AFCB - Pic of the day

If I remember, 5-0 down in 50 minutes, we got 3 back, then conceded a late two goals. Mariner and Rafferty I think.
Yes Al, we were 0-5 down and got back to 3-5. My other memory of this game was the pre-match presentations on the pitch for 'Southern Sports Personality of the Year' for 1974 . There was a rostrum on the pitch. Our keeper Kevin Charlton was voted in 2nd place! After this game, Kieron Baker was restored to the team, Charlton never played in the 1st team again and was given a 'free' at the end of the season. He sort of had the last laugh though, as he ended up playing for Hereford in the old Second Division.

came across these today whilst having a pre-brexit clear out. some great authors in the book ;)
In the introduction to the book, a collection of nostalgic anecdotes from the old Dean Court's distinctly chequered history, it says, ".....and when the new stadium is built, come and make some memories of your own".

If only we'd known back then what destiny had in store for us !

Extremely rare. A wartime match. Only one player for us was actually a member of the team. The rest were stationed nearby and formed a team up under our name.
The legendary Sam Bartram was in goal. Played nearly 600 games for Charlton in a one club professional career.

Attachments

• afcb98.jpg
    afcb98.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 48
Some great names on that team sheet. I particularly liked Corporal Crack of Grimsby Town. Presumably he had his own fishing smack.

And Boscombe's number 11 was surely Brazilian with the single name "Anthony".

Anyone on here ever played at the Tidworth Oval?

Some great names on that team sheet. I particularly liked Corporal Crack of Grimsby Town. Presumably he had his own fishing smack.

Unfortunately not, but another one who's professional career was blighted by the war after playing a big part in getting them to the FA Cup Semi Final in 1939:

"Having turned professional with the Mariners in 1936, Crack became the youngest debutant for Town in the top flight. He played a huge hand in getting his side to the semi-finals, scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win over Chelsea in the previous round to book Town’s place at Old Trafford. He served for the Royal Armoured Corps, but didn’t play again for Town after the war."

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/...s/grimsby-town-140th-anniversary-look-2021052

Extremely rare. A wartime match. Only one player for us was actually a member of the team. The rest were stationed nearby and formed a team up under our name.
The legendary Sam Bartram was in goal. Played nearly 600 games for Charlton in a one club professional career.

Great piece of local football history. I remember my dad talking of the Tidworth Oval and playing there for his regiment in the late 30s. Many other of our Dads who were in the Army might have also played there or did athletics on it during their training.

;