Ake

If Ake does come, along with Defoe and Begovic and maybe another, it could be an interesting season ahead. This shows that the club is looking to build on last season and not just settle for being a mid/bottom half of the table PL club. I'm getting excited. Nurse!

Superb signing although I hope we're not spending £20 million on "Ake the CB" therefore hoping Eddie still has a sizable chunk available to go and get one

wingsnwheels - 25/6/2017 14:01

This shows that the club is looking to build on last season and not just settle for being a mid/bottom half of the table PL club.

Unlikely to settle for less given that we finished in the top half of the table last season.

Neil Dawson - 25/6/2017 09:38

I don't think we ever wanted Terry.

I think Eddie was respectful of the mans career and didn't want to come out and say he didn't want him. Paul Merson said that JT was worried Bournemouths style of football would leave him exposed. If this is true he was correct and Eddie would have known this too. If (and it's a big if) they did actually meet this, and the chance of being progressed as a coach would have been the conversation.

My personal theory is that JT will go to Villa. I think he will want to avoid playing Chelsea twice.

It was strange though the way the Terry deal was meant to be "wide of the mark" and then the echo published that leader that was withdrawn and re-published.

afcb_rednblack - 25/6/2017 15:09

wingsnwheels - 25/6/2017 14:01

This shows that the club is looking to build on last season and not just settle for being a mid/bottom half of the table PL club.

Unlikely to settle for less given that we finished in the top half of the table last season.
9th out of 20 is pretty much mid table surely?

wimborne cherries - 25/6/2017 14:45

Superb signing although I hope we're not spending £20 million on "Ake the CB" therefore hoping Eddie still has a sizable chunk available to go and get one

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Conte thought he was a CB, Eddie thinks he is a CB and Ake now has said he believes his best position is as a CB.

i wasn't fussed on Ake. He was eye catching and scored a few goals, but his run in the team marked a dreadful set of results (Liverpool at home aside). so is £20 Million too much? Dunno. Sounds pricey.

But if you think about getting Defoe, Begovic and Ake for £30M combined then that sounds like a cracking set of business.

I like Ake but he's not worth 20m, once again we're getting shafted but I wouldn't expect anything else from the off field staff. Sack them all.

so a 22 year old fringe player of the chelsea squad that became champions, who's also a full dutch international, isn't worth a few million more than harry maguire whose team got relegated or ben gibson whose team also got relegated who'll probably move for the same amount?

what did you realistically expect we'd get him for when we had an 18m bid already turned down?

I stopped worrying about the money a long time ago. I would be very happy if we signed Ake - I think he's far from the finished article but I honestly believe his potential is higher than Steve Cook, who is obviously an excellent player. Get it done!

It's not worth even trying to rationalise transfer fees. You either pay the going rate or you don't.
I would rather buy players that know the Prem League than take a punt on those playing abroad.

Let not forget the £20m will likely be heavily claused, you'd imagine things like appearances for us and KNVB, possibly things like European qualification will be included.

Also look at the value points he has for us:

Utility defensive player, including positions we know we're light on such as CD and CDM
We know he fits into the team dynamic
He knows how we play and knows what to expect from Cook should he partner him.
He's a full Netherlands international, I know they're not what they were in the past but they are still a top international side.
He's young
He knows where the goal is!
There is a reason Conte recalled him, there was a real chance he'd be needed for the champions!
He's EPL homegrown should we ever make Europe.

Also worth noting Chelsea don't particularly want to sell and he has 3 years left on his contract.

Not an exhaustive list but I think it gives a good breakdown of why we rate him at £20m in the current market.

Let's get him.
If for nothing else, so we don't have to keep hearing "Jordon Ibe, Bournemouth's record signing . . ."
Although given his youth and the high-stakes way he plays, he'll probably be getting slagged on here next year just like Ibe . . .

AFB1231 - 26/6/2017 00:38

Let not forget the £20m will likely be heavily claused, you'd imagine things like appearances for us and KNVB, possibly things like European qualification will be included.

Also look at the value points he has for us:

Utility defensive player, including positions we know we're light on such as CD and CDM
We know he fits into the team dynamic
He knows how we play and knows what to expect from Cook should he partner him.
He's a full Netherlands international, I know they're not what they were in the past but they are still a top international side.
He's young
He knows where the goal is!
There is a reason Conte recalled him, there was a real chance he'd be needed for the champions!
He's EPL homegrown should we ever make Europe.

Also worth noting Chelsea don't particularly want to sell and he has 3 years left on his contract.

Not an exhaustive list but I think it gives a good breakdown of why we rate him at £20m in the current market.

This is a comprehensive list of reasons to get ake. I also think that he is the type of player that excites the crowd, bit like Yann did, I get excited when he pushes forward to support the attack. Fraser is getting the same X factor too.

;