Ake

Wasn't the Begovic fee initially reported at £15M then lowered day by day to about £8M. Expect the same here.

AlGard - 24/6/2017 22:57

20 mill..Jesus.
Hope there is a "rainy day fund"

Seems like the last 12 months has seen a crazy inflation in transfer fees. Van Dijk at £60 is setting a new level. No way salah worth £39m for example. If we want to be above 9th place or even remain that high we need to sound big so £20m is the new level we need to be at given burnley spent £13m on Brady and nearly £11m on Hendrick, two ok players. I do fear a shift in the allocation/amount of tv deal money though at some point which could leave us financially exposed.

It sounds like one hell of a lot of money....IT IS a hell of a lot of money but money in football is so skewed in relation to the 'normal world' then I think your right in saying the only way to measure it is in relation to other premier league deals.
For the player we get (and we know what we're getting ) , he's young and has the attributes then I think it is worth it .
The fact that it could almost build a new stadium !!! But then that's just football .

It is a lot of money but is nothing more than the going rate for a young central defender with lots of PL experience with massive potential on top of that.

Boro want £20 million for Ben Gibson, Maguire went for close on £20 million and Keane would be the same.

Personally, I think Ake is better than all 3 of those - and certainly has the potential to be a lot better.

The Alchemist - 25/6/2017 08:56

It is a lot of money but is nothing more than the going rate for a young central defender with lots of PL experience with massive potential on top of that.

Boro want £20 million for Ben Gibson, Maguire went for close on £20 million and Keane would be the same.

Personally, I think Ake is better than all 3 of those - and certainly has the potential to be a lot better.

Agree and I definitely prefer us signing Ake for this compared to a washed up JT

MB1980 - 25/6/2017 09:16

The Alchemist - 25/6/2017 08:56

Agree and I definitely prefer us signing Ake for this compared to a washed up JT

Agree, just wonder whether we did want Terry until we thought we could get ake instead?

I don't think we ever wanted Terry.

I think Eddie was respectful of the mans career and didn't want to come out and say he didn't want him. Paul Merson said that JT was worried Bournemouths style of football would leave him exposed. If this is true he was correct and Eddie would have known this too. If (and it's a big if) they did actually meet this, and the chance of being progressed as a coach would have been the conversation.

My personal theory is that JT will go to Villa. I think he will want to avoid playing Chelsea twice.

Neil Dawson - 25/6/2017 09:38

I think Eddie was respectful of the mans career and didn't want to come out and say he didn't want him. Paul Merson said that JT was worried Bournemouths style of football would leave him exposed. If this is true he was correct and Eddie would have known this too. If (and it's a big if) they did actually meet this, and the chance of being progressed as a coach would have been the conversation.

My personal theory is that JT will go to Villa. I think he will want to avoid playing Chelsea twice.

This, yes I hope he goes to villa too!

At first glance, 20m seems like something huge. And for us, it is. But as others have said, when you compare it against other transfers, Maguire in particular, I would have Ake over him any day, so the price is balanced really. Not sure Ake would solve our defensive cover still though, we were not watertight when he was in the back four. But I think his potential is worth the move still, seeing as we get a centre back, a left back and a central midfielder too. Despite us moaning that Chelsea took him back, he would have learned from being part of a title winning squad and he's now broken into the full Netherlands squad too. He's only going to get better.

Yes, I can also see those hesitating about the future but lets be honest, if many teams went out of the PL, they would equally be worried. If we stay at this level, which should happen with these kinds of signings, then we are ok!

Neil Dawson - 25/6/2017 09:38

Will avoid Chelsea for a few years to come if he goes to Villa

blandford_cherry - 25/6/2017 09:23

Begovic, Defoe and Ake would be a great summer of business

A fantastic statement of intent by the whole club just as long as we hold on to our other players that EH wants to keep.

A couple of "Who? Never heard of him" classic EH signings as well and next season is looking good.

;