Alex Scott

Do we have to go down this route of deliberately misrepresenting ND's point about this summer? It's a bit tiresome.

A new manager with new ideas and ways of playing would be better served by getting in players early in the window so they can take his ideas on board properly and together as part of preseason. That's an eminently good point.

Us signing Scott and Aarons, both of whom were well known to be available all summer, two days before the season starts doesn't address that.

The counter argument is they may both have cost more earlier in the window, which would possibly have prevented other moves from happening. That's always the trade off.

I'm delighted they're (hopefully) both coming and we will have more depth in two positions that desperately needed it. Fingers crossed they can quickly integrate into the group and adapt to the style of play.
This true only if you live in a world where everything runs just as you want them to.

Otherwise it’s tiresome to hear that’s it’s a strategic mistake, or later it should have been done on the time and date of your choosing.

Do we have to go down this route of deliberately misrepresenting ND's point about this summer? It's a bit tiresome.

A new manager with new ideas and ways of playing would be better served by getting in players early in the window so they can take his ideas on board properly and together as part of preseason. That's an eminently good point.

Us signing Scott and Aarons, both of whom were well known to be available all summer, two days before the season starts doesn't address that.

The counter argument is they may both have cost more earlier in the window, which would possibly have prevented other moves from happening. That's always the trade off.

I'm delighted they're (hopefully) both coming and we will have more depth in two positions that desperately needed it. Fingers crossed they can quickly integrate into the group and adapt to the style of play.
Yes because everything is as simple as that. Many stars have to align for a deal to go through. Yes, in an ideal world you get them in early. BUT, that is rarely the case. It is shown time and time again in every window, yet experts like ND have to moan about it like the club aren't trying to get the deal doen ASAP. Countless managers have explained this, yet people still choose to ignore it and make it out like it's a simple process.

As AI said, ideal is to have everyone early July ready for pre season but rarely works like that.

The fact internationals were still in flow late June didn’t help but also good players usually don’t get sold without a back up so often a domino effect.

Also, we have a set budget so need to calculate our affordability - thus Aarons is a cheaper right back option so frees up a bit more budget. Could have got Scott a couple of weeks ago if paid £25m but sounds like we have got him a bit cheaper by waiting and letting others have their hand exposed.

Regardless, still be plenty of posters to slag off the recruitment team as they could do better.

As I said, there's a trade off in making moves early. Which of these you believe to be the better choice is down to individual interpretation. In many ways, these two transfers are much more open and shut than many other transfers as both, especially Aarons who Norwich were touting around and desperate to sell, were clearly available all window without other transfers needing to happen first. They absolutely could have happened earlier, albeit potentially costing more.

I'll save judgment on our overall business until the window is closed, but I'm not averse to the way we've gone about things. I think we've made some really smart moves and am very hopeful for the season ahead. Especially if we still have the ability to bring in another LB and CM.

At the same time, it's still possible to recognise as reasonable the point ND is making. It isn't some crazy theory.

If the team never quite gels and we struggle all season then he'll have called it right. If we get through the opening spell of (very tough) games alright, and go on to have a good season then the board called it right.

There was a time when we couldn’t sign anyone and relied on ‘charity’ loans..so cool your jets and remember that

Yes surprisingly quiet from our recruitment team knockers. Who would have thought that
It will be back in full force if we lose to west ham, and barely get any points over the first couple of months... which is a distinct possibility given our fixture list.

Scott/aarons are too young, lack experience, no proper midfiekd enforcer identified by tge board etc that kind of thing is my prediction:)

Amplified further by the O Neil at Wolves side show... if they start stronger than us (even with their 'easier' start to the season.Further evidence of our board making the wrong decisions etc

Thank you. Saved me saying it. I always said we would make signings… we haven’t set Iraola up correctly by leaving him with no midfielders and fullbacks he’d want to play to do a whole preseason with despite knowing that would be the case for a year.

So, good that signings look to be arriving but didn’t we all expect that?

I hope AI is not judged to harsher early on if results dont go our way. Still need a dm for me

I think the board have done a really great job with Aarons. If we'd bid for him a month ago, Norwich could potentially have asked us for £15 - £20 million because we're a PL side. But when a championship side (Leeds) eventually came in and agreed a deal for about £7m with Norwich, our board were able to hijack the deal and get him on the cheap. Only they will know if that is what they did, of course, but it's a possibility for sure. I think they may have been waiting for Wolves to bid again to see the asking price for Scott too.

As I said, there's a trade off in making moves early. Which of these you believe to be the better choice is down to individual interpretation. In many ways, these two transfers are much more open and shut than many other transfers as both, especially Aarons who Norwich were touting around and desperate to sell, were clearly available all window without other transfers needing to happen first. They absolutely could have happened earlier, albeit potentially costing more.

