Alex Scott

You can't judge him on a scale using what will likely be the record transfer for a PL player as the only reference point. As you move to the top of the market, the extra perceived % in a player's ability costs you a lot more.

Otherwise we may as well say is he 6250 times the player Harry Arter was?

Meanwhile, Rice has over 200 Premier League appearances, has won a European trophy, established himself as first choice in the England midfield with over 40 caps compared to a guy that has 80 Championship appearances and hasn't even broken into the England U21s yet. Scott may only be 19 but at the same age, Rice was making his debut for the full England team.

The Bellingham comparison is closer to realistic since they're both players with only Championship experience at this point in their career. On potential though, JB was streets ahead. He was 17 when he moved and would make his full England debut a few months later. Way, way ahead of where Scott is when AS is two years older.

He might turn out to be amazing and an absolute snip at that price but it loads a lot of the risk onto us. Look at how Lewis Cook's career has gone. It hasn't been bad by any means, but he hasn't lived up to the hype he had at Leeds and just after his move. Injuries have clearly played their part, which is in no way his fault, but that happens. Could happen to Scott as well.

The Brentford model, for example, tended towards agreeing lower fees where possible but including sell-on clauses. That way if they get a hit player both teams benefit when they move. For example, Exeter got a nice chunk from the Watkins move to Villa.

Let's be realistic. If he is as good as Bristol City are claiming we'll only be a stepping stone to give him PL experience before a move to a top six club. If it turns out the PL is tougher than they imagine (it is, but that doesn't mean he can't still be effective), then maybe he sticks mid to lower table with us or another club at a fairer value.
Agree. I'd much rather we paid a fair bit less up front but agreed to a bigger sell-on clause, should he prove to be a massive hit in the PL. It just reduces the risk for us, should he have injury problems or just not suit our team or the PL.
You can't pay the price he would possibly be worth, if all goes perfectly, up front. You have to hedge your bets a bit. I think we would be daft to pay top dollar for this player at this moment in time. Spot on.

"AFCB leading the race" claims the tittle tattle.

£25m seems an extraordinary fee though. Bellingham was only £20m...
He has huge potential. If he develops as he should that fee will end up being a bargain. But I doubt it will be £25 mil in the end anyway.

Always amuses me how punters on here can get so indignant re the cost of potential transfers as if it's their own money!
Bill will pay what Bill wants to pay.

Bill will pay what Bill wants to pay until the FFP rules tie us in knots in a couple of seasons, unless we manage to sell players on at a profit.

I don't care how much Bill loses. I do care if AFCB are hamstrung in the future by financial imprudence now.

Bill will pay what Bill wants to pay until the FFP rules tie us in knots in a couple of seasons, unless we manage to sell players on at a profit.

I don't care how much Bill loses. I do care if AFCB are hamstrung in the future by financial imprudence now.
Fair point.

I think the point is that you do not know the accounts, nor will you ever know the accounts. So let the people in charge make those decisions and not worry yourself over things you can't control?

I think this guy is worth it. Solid, aggressive defensively and exceptional technical skill, flair, vision, intelligence, workrate.

He's not a proper defensive midfielder, more someone I'd imagine woukd contest Rothwell for that role. Although those two could partner, depending on how Iraola likes to setup. Bit like how Eddie didn't play with a 'proper' more limited destroyer cdm until Lerma arrived.

Perhaps that's why we elected not to try harder with Lerma, as the long term vision, strategy doesn't require that kind of cdm?

Huge potential by all accounts. As an investment to compete now but develop further with a eye on resale value it makes some sense.

It would be a hell of a lot of money for an upgrade on / competitor to Rothwell. Given we don't have much in the way of full backs or defensive midfielders.

Once again I am asking for.... AFC Bournemouth to sign some full backs :)

Agree. I'd much rather we paid a fair bit less up front but agreed to a bigger sell-on clause, should he prove to be a massive hit in the PL. It just reduces the risk for us, should he have injury problems or just not suit our team or the PL.
You can't pay the price he would possibly be worth, if all goes perfectly, up front. You have to hedge your bets a bit. I think we would be daft to pay top dollar for this player at this moment in time. Spot on.
Problem with that is most of the championship clubs need money now so want upfront payments

All we do will sign them on long contracts and spread the costs over 5 years

;