surely been the greatest escape. Hope had returned, I believed that we would do it! Even a draw would have been enough if only Doncaster could have avoided defeat at Cheltenham, but fate was against us. SOD couldn’t have done us a favour could he?

Letting in a last minute equaliser at home to Wimbledon in the fa cup in 1978 before conceding another in extra time to deny us a 3rd round home tie with saints. Wonderful Ted half-volley gave us the lead and there was an ominous inevitability about us letting in the equaliser.

Losing at home to Grimsby around Easter in 1961-62....3-2 a Rafferty penalty I think sealed it......and was the result that virtually ended our promotion hope....we had taken 3 points off the leaders Pompey. Home 2-0 and away 1-1.
Grimthings finished 3 points ahead of us.

March 1972 - peak of Bond era storming away with the 3 rd Div Ted Mac & Boyer scoring for fun. Home to who we thought were remote challenger Bolton with 10 games to go. Lost 1-2 and won only 2 of last 9 games. Blew what should have been a triumphant season we know not why.

two moments stand out for me....the game home to Brighton in 1972 which we drew and it pretty much sealed our promotion fate in what was an incredible season that ended so low.......then we lost Super Ted followed by Bond and half the team......it took years to recover from those setbacks..

Then the Leeds debacle in 1990 which hurt the club so much with relegation although it wasn’t down to this one match....I blame Redknapp who made too many poor calls in recruitment to keep us up...

Luckily the highs of recent seasons have more than made up for these times....

two moments stand out for me....the game home to Brighton in 1972 which we drew and it pretty much sealed our promotion fate in what was an incredible season that ended so low.......then we lost Super Ted followed by Bond and half the team......it took years to recover from those setbacks..

Then the Leeds debacle in 1990 which hurt the club so much with relegation although it wasn’t down to this one match....I blame Redknapp who made too many poor calls in recruitment to keep us up...

Luckily the highs of recent seasons have more than made up for these times....
That Brighton game was incredible.

That Brighton game. A group of us were 17 and on a field trip to the Lakes. Our teachers had forgotten vital supplies. We were marooned at Keene services and listened to score updates on our trannies! A surreal day all round.

Vaguely remember going to Shrewsbury away for an end of season game in the early nineties? where we had to win to have a chance of the play-offs?

We took the lead in the first half with Paul Morrell? heading in a near post corner from virtually underneath the cross bar and we were a goal up at half time.

Needless to say that we were utterly shite in the second half and ended up getting stuffed 2-1 or 3-1.

Vaguely remember going to Shrewsbury away for an end of season game in the early nineties? where we had to win to have a chance of the play-offs?

We took the lead in the first half with Paul Morrell? heading in a near post corner from virtually underneath the cross bar and we were a goal up at half time.

Needless to say that we were utterly shite in the second half and ended up getting stuffed 2-1 or 3-1.
I think John Bond was Shrewsbury manager? Or did I just make that up?

Old Trafford 1982 ( Peter Beardsley’s only ever Man Utd appearance) and Harry Redknapp putting the ball into his own net.

Drawing at home to Hartlepool last day when a win would have got us in playoffs. Have I made this up? Only been making up for a dreadful week by necking wine like water since 530

Drawing at home to Wrexham last day a couple of years previous when a win would have got us in playoffs.

On both occasions Wigan finished sixth; I hold a grudge against them to this day.

;