I'll save judgment on our overall business until the window is closed, but I'm not averse to the way we've gone about things. I think we've made some really smart moves and am very hopeful for the season ahead. Especially if we still have the ability to bring in another LB and CM.

At the same time, it's still possible to recognise as reasonable the point ND is making. It isn't some crazy theory.

If the team never quite gels and we struggle all season then he'll have called it right. If we get through the opening spell of (very tough) games alright, and go on to have a good season then the board called it right.
They’ll struggle and it will be because we didn’t sign them four weeks earlier?

Just saying I want player x now and throwing money at the solution doesn’t always work.

And I love your saying let’s judge later while Neil says why can’t we judge now.

I have no problem with ND opinions about signings, we all would agree getting them in early would be preferential.
It's the non stop slagging off of Hughes and Blake, I'm sure they're not perfect, but it's tiresome to hear it on every thread and every opportunity. They can't even have a drink in Spain without that continually being raised.
Maybe they are crap, but we have no real evidence, I can only judge them on the signings, which whatever budget we've had the last few years, seem reasonable. Not all worked out, but most have.

They’ll struggle and it will be because we didn’t sign them four weeks earlier?

Just saying I want player x now and throwing money at the solution doesn’t always work.

And I love your saying let’s judge later while Neil says why can’t we judge now.

If I can't rely on hindsight to form a judgment, how can I possibly be right all the time? :)

You mean Aarons that was on international duty?

Again, it's never as black and white as you think. Many stars that me and you don't even know about have to align. On the players personal side, and on a business side between the clubs. Just because you've read on the internet that Norwich wanted to sell Aarons doesn't mean it's a case of a quick phone call and then Bob's your father's brother. It doesn't work like that.

I have no problem with ND opinions about signings, we all would agree getting them in early would be preferential.
It's the non stop slagging off of Hughes and Blake, I'm sure they're not perfect, but it's tiresome to hear it on every thread and every opportunity. They can't even have a drink in Spain without that continually being raised.
Maybe they are crap, but we have no real evidence, I can only judge them on the signings, which whatever budget we've had the last few years, seem reasonable. Not all worked out, but most have.

The photo of them having a drink in Spain is hilarious.

As we know, 1 photo of them doing that probably means they've spent the entire summer partying and doing f'all.

I hope others don't just them so harshly on such 'evidence'!

Aarons could have been signed
You mean Aarons that was on international duty?

Again, it's never as black and white as you think. Many stars that me and you don't even know about have to align. On the players personal side, and on a business side between the clubs. Just because you've read on the internet that Norwich wanted to sell Aarons doesn't mean it's a case of a quick phone call and then Bob's your father's brother. It doesn't work like that.

Norwich wanted him sold. The player confirmed he would be leaving this summer. A deal could have been done before international duty.

"The Canaries star has already confirmed to talkSPORT he's leaving Carrow Road this summer."

The fact we waited seems like we were playing poker with the fee. Which, as I've said elsewhere, I think is smart. However, I don't feel the need to dig out any contradicting opinion about whether deals should have been done earlier.

Sums up my thoughts well.

Coming on here, being all balanced and reasonable. What's wrong with you?!

Norwich wanted him sold. The player confirmed he would be leaving this summer. A deal could have been done before international duty.

"The Canaries star has already confirmed to talkSPORT he's leaving Carrow Road this summer."

The fact we waited seems like we were playing poker with the fee. Which, as I've said elsewhere, I think is smart. However, I don't feel the need to dig out any contradicting opinion about whether deals should have been done earlier.
Isn’t that what you have just done ? ;-)

Makes me laugh, this we should have got everyone in early.

Most clubs fail to achieve that because of negotiations, waiting, often dependant on the domino effect etcetera

Look at how many transfers are being talked about today even for other clubs.

WHU sweating on getting Maguire and Ward Prowse in before Sat. What's the difference?

It's the same every year, and will be whilst the transfer window stays open, it still has 3 weeks to go!

I for one, am fucking delighted with this summers business thus far.

Isn’t that what you have just done ? ;-)

Not really. I was digging out those calling for ND and going on about why he was quiet when we were making signings when their complaints miss the point entirely.

The funny thing is, I'm happy with the signings and I think it will work out just fine. However, I can still respect someone having a different opinion about the way we've gone about the summer.

Again, you seem to be brushing over the point I'm trying to make. MANY stars have to align. Just because he wants a move doesn't make it simple.

Transfer deadline day is always busy and chaotic. Now, I couldn't tell you the exact reason for it, but the average Joe wouldn't know about what is happening behind the scenes. I can confidently say that this isn't the case because clubs enjoying paying over the odds and potentially running out of time to secure a deal. It's because it's a long and lengthy process and sometimes, these stars don't align until the very last day of the window.

;