Ask not what your club can do for you but.....

Topfarrier

UTC Legend
About a 100 fans took up Pompey's offer of 'season tickets for life' at a cost of 2 grand in or around 2002.....guess what...the club now want those fans to voluntary give them back :hihi: ......what would you do?...say fair enough i've had more than enough value out of the deal or sod you a deal is a deal!...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-region/portsmouth/anger-as-pompey-asks-fans-to-give-up-lifetime-season-tickets-1-8043188

Personally i'm surprised they weren't given back years ago tbh.... :hihi:

As a supporter who shelled out that much for a 'lifetime' thing, I'd be pretty miffed, but I guess they've managed 15 years out of it, and quite a few Premier League seasons in that time. So, they might have to start paying their way again, but after paying £130 a season they've certainly got their money's worth.

Pompey fan Keith says "I never believed when I bought the ticket that they would one day try and take it back"... honestly Keith? You honestly never saw that happening? Even John Westwood saw it coming by the sounds of that article and he's a moron.

Comparing apples with oranges slightly I know, but:

Did anyone on here who bought CherryShares ever expect to see that back again?

No chance.

To get 12 years out of a 'lifetime' football club offer I'd say is exceptionally good going.

northstandmark - 11/7/2017 13:52

Comparing apples with oranges slightly I know, but:

Did anyone on here who bought CherryShares ever expect to see that back again?

No chance.

To get 12 years out of a 'lifetime' football club offer I'd say is exceptionally good going.

No, bought them like I bought some small shares many years ago just to be part of the club. Went to the other Winter Garden's meeting as a shareholder, remember the Big Man outside before we went in, waiting for the result.

SlowDownDerek - 11/7/2017 13:36

Pompey fan Keith says "I never believed when I bought the ticket that they would one day try and take it back"... honestly Keith? You honestly never saw that happening? Even John Westwood saw it coming by the sounds of that article and he's a moron.

I'm missing the bit where it says "Season ticket for life (but not if we feel like taking it back when we fancy it".

Sorry SDD but a deal is a deal. I would imagine there are plenty of lawyers getting hard ons at the prospect of defending these supporters. I don't think the new owners have a leg to stand on.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.....at the moment they are merely being asked to hand them back although i'm not sure they can legally demand them back anyway.....i'm also presuming that the loyal fans that do 'voluntarily' hand them over will be given the opportunely to buy their seat back for the season....at least i'm hoping that's the case otherwise things really will turn 'ugly'...

OP asked what would you do. Seems a fair question without causing too much fuss.

If it was me I would return mine.

Depends if I felt I had been stitched or not
In Pompeys case, I think I would say fair enough, long time past and all that so might give it back
Even if they put a time on it, AFCB of old were unable to stick to promises. Shares are one things, Loan notes were supposed to legally be totally different, but PP still managed to bullpoo everyone, take their money before securing a charge on the ground as per the scheme description whilst keeping quiet about a court claim. Total rip-off (and still bitter about being mugged off)

I'm not sure that I would if I'm honest with you.

Loan notes, shares, money in buckets is all a risk to the individual that's you understand when you take these out.

Equally....the club selling 'lifetime' tickets is a risk to the club that is wholly on them. Short term capital raised but it's a limited funding stream that'll dry up quickly.

Unless there was something in the small print about the club retaining the option to recall the seat after 10 years or so I don't see what they can do.

Fans pump so much money into the club over their years of support, that goodwill only goes so far. We all love our respective teams, but as Gary alluded to above - they've been stitched up in various ways by a stream of unscrupulous characters.

Sold me a lifetime season ticket? Well that's mine mate - it's the "Business of business" after all....

And it's only 100 fans too? Just read the link - dick move by Eisner and not exactly a good way to endear himself to his new fans...

"Fans pump so much money into the club over their years of support, that goodwill only goes so far. We all love our respective teams, but as Gary alluded to above - they've been stitched up in various ways by a stream of unscrupulous characters."

They previously called on EM, but were turned away.

Adie - 11/7/2017 18:01

And it's only 100 fans too? Just read the link - dick move by Eisner and not exactly a good way to endear himself to his new fans...

We made a similar poor decision when those people were moved to make room for Sky cameras.

Fans were charged full price for their season ticket, in a seat that most of them didn't want.

Lousy PR for the sake of about 50 grand if they'd let them have that first season for nothing..

Over the 15 season that works out at just over £133 a season.

That includes 7 seasons in the PL, not bad value for money.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 11/7/2017 18:05

Adie - 11/7/2017 18:01

We made a similar poor decision when those people were moved to make room for Sky cameras.

Fans were charged full price for their season ticket, in a seat that most of them didn't want.

Lousy PR for the sake of about 50 grand if they'd let them have that first season for nothing..

Oh agreed Ken. Still think they could have cut a hole in the advertising boards for the cameras and erected scaffolding outside the ground fixed to the wall and it would have done the same job.

That was a poor decision as the majority who were moved - from the NS certainly were part of the furniture and would have been in those seats of we were in the Premier League, or Conference.

billythekid - 11/7/2017 18:15

Over the 15 season that works out at just over £133 a season.

That includes 7 seasons in the PL, not bad value for money.

The problem with a lifetime ticket is that everyone dies.

Not much value for money if you're no longer with us.

;