Ask not what your club can do for you but.....

This reminds me of Savi's £100 season tickets if you buy now offer. Unsurprisingly, when Mitchell bought the club, he asked fans to volunteer to repay the difference. That is the problem with obvious short term desperate stunts like this.

Personally, I didn't take advantage of the £100 offer. Clearly it wasn't best for the long and medium term interest of the club. Especially if you can't even be sure where the money is going.

I do have sympathy for those fans who took up these offers in good faith. However, especially for lower league clubs, finances are very tight and speaking for myself, I'd rather pay the going rate for my ST rather than exploit the naive generosity offered at the time. I'd have less sympathy if AFCB tried to pull a stunt like this now!

RobTrent - 11/7/2017 19:06

They should tell the club to stuff it.

Totally agree.
That was a lot of money for a fan to shell out,to most people it's still a lot of money now.
Typical football clubs,quite happy to take the money ,then move the goalposts later on....

They bought those in good faith, when they might not have had a club. Now they've a mega-rich owner who doesn't need that money back.

I used to work with and was friends with someone who bought one of these.

I can remember him saying that the club had tried to get them all to relinquish these on a couple of occasions before, and it must be five years plus since I last saw him.

So far from the first time this has happened.

They might have bought them in good faith but surely anyone buying something like that, especially from a football club in financial trouble, is not banking on it remaining good for their entire life.

Good luck to them if they choose to fight it but I doubt I would. They've got plenty of value out of it.

Tinpot's point above is a good one - I did take the offer up of £100 season tickets (it says £130 on my order history?) because I was skint at the time. I wouldn't take it up now as I can afford the £600 and think I get good value. There's got to be a line between getting good value and not paying your fair share to the club. Admittedly these Pompey fans deserve some value due to the risk they took handing over a large amount of cash - but free entry forever is a bit much.

I'd be happy to sell them back to the Club at the going rate (Ie life expectancy years to go x value of annual season ticket adjusted for expected inflation) but I certainly wouldn't give them back voluntarily. What mug would give them back voluntarily with so much money floating around in football these days.

I'd do them a deal that I'll keep my lifetime ticket so long as it's at a ground with under 25k capacity.

Free entry forever isn't a bit much if that was offered. They offered the deal, and some fans supported the club by taking up the offer.

Totally agree. If the club offered this deal then they should stick to it. If they want to change the deal then they need to make an offer recognising the value of the ticket to the fans concerned rather than just asking them to hand them back.

So this story came out shortly before a great signing in Pitman, not a bad way to bury the bad PR.

Paying Ipswich a fee (undisclosed) and paying Bert's Championship level wages presumably is a show of this new owner's muscle.

;