Artur Boruc

tednphil - 28/8/2016 07:54

I agree with Badkeeper. 6 weeks concentrated training with the Polish 'keeper coaches, improves Boruc no end. He now oozes confidence and commands his penalty area.

It just shows how poor our current goalie coaches are now and have been over the past number of years. I am still convinced this is an area that definitely needs improving and fast.

100% agree as well. Neil Moss was never a Premier league standard keeper and yet he is employed to "coach" Boruc.

Missplaced loyalty is the case here.

:eyes:

Whether it makes any difference to a keeper I don't know, but Boruc looks to have lost weight over the summer. Was that a specific plan, or just a byproduct of a summer spent training with Poland rather than sat on a beach?

dscu - 28/8/2016 14:03

I agree with Badkeeper. 6 weeks concentrated training with the Polish 'keeper coaches, improves Boruc no end. He now oozes confidence and commands his penalty area.

It just shows how poor our current goalie coaches are now and have been over the past number of years. I am still convinced this is an area that definitely needs improving and fast.

100% agree as well. Neil Moss was never a Premier league standard keeper and yet he is employed to "coach" Boruc.

Moss made more top flight appearances than Eddie Howe or Jason Tindall, is their employment a case of misplaced loyalty as well?

I really don't understand this obsession with having played top flight football to be a good top flight football coach.

Just taking an example from another sport, Novak Djokovic was considered a good young player but I remember the 'experts' saying he would be top 5 and not a lot more. Then his coach Marián Vajda, who had a very average career as a player at best, turned him into an absolute tour de force.

Great coaches are made from different stuff than great players. In the same way you can be both but one doesn't guarantee tha other, it's also perfectly possble to be one without the other.

It may be Moss isn't up to be being a PL goalkeeper coach. I'm genuinely not qualified to comment and will leave that judgement in the hands of Eddie and Jason. However, whether he is or not has bog all to do with his career as a player.

I'm not sure if NM is the best keeper coach in the world, especially given how we've seen some keepers perform over the years, however you don't have to be a great player to be a great coach. Wenger, Mourinho, and Eddie as prime examples. They are two very different skills

edit: ahh, I see Kirsikka beat me there

DJ - 7/9/2016 07:29

Moss made more top flight appearances than Eddie Howe or Jason Tindall, is their employment a case of misplaced loyalty as well?

Please could someone explain how it is that when Artur plays badly (occasionally) it is due to Mossy's poor coaching, but when he plays well (a lot of the time) it is nothing whatsoever to do with Mossy's good coaching? He has been in superb form so far this season.

Having been a 'keeper who played at a reasonably high level (non-professional) I feel this is a position I am fairly well qualified to put forward my comments.

Pretty well every serious keeper can save shots, that's why they chose that position. What makes a top class keeper is his ability to command his area, catch or punch most crosses, thus taking the responsibility away from defenders who can only strain to flick- head the ball away from tall opposition players. A number of keepers who recently joined us, Camp and Allsop being the most recent had that ability when they first played for us, but over a period of time, their confidence in coming out for crosses slowly evaporates. That imo is due to poor coaching.

Last season, Boruc was poor in most games in commanding his area. After a lengthy spell with the Polish keeper coaches during the World Cup and little or non coaching by Moss, Boruc was a completely confident keeper who now comes out for and is mainly catching all dangerous crosses.

We will see how long Boruc,s confidence remains after a sustained period of Moss coaching. Luckily, in the short time, Boruc will receive better quality training with his frequent trips to the future Polish squads.

12 months old but makes an interesting list:

http://goalkeepermanual.blogspot.fi/2015/08/2015-16-barclay-premier-league.html

tednphil - 7/9/2016 11:39
Having been a 'keeper who played at a reasonably high level (non-professional) I feel this is a position I am fairly well qualified to put forward my comments.

Pretty well every serious keeper can save shots, that's why they chose that position. What makes a top class keeper is his ability to command his area, catch or punch most crosses, thus taking the responsibility away from defenders who can only strain to flick- head the ball away from tall opposition players. A number of keepers who recently joined us, Camp and Allsop being the most recent had that ability when they first played for us, but over a period of time, their confidence in coming out for crosses slowly evaporates. That imo is due to poor coaching.

Last season, Boruc was poor in most games in commanding his area. After a lengthy spell with the Polish keeper coaches during the World Cup and little or non coaching by Moss, Boruc was a completely confident keeper who now comes out for and is mainly catching all dangerous crosses.

We will see how long Boruc,s confidence remains after a sustained period of Moss coaching. Luckily, in the short time, Boruc will receive better quality training with his frequent trips to the future Polish squads

TnP, The Duck Lane Cat has spoken!

I agree TnP, although I wonder whether having to complete for a place also plays a part in his improvement.

I've always felt Artur needs to be challenged, maybe we need a better number 2 keeper to keep him on his toes?

With that logic, Eddie Howe, who was never a Premier League defender, would struggle to put on a decent coaching session for our players....

And before we are quick to hand all the credit to the Polish goalkeeping coach, worth remembering that Eddie brought in a goalkeeping fitness coach from Oldham at the end of last season to work alongside Neil Moss.

Brents Goulet - 7/9/2016 13:11

With that logic, Eddie Howe, who was never a Premier League defender, would struggle to put on a decent coaching session for our players....

And before we are quick to hand all the credit to the Polish goalkeeping coach, worth remembering that Eddie brought in a goalkeeping fitness coach from Oldham at the end of last season to work alongside Neil Moss.

What logic? I never said any coach had to be a former PL player. I said our GK coach has to be a quality coach, which imo, Moss is not.

Boruc never spent the majority of pre-season with us as he was on World Cup duty, hence his improvement this season.

Pretty well every serious keeper, is only there because they were rubbish outfield players, that's why they chose that position. What makes a top class keeper is his ability to put up with his team mates moaning after every goal he's let in without throwing a hissy fit.

If you're an ex keeper, that's more what you really meant TnP :grin:

I don't think respect has anything to do with it. Where would the sports coaching industry be if it could only be done by people who were themselves the best practitioners? It would be unsustainable and we would see a diminishing talent pool over the long term. But i certainly think we have a clash of GK coaching styles here and Boruc clearly responds better to one than the other. Once again we must defer to EH/JT as to whether they are asking our GK's to do the right things for the way we need the team to play. I'm sure Mossy is only doing what is asked but would be capable of coaching something else if necessary.
I think if you have a talent for coaching you can coach anything, its about identifying what needs to be done and encouraging your student to do it.

We will see how long Boruc,s confidence remains after a sustained period of Moss coaching. Luckily, in the short time, Boruc will receive better quality training with his frequent trips to the future Polish squads.

You're obviously the expert here, but I actually thought that one of Boruc's best attributes last season was how he commanded his area, it was only really in the games where he had a shocker, like Spurs at home, where he was poor.

He might just be more focused. I'm sure I saw him mentioned in the papers for something or other so his performances may have been affected by personal issues. Let's hope everything is sorted.

Boruc took a lot of flack last season because he fluffed up a pass v Watford and had a nightmare against Spurs, where he was supposedly injured. I think the criticism has always been unjustified.

;