Ake or Training Ground?

We are a prem team we have ambitions not only to stay in the top flight but also to go on and better year after year! Fogging our best player is not going to help ! Every time I watch him I think thank goodness he plays for us, if he does go it will be an indication by the nature of his departure, if we fight to keep him then it shows we do still have an inkling to thrive in the prem

I'd hate to lose him, people talk about Cook, Brooks etc but Ake is the only one who could realistically start for a top 6 side now.

Not sure how we could keep him if Man Utd offered 50 mil and offered him 120k per week though, if we offered him 120k per week then Cook, Wilson, Fraser, King etc etc would all want 100k+.

It isn't really an either/or question. Up until now we've been mostly seen as a collective of over-achievers and, Spurs reported interest in King on the back of his hot streak aside, have never had to deal with the attentions of one of the genuinely big clubs.

However Ake, and possibly L Cook, both feel like players that could start getting the behemoths circling.

With the best will in the world, if a CL class team in England wants them they're likely to want to go. Not just for the money but for the genuine chance to win something every year and play in the biggest competitions.

In that case we can't really begrudge it and it's about getting the best deal for us. That doesn't mean rolling over and accepting the first bid because the player wants the move. Hold out for the best money we can then reluctantly accept.

Spending all that fee on transfers would seem to be a mistake when the club has other needs. Even Arsene had to cut his cloth for many years in this scenario. It doesn't make us tinpot, just prudent. Many other clubs have done the same down the years.

Sure, give EH a big slice to find a replacement but building the training ground or getting the stadium rolling would bring genuine long term benefits for the club.

EH may not be able to find an instant as-good-as replacement for £20-25 million but we aren't really shopping in that store anyway.

Excellent post.....All a club like us can do is to enjoy players like Ake while we have them....hopefully that will be for another season at least ...but he will go...whether we [or Eddie] like it or not.

Agreed. And with his talent if he doesn’t go then we haven’t developed him right. The key is the pipeline. Is there a central defensive version of Lerma lurking in Spain to replace him?

Sod the effing training ground......WE WANT A DECENT !!!!!SIZED STADIUM !!!!!! !We don't need a better training ground..the players are the fittest in the PL ain't they?
I agree with you but we need to move the training ground before we start on the new stadium. The sad thing is, when was the stadium planning permission supposed to go in, wasn't it last month? I would be very surprised if they've even got an architect to start designing the new ground yet, so how gullible have we all been...... except for Al of course.

Ake has always struck me as the one player who looks completely and utterly at home in the Premier League. We need him plus 10 not -1. Of course money talks - but would that £50m really go to a training ground, stadium or worthy replacement? It never seems work as neatly as that...

I agree with you but we need to move the training ground before we start on the new stadium. The sad thing is, when was the stadium planning permission supposed to go in, wasn't it last month? I would be very surprised if they've even got an architect to start designing the new ground yet, so how gullible have we all been...... except for Al of course.
I think you'll find there were quite a few saying this would never happen,even when the club said it would...:whistle:

Ake has always struck me as the one player who looks completely and utterly at home in the Premier League. We need him plus 10 not -1. Of course money talks - but would that £50m really go to a training ground, stadium or worthy replacement? It never seems work as neatly as that...
No, I thought it would two weeks ago. But now think it would just go in our owners pocket, which is a sad state of affairs. As SDD said, it might of been all about the bottom line and the owner got very very lucky with who the manager is, who ever chose him. No one generally speaking buys a club to make money, unless you get into the premier league and that was a very long shot when max took over.

What evidence is there that the owners are pocketing cash ? From what I see they were not even charging interest on their loans.

What evidence is there that the owners are pocketing cash ? From what I see they were not even charging interest on their loans.
Look at the figures mate, nearly 1/2 billion pounds in and counting and minimal going out. Yes, I know the figures for wages, new floodlights, the relaying of the pitch etc. Totally disproportional imo. And I said THINK, I would love to be proved wrong.

Look at the figures mate, nearly 1/2 billion pounds in and counting and minimal going out. Yes, I know the figures for wages, new floodlights, the relaying of the pitch etc. Totally disproportional imo. And I said THINK, I would love to be proved wrong.

If there was loose change about they would be using it on the things they need.

Well if we're looking at the figures, why not look at the actual figures. They do get released every year

Official figures (from the stadium thread)
There is interest being charged on loans £2M a year on £60M (~3% so inflationary)
About 50% is wages (highest paid director is £2.2M a year)
About 40% is "everything else"
About 10% is profit

But back to the OP. I'm really worried there are Bournemouth fans who think we keep throwing money* at Ake to keep him and plunge the club into administration.

* which in their own opinion we don't have otherwise there'd be a stadium.

Well if we're looking at the figures, why not look at the actual figures. They do get released every year
Yes, I know the actual figures for the year and that's why I said disproportional. I just don't think it's a good medium to long term business strategy. That's my concern, I've supported this club for a long time, I like being in the premier league/championship and definitely wouldn't want to go back to league 1. It's the piss poor communication from the club that's the really annoying part, for which there's excuse.

Official figures (from the stadium thread)
There is interest being charged on loans £2M a year on £60M (~3% so inflationary)
About 50% is wages (highest paid director is £2.2M a year)
About 40% is "everything else"
About 10% is profit

Those aren't quite the figures or the details given in the latest accounts, for the 11 month period to June 2017. The audited accounts do not paint such a sinister sounding picture.

The directors loans are £33 million (in effect to Max) and £19.5 million (to Peak6). Neither loan has a repayment date and both are interest free. The accounts report an implied interest rate on these debts, and on money owed to other clubs on staged transfer payments, because the actual interest rate (nil) is below market rates. I stand to be corrected but I think that accounting practice does not mean that the club actually pays out any money in interest on implied interest rates. In other words, we aren't actually paying £2 m in interest to anyone.

Salaries accounted for £71.5 m of the £136.4 m turnover, which is 52.4%. The highest paid director received £1.25 m. Most of the "everything else" was transfer business, the net initial cost of new deals in the period and staged payments or receipts on old deals.

Profit before tax was indeed about 10% of turnover. Other than turning a modest 10% gross profit on turnover, there is nothing to suggest the two shareholders are trousering vast sums, especially taking into account that they have both funnelled tens of millions of pounds into the club. Money they are not asking to be repaid anytime soon.

As I have said before, I am disappointed in the lack of progress on the training ground at least, but the multi million pound cost isn't my money to spend.

Last edited:

;