AFCB Heartbreak Moments

Vaguely remember going to Shrewsbury away for an end of season game in the early nineties? where we had to win to have a chance of the play-offs?

We took the lead in the first half with Paul Morrell? heading in a near post corner from virtually underneath the cross bar and we were a goal up at half time.

Needless to say that we were utterly shite in the second half and ended up getting stuffed 2-1 or 3-1.

Yes caved in at the end but the real killer was the hope created for a while by false rumours that other Rivals were losing. See we had fake news back then too!

Crawley 3 AFCB 1 2012(?) - an abject performance under Groves. Big Frank came on and promptly went off injured. We'd signed Tubbs for a record fee but he didn't play. Davids didn't exactly set the world alight. It was awful. I don't think I've ever come away from a game so disappointed and dejected.

Why is it that these memories seem to stay so painfully fresh in the memory?!

I remember getting a last minute ticket with my old man to see us miss umpteen chances in drawing 0-0 v Wrexham therefore missing out on the playoffs (Mark Stein season).

Definitely the 3-3 Reading game was an emotional rollercoaster. Ecstasy to agony. Hated Darren Caskey and Reading for ages! Don’t know how Purches effort didn’t go in!

Recently it was Adam Smith conceding a last minute pen v Sheff Wed (the season we went up). I was convinced that was our chances blown before our rivals imploded!!

Vaguely remember going to Wrexham away at some point, last game of the season? where we needed a win to stay up?

Needless to say that the ref seemed to give them absolutely everything and we ended up not getting the result we needed!

Possibly mid to late nineties? Perhaps someone could kindly help me with this - thanks.

1) Reading away in the first Defoe season, 3-1 up In the last game of the season and heading for the playoffs which would be against Reading, Darren Caskey appears from the bench to inspire the biscuitmen back to a 3-3 draw. Still can see Graeme Murty scampering back to clear a late effort from us off the line.

IIRC that was from a late overhead kick attempt from Purches? that got cleared off the line.

Not quite as spectacular as that bizarely impossible recent Milner clearance though - but still as incredibly frustrating!

Crawley 3 AFCB 1 2012(?) - an abject performance under Groves. Big Frank came on and promptly went off injured. We'd signed Tubbs for a record fee but he didn't play. Davids didn't exactly set the world alight. It was awful. I don't think I've ever come away from a game so disappointed and dejected.

Yeah but free pies and a proper ground.

And look what happened soon after...the 1-0 defeat away at Coventry. The most soul destroying game of football in history.

A week later though and Howe was back in the stands...

Vaguely remember going to Wrexham away at some point, last game of the season? where we needed a win to stay up?

Needless to say that the ref seemed to give them absolutely everything and we ended up not getting the result we needed!

Possibly mid to late nineties? Perhaps someone could kindly help me with this - thanks.

We'd have gone down even with a win, as it happened.

Yeah but free pies and a proper ground.

And look what happened soon after...the 1-0 defeat away at Coventry. The most soul destroying game of football in history.

A week later though and Howe was back in the stands...

There were free pies?? Dammit - missed that! The other thing I remember at that Crawley game (other than the fact we were terrible) was the squabbling breaking out amongst the fans, some wanted Groves to be given more time which made the Groves out brigade even more irate - lots of bitchy chanting back and forth at each other

There were free pies?? Dammit - missed that! The other thing I remember at that Crawley game (other than the fact we were terrible) was the squabbling breaking out amongst the fans, some wanted Groves to be given more time which made the Groves out brigade even more irate - lots of bitchy chanting back and forth at each other
The pies were rather good.

Reactions: DJ
2) Grimsby Auto Windscreen shield final at the old Wembley - golden goal decider, awful watching their fans going nuts and nothing we could do about it.

One of my first enduring football memories, that. Silence sweeping over the Bournemouth end as we realised what had happened (I think the goal was up the other end, too?).

A few seconds watching Grimsby going mad, but followed by one of the most rousing renditions of "we love you Bournemouth" to date. Felt like we were singing louder in defeat than Grimsby were in victory, maybe at the thought of us just being there at all.

Was still a great day out. Can still remember all the scarves trailing out of car windows on the way up the M3.

Got rid of Groves next day which ironically turned it into a positive!

I drove up to Crawley with my son after spending part of the afternoon with him at Poole Hospital having his plaster taken off his ankle which he had broken playing five a side football. Couldn't find anywhere to park so blagged double parking in their car park as he was on crutches.

We sat in their temporary stand with the Cherries fans next to some chap who took a call on his mobile when Demouge went off and whi immediately left his seat and went dashing around the ground to the dressing rooms. We thought it was his agent.

Ironic as well that it was a clash of heads with Eunan O'kane that broke Frank's nose. We probably have to thank that incident for the sacking of Groves and for the return of Eddie!

It was Tuesday 2nd October 2012. Here are the teams:-

https://www.skysports.com/football/crawley-vs-bmouth/teams/262802

Last edited:
Remember Shaun Cooper, (having been offered a contract on reduced wages by Groves in the summer, deciding to leave and join Crawley) sarcastically tweeting that night "Money well spent?". Can't say I blame him!

;