Ake

I highly doubt that this injury would make any difference at all to a potential transfer. Ake has an excellent injury-free track record with us, and a hamstring injury is not serious in the long term

If they could buy him back for 40M (as reported) summer 2018, then there's no way the buy back would still be at the same level now in Winter 2020. A sell on is normally a percentage of any profit so it stays the same. However buy-backs don't work like that, and haven't for a long time. There will be a lifespan, and if it's a long lifespan the buyback amounts will be staggered, rising the longer the player is with the "new" club. This reflects the players development taken place at the "new" club as well as the expected increase in the market value of any player due to increased expenditure

Anyone saying 40M now, or even last winter break, loses all credibility with me, as there's no way that the contract would be structured with the same buyback amount over that long a window

Well I'd hope the whole club had moved on from selling Terminator to Pompey and forgetting Pompey had a 50% sell on so got him half price

Was it confirmed as a pulled hamstring? The way he went down looked a lot worse than that; it’s obviously not great still but a pull shouldn’t keep him out for too long should it?

Was it confirmed as a pulled hamstring? The way he went down looked a lot worse than that; it’s obviously not great still but a pull shouldn’t keep him out for too long should it?
I am no expert but it looked classic hamstring. Time out, who knows - will have a scan early this week to determine if its a strain or a tear and if the latter how bad a tear.
Bad enough to lose Ake but to also have Cook and Smith out at the same time is crazy bad luck. Time for others to step up to the plate.

I’m more worried someone comes in for Lerma at the moment. How much longer does Lerma want to play with no attacking players?

Blake presumably negotiated the afobe deal too which was a good bit of business.

maybe Chelsea refused to sell ake unless there was a clause as they knew he would get better and we were desperate given we had an injury crisis ....isn’t that every year around this time?!

This Aké clause reminds me of the Zubar clause which said we had to offer him a year contract extension on £20k a week if we ever made the PL.

Looking back it seems a ridiculous clause to agree to. However, his signing was a bit of a coup for us at the time so imagine the furore if the deal fell through for a side 21st in L1 because we rejected such an absurd clause

